"Brown Sound" Artist Pack | Based on Eddie Van Halen's guitar tones (ML Sound Lab)

Yep! Loool. VERY true.

I am about to order the vh pack. Any further discounts or package deals coming up for it? (Hate it when that happens just after I ordered haha) I also saw that there is a difference in what you sell between the fractal site and your own. Why is that?

Oh this is textbook - as an audio engineer whenever someone asks to turn themselves up (f.ex. vocalist wants vocals louder, guitarist wants guitars louder, bass player wants bass louder) never change the volume - just ask if it's better now and 9/10 they'll think it got better. :D
I just replied to myself with a question for you. That doesn’t work haha. To not repeat myself: pls look. Tx

These will be fun to try! For someone who said they sounded a little bright and fizzy, you may want to go to Youtube and listen to some of the isolated “stem” guitar tracks there from early Van Halen — (in fact he may have used some JBLs in a 4x12 as well).

The point is, the isolated actual tracks actually don’t sound real fat or as great when isolated- they are bright and fizzy, but that same track sounds fantastic when blended with bass and drums/mix (thank you Ted Templeman!). I have no doubts Mikko nailed the actual recorded tone, but you meed context for it. Just my two cents!

These will be fun to try! For someone who said they sounded a little bright and fizzy, you may want to go to Youtube and listen to some of the isolated “stem” guitar tracks there from early Van Halen — (in fact he may have used some JBLs in a 4x12 as well).

The point is, the isolated actual tracks actually don’t sound real fat or as great when isolated- they are bright and fizzy, but that same track sounds fantastic when blended with bass and drums/mix (thank you Ted Templeman!). I have no doubts Mikko nailed the actual recorded tone, but you meed context for it. Just my two cents!
Amen! It seems like it's a common trend, people dialling in their tones with way too much low end not enough high end.

There sure might be a disconnect between people listening to these tones for decades and never really hearing them without that great bass sound supporting it - and then me recreating that exact guitar sound. Hearing that actual sound isolated can surprise some people but "that is the brown sound". :) I personally don't think it's bright - I think it's just right. Take a listen to Welcome to the Jungle stems. Those are bright!

(in fact he may have used some JBLs in a 4x12 as well)

In fact he did ..., his live rig was 2 - 4 x 12" cabs ..., one loaded w/ "Greenbacks" and the other loaded w/ the JBL's. That said, IIRC the JBL's were never mic'ed in the studio, just the Cab w/ the Greenbacks !

Unfortunately I think the stems that are out there are captured AFTER the final EQ'ing and AFAIK the mastering as well .... I'd love to hear the original "raw" tracks that they printed ( prior to all of the "studio sweetening" ) ! IMHO that would be revealing !

And as far as reproduction of the tone, don't forget there are a couple of other 'key' items missing from the chain. He ran the Preamp section of the Echoplex EP-3 ( I wish we still had that ! ) as well as a BOSS 10-Band EQ with a frown curve too ....

In fact he did ..., his live rig was 2 - 4 x 12" cabs ..., one loaded w/ "Greenbacks" and the other loaded w/ the JBL's. That said, IIRC the JBL's were never mic'ed in the studio, just the Cab w/ the Greenbacks !

Unfortunately I think the stems that are out there are captured AFTER the final EQ'ing and AFAIK the mastering as well .... I'd love to hear the original "raw" tracks that they printed ( prior to all of the "studio sweetening" ) ! IMHO that would be revealing !

And as far as reproduction of the tone, don't forget there are a couple of other 'key' items missing from the chain. He ran the Preamp section of the Echoplex EP-3 ( I wish we still had that ! ) as well as a BOSS 10-Band EQ with a frown curve too ....
There are some bootlegs floating about from around the time they recorded their first album. The tone there is probably closer to what it sounded before all the EQ, verb etc in the studio.

There sure might be a disconnect between people listening to these tones for decades and never really hearing them without that great bass sound supporting it - and then me recreating that exact guitar sound. Hearing that actual sound isolated can surprise some people but "that is the brown sound". :) I personally don't think it's bright - I think it's just right. Take a listen to Welcome to the Jungle stems. Those are bright!

Why wouldn’t you demo the sounds with a VH backing track? Wouldn’t that prove your point playing with a backing track that has bass?

Is there a way to dial down a little of the fuzz? I get what both camps here are saying. I want to stay true to the original but maybe clean it up a bit. Kind of like the Best of both Worlds. Haha

Back
Top Bottom