Brittle high end since I downsized to 010-048 strings

There’s 10.5 gauge available. And a 13.5 for the b string.
Who knows- it might just help.
I had the same thing happen when going down to 10 and could not tolerate the loss of signal.
Especially if you do a lot of chord work using your top 3 strings.

Last edited:
Certainly covering your bases.
Is it negligible or not massive?
When you use the word definitely you cannot have it both ways.
There is a very significant difference between the tone of a 9 and 12 or even 11- for many, many guitarist.
Ever use an 18 gauge G string? Probably not because they can often sound horrible which is why they are not used on acoustic guitars.
I don’t suggest that anyone takes your word for it that string gauge definitely does not have a significant and noticeable impact-
that is clearly what you are trying to say and it’s false.
Let me guess- you use 9 thru 42 and your tired of people saying they are useles for them.
After all Tony Iommi, Eddie, Page, Brian May and Billy Gibbons all used 9 or even 8 at some point live and have great tone.
Well- in the studio they were often all required to beef those gauges up substantially.
Producers and engineers often won’t tolerate light gauges for several reasons and will strongly recommend going heavier.

Obviously the amount of impact on tone depends very much on the persons playing style and the music.
Equally important to me as the tone - light strings send a weaker signal that can negatively impact how certain effects react and the tuning stability can suck.
When I hit a note I want it to go right to the target pitch and stay there and I don’t want to be slightly out after every lead.

Last edited:
string size has negligible impact on tone, definitely wouldn't have a massive impact.
So far my ears cannot confirm that, at least not for SC Pups on a strat scale neck. On my Schecter LP type guitar the 010's sound perfect BTW, good bite, nice cleans.

How’s the nut slots?
The SS bridge will absolutely make it brighter and more brittle.
Standard fender nut. As for the SS bridge, I'm very surprised also; but definitely there's close to none difference related to that for this axe.

Thanks all and everybody for your very helpful input.

After a good night of sleep and having tried a few of the proposed ideas I decided to keep this guitar as how it was when it sounded good for me; ie with 011 strings.
In the actual configuration of this strat I will definitely not get a good sound from it with 010's, not for the songs where I push a bit more the strings.
I will just limit it's use to the strict minimum, rely a bit more on my LP model stringed in 010's and in the course of the year try to find me a HSS strat that can provide me the part between those two worlds.

Thanks again a lot for all your propositions and concerns also. This forum really is top notch.

Citation needed for beefier strings in studio.
Why bother yet?
If your not ready to acknowledge that pros have stage guitars and studio guitars -
And that they are set-up much differently.
Then I don’t see the point.
A Les Paul with 9’s and decked action probably won’t be the weapon of choice for nailing highly accurate bends in the studio with consistency.

Last edited:
Why bother yet?
If your not ready to acknowledge that pros have stage guitars and studio guitars -
And that they are set-up much differently.
Then I don’t see the point.
A Les Paul with 9’s and decked action probably won’t be the weapon of choice for nailing highly accurate bends in the studio with consistency.

Quick with the condescension but completely lacking in facts I see.

Until there's proof they used different gauges in studio, I'll continue to believe they use the same gauge in studio and live.

Quick with the condescension but completely lacking in facts I see.

Until there's proof they used different gauges in studio, I'll continue to believe they use the same gauge in studio and live.
F922A175-5568-45FE-84F4-AE979AEFBF01.jpeg
I’m not even home yet and I already found this.
But I’m far from done.
As for my condescending tone-
Your the one who was so quick with “Citation Needed” nonsense when all you had to do was address me like a man.

Last edited:
Keep cool guys, it's not a match. I got interesting suggestions and so far so good. As for me, regarding my initial subject this thread can be closed.
New subjects, new firmware...every day is a new Adventure..so many things we can do
Have a nice weekend.

Standard fender nut. As for the SS bridge, I'm very surprised also; but definitely there's close to none difference related to that for this axe.
Point about the nut shots is there may be a little slop in there from the years of larger string riding in the slot.

Back
Top Bottom