Brit Silver

neale dunham

Experienced
Hi Guys,

After reading somewhere that John Fruiscante uses, or has used, a Marshall Jubilee amp on some recordings i was particularly interested in recreating the guitar tone from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song Otherside.

So, I dialed up the Brit Silver Preset and began playing. I must mention i have owned a real Jubilee in the past (albeit a blackface version, not actually silver) but as far as i know its just the Tolex that's different? I don't remember it sounding quite as compressed.

Anyhow, for the life of me I cannot get a sound I'm happy with, so, I am reaching out to anyone who may have conquered this animal??

To my ears the sound is super compressed and has no fullness or life to it. When i dig in with the pick the sound becomes really compressed and seems to fade away?

Things to note: I Do Not use FRFR or Cab blocks : I play my Axe FX 3 straight into a Fryette Powerstation through a conventional guitar cabinet. Also, there isnt any fault with my unit, everything else sounds Stellar.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this with this particular amp?

I will obviously post my preset when i get a chance, but until then, if anyone has any preliminary thoughts id love to hear them.

Thanks.

That explains quite a bit then. Its not actually a Jubilee per se.

If its a Lerxst, that probably answers why i'm not hearing it how I remember it.

Maybe I will look elsewhere in that instance,

Thanks for that information. Does anybody know where i can start to find a tone like Frusciante's on that track?

btw, power amp modelling is most certainly on. The speakers are a EJ1250 + Celestion GT 65

Last edited:
With all the great sounding amps in the fractal and in the world, the infatuation with this amp astounds me. Carry on.

If Alex Lifeson like them enough to have a company make copies of them, there must be something going on there.

I had an original back in the day and was thoroughly unimpressed myself. Admittedly, I was more of a metal guy and I never really had a chance to crank mine which is maybe what you have to do. However, I had my '78 JMP Master Volume running into my Power Station and into the Axe the other night looking for a good match. With the Brit Silver's gain on about 4-5 and MV on 5, I was getting a very good match of my JMP with the gain on 10 and the MV on about 5. I thought it had great note definition with a minimal amount of compression at that gain setting.

So maybe give it another shot with higher MV settings and lower gain. Might have to cut the bass a little.

This amp sim is always in the table hm 😅

One sure thing is that everyone who likes it for real got troubles with the axe version .

I hope cliff will have a jubilee for Christmas 🎄

This amp sim is always in the table hm 😅

One sure thing is that everyone who likes it for real got troubles with the axe version .

I hope cliff will have a jubilee for Christmas 🎄
I found a few threads on another forum that said the Lerxst began as a 2555 clone and then Mojotone incorporated a few changes requested by Lifeson. I have no idea what those mods were or how much they would impact the tone though.

I will say, I've had a few of the originals and a reissue and the version in the Axe struck me as being in the same ball park. I even A/B'ed the Axe model against the reissue I had and thought they were at least close enough to not bother with keeping the amp. But that was many firmwares ago. I do wish the clean and rhythm clip modes were also modeled in the Axe.

Concerning my own experience, the jubilee is the only Marshall that I was about to buy after trying the stack. I really enjoy playing with it and I m not a Marshall guy normally . In the axe I just have something dirty and it’s not the same magic . Sure if you mic it it will probably suck compared to the feel of the amp and cab but … maybe that’s it yes . As they say they are a tons of other amps so anyway

I have recently bought this amp and in the beginning running something like a 4cm with my FM3.....Now : Guitar straight into the Amp - Reactive Load - FM3 for Cab Sim and Post FX...killer amp , can't compare anymore with the settings I used to have on the FM3..

You can check my journey on my Youtube channel...3-4 videos about my setup, connection and sound comparison...BUT especially listen to these clips as they are my latest setup :

Check the times codes so that you can skip the intro and acoustics ;)

I am a lover of the Jubilee and sooner or later I will buy it back.
I must say, however, that I was able to make the sim of the fx3 sound like I wanted. The problem with the fractal sim is that the simulation is passed off as something that it really isn't, the 2555 is very different from the Lerxst Omega on which the sim is based, fractal dont accept this but is the truth.

As it is now becoming a wish of many, it would be great if Cliff listened to the fans of this amp and modeled the real head with his 3 channels. The clean of the 2555 is one of the best cleans sounds ever heard. If Cliff needed it, I could gladly send him the original schematics.

@FractalAudio why not?

If Alex Lifeson like them enough to have a company make copies of them, there must be something going on there.

I had an original back in the day and was thoroughly unimpressed myself. Admittedly, I was more of a metal guy and I never really had a chance to crank mine which is maybe what you have to do. However, I had my '78 JMP Master Volume running into my Power Station and into the Axe the other night looking for a good match. With the Brit Silver's gain on about 4-5 and MV on 5, I was getting a very good match of my JMP with the gain on 10 and the MV on about 5. I thought it had great note definition with a minimal amount of compression at that gain setting.

So maybe give it another shot with higher MV settings and lower gain. Might have to cut the bass a little.
I have the 2555 sitting right here. All original, 1990. My run of the mill JCM900 MKIII sounds better. Granted, case study of 1 but it’s my experience.

This may get me booted off the forum and run right out of town but RUSH didn’t get great until counterparts (After all their hits). That includes the guitar sound. I found the sound and his playing to be a bit of a mess prior to that. I doubt the hits were recorded with a 2555, as the songs predate the amp by a decade for some of them. I feel the production, songwriting and sounds on Counterparts hold up today, 30 years later.

I really think the love for the 2555 is due more to its rarity than anything else. Thats cool and all, and I dont want to derail here any further.

Reading the first post all I could think is that the speaker impedance curve you're using might be making your tone sound lifeless. I would try again with everything as you had it, but scroll through the various speaker impedance curve models, then, if you still don't find one you like, fiddle with the parameters until the amp starts to breathe again. This parameter is a weird one to get used to, but it's so damn powerful, and it can totally make or break any tone you're going for. Best of luck!

I seem to remember the Jubilee has clipping diodes in it. Making it big tube driven overdrive pedal lol. I tried it briefly but moved on. I’ll revisit one of these days. Loved the tones Bonamassa got out of his back when he was using Marshall’s.

Apologies for the necrobump but I don’t feel like it’s worth making a new thread.

I recently picked up a 2554 Jubilee and it sounds great. The Fractal Brit Silver model is actually pretty close but a lot more midrangey - I believe I read it’s modelled with one of the master volumes fixed at 10 and then other is the one you have control over.

Is there any way to emulate the other MV? I feel like the sweet spot for my tastes is when both are around 5-6. Also, what’s the best way to approximate the “rhythm clip” mode? I know the diodes are implemented a bit different to the typical Jose style.

Lastly, it would be great to have the clean channel modded as well as the lead with the same control layout. There’s something about how you dial in the real amp that is a bit hard to get a feel for in the Fractal world. It’s so close but it would be great to easily coax the full range of tones from that amp

I just added this amp to my live presets. I run the Klone in front to kick it up a notch if needed. Between this amp and the 800 with my LP, I can cover a lot of Marshall ground!

Any alternatives for achieving a Frusciante slightly crunchy Marshall tone in the FX3?
I'm getting a good result with the new Brit 800 2203 Low amp. In the amp's preamp tab change the tonestack to the Brit Silver tonestack. It makes for a pretty good cheater Jubilee clean. For the amp controls set the gain low to around 3. I have the other tone controls mostly above 5. The cab is the dynacab 1960TV with 2 mic instances inside the cab block. The Dynamic 1 mic is near the center and then the Condenser mic is closer to the edge of the speaker.

I have recently bought this amp and in the beginning running something like a 4cm with my FM3.....Now : Guitar straight into the Amp - Reactive Load - FM3 for Cab Sim and Post FX...killer amp , can't compare anymore with the settings I used to have on the FM3..

You can check my journey on my Youtube channel...3-4 videos about my setup, connection and sound comparison...BUT especially listen to these clips as they are my latest setup :

Check the times codes so that you can skip the intro and acoustics ;)

I'm a new Chicken Picks convert. I use the extra large ones which they target to bass players. I'm missing my picking hand forefinger and need large picks. I normally use the extra thick V-Picks

Back
Top Bottom