Brown Sound Effects Video

I loved both of these videos! Really good stuff!

Have you uploaded your Brown Sound preset here on the forum? I jam to VH all the time and would love to have a great preset like that.

Awesome tutorial! Thanks so much for putting so much time and effort into this and sharing with the rest of us Axe-Fx users! I've been tinkering around with your recommendations. I found that I had to turn on the Boost switch to get some extra gain (tried using 2 different guitars; 1 with a DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup, the other with a DiMarzio PAF Pro). I'm wondering if you're achieving some extra gain by increasing the level in the Input/Gate Block.

One little nuance I wanted to mention about Eddie's studio sound is the pre-delay on his reverb. You can really hear it on the intro to Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, with Eddie's guitar panned to the left and the reverb on the right. I added 100 ms of pre-delay. It adds a nice little touch. Also on Ain't Talkin', there's about a 325 ms tape delay before the amp, so the mix and feedback levels are real low.

Looking forward to more videos! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Great vid man. 2 thumbs up. You really nailed those sounds!
I've never had a great HV sound, and my band is starting to do a few VH songs, so I'll give this a whirl tomorrow. Thanks! (PS, looking forward to #3 .... and 4, and 5. :)

Great vid man. 2 thumbs up. You really nailed those sounds!
I've never had a great HV sound, and my band is starting to do a few VH songs, so I'll give this a whirl tomorrow. Thanks! (PS, looking forward to #3 .... and 4, and 5. :)

Thanks so much! I need to find time to work on #3, and update the first one with newer firmware/cabs.

make more of these please! your videos are the first in my opinion to provide hands on context to what some of those advanced parameters really do feel like! Thanks!
I agree! Great tutorial on the editing parameters that are a bit more advanced.

Really informative video! Thank you! :)
Are you plugged straight into the AXE-FX or going through a sound card?
What speakers are you using?

Last edited:
5150 great job, very instructive. :D
May I ask you something ?
Zebra pickup, what brand are they ?
I have a Gibson Les Paul 82 "Custom" Black, with pickup std. gold, mahogany body.
But they do not have the the same boost as your "pick-up" :(

Thank you ;)

Last edited:
This is the follow up video to my earlier "brown sound in 10 minutes" video -- Brown Sound Effects. Step-by-step for dialing the phaser and flanger effects, and a few other things.

tutorial style is second to none, this is the kind of stuff i'd pay for. bonus = you didn't say give this video a thumbs up, like us on facebook and follow us on twitter

Really informative video! Thank you! :)
Are you plugged straight into the AXE-FX or going through a sound card?
What speakers are you using?

Thanks!

I recorded these a while ago, and my setup has gone through several changes since this video. IIRC, I was using the Axe as my interface at the time. I'd say that's most likely here for this timeframe.

That said, I notice absolutely no difference in sound or anything else when I go through my PreSonus interface (which is how I'm set up currently).

The sound of the Axe and the screen capture were done with QuickTime, about as basic and simple as you can get. There's no post processing -- I don't even think that's an option when doing a QT screen cap. Haven't bothered to look. :)

My voice and the video were just captured on my iPhone, then spliced it all together with iMovie.

I appreciate the kind words and feedback!

tutorial style is second to none, this is the kind of stuff i'd pay for. bonus = you didn't say give this video a thumbs up, like us on facebook and follow us on twitter

Thank you! I just wanted to share some experiences, especially with folks who are somewhat newer to the unit, and hopefully help where I struggled.

I'd love to do more of these and perhaps will be able to as work priorities shift here in the coming months.

Thanks again!

5150 great job, very instructive. :D
May I ask you something ?
Zebra pickup, what brand are they ?
I have a Gibson Les Paul 82 "Custom" Black, with pickup std. gold, mahogany body.
But they do not have the the same boost as your "pick-up" :(

Thank you ;)

Hello! Thanks for your kind words. :)

The pickups in the Lester are (were) Gibson Dirty Fingers from the early 80's from what I'm told.

They have since been replaced with more traditional PAF-types from Fralin. I'm thinking of posting a comparison video using the same preset so folks can see the difference in pickup output.

WOW! What everyone else said. AWESOME VIDEO. Who says you can't get a EVH sound from a Les Paul..

Back
Top Bottom