Brit silver issue?

bke

Inspired
hi

Got my ax8 a couple of days ago, so far I think it's awesome!

Anyway one thing I was doing was going out to my real silver jubilee, into a load box and back into the ax8 for cab sims and effects. Works really well, but when comparing against the model in the ax8 the amp model sounds off, not much gain, sounds like there is something missing. Could someone try and let me know if they have similar experience. Changing to any other amp model works as expected.

I'm a former Jubilee owner and feel the same way. I was wondering if maybe the Sat switch should be engaged by default on the model or if there is just something wrong with it. I remember mine having more gain.

Interesting observation - I've got a real jubilee as well (had it since new) and one of the first presets I made used the brit silver but it sounded weak and had less umph than my amp - I figured it must be the way I was setting it up as the other models sound great and match up very well with the real versions I've got.

I don't know if it matters but there was at least two slightly different Jubs back in the day (most deferentially 4 versions according to my speculations and data collected). Differences are in rhythm clipping circuitry, tonestack, fx-loop and transformers. Some had plate cap on V1a some didn't. I don't know on which version FAS model is based on but that may be good idea to further investigate it. Circuit boards are slightly different too

Maybe you already know this but consider that master volume pot in the model has a log taper while the real amp probably has a linear taper.
See this pic to translate your knob position to ax8 values (the dashed line on the bottom)

Attachments

• f5P1V.png
    f5P1V.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 26
this might sounds obvious, but did you try increasing input trim? i know the thinking is you shouldn't have to, as the model should match the real thing, but if it's actually a different amp, then this might be a simple workaround. Also if you have poweramp modelling turned off, it might explain the difference

this might sounds obvious, but did you try increasing input trim? i know the thinking is you shouldn't have to, as the model should match the real thing, but if it's actually a different amp, then this might be a simple workaround. Also if you have poweramp modelling turned off, it might explain the difference

Power amp modeling is on - it sounds much closer with the SAT switch engaged, - but with the SAT engaged and boosting the input trim I was able to get closer - still lacks a bit of sparkle\liveliness which I get with my real amp DI'd into the AX8, but maybe tweaking other parameters may get that closer - also the SAT switch engaged seemed to drop the volume a bit, in the ideal setting which it shouldn't (which could be my tired ears or a symptom of something wrong..)

I'm almost certain there is something wrong with this model. I started with an empty preset, added an amp block with Brit Silver selected and reset the block just in case. With the Input Drive maxed it is barely crunchy. I flipped over to Y on the amp block and set it to Brit 800. With the gain maxed it rocks and is fairly saturated. Having owned three silver Jubilees and a JCM 800 2203 I'm pretty confident in saying that isn't right. One of the big "features" of the Jubilee series was that they had more gain than the JCM 800 series (due to diode clipping). I'm certain this isn't user error, there is nothing else in the preset, input trim is at 1 on both amp models, master is on 4, BMT at noon. I know there could be some variation between amp specimens, but this seems beyond that.

Would it be possible for someone at FAS to check on this model? We have three current or former owners of the actual amp who think the model is anemic and lacking gain compared to the real thing. The AX8/AxeFX pretty much nails the other amps I have real world experience with, but something seems off with the Brit Silver. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have less gain than the JCM 800.

So it isn't just me. I used to use it on my AFII but I tried using it last night on the AX8 and it had no crunch so I moved on the Brit 800.

Yeah, this model is just weird right now. Very little gain, and I feels like I'm playing straight into a power amp without a pre-amp. Something is definitely off with it.

i wonder if it's an AX8 issue only...working fine on my II, was just playing it last night.
How does amount of gain on "Brit Silver" compare to the gain available on the "Brit 800" model on the II? Maybe dime Input Drive on both, tone controls at noon and master at 4 or 5. I've had both real amps, the Jubilee should have more preamp gain on tap than the JCM 800 2203/2204.

Edit: Also, is the sat switch engaged by default on the Brit Silver model in the II?

hi

Got my ax8 a couple of days ago, so far I think it's awesome!

Anyway one thing I was doing was going out to my real silver jubilee, into a load box and back into the ax8 for cab sims and effects. Works really well, but when comparing against the model in the ax8 the amp model sounds off, not much gain, sounds like there is something missing. Could someone try and let me know if they have similar experience. Changing to any other amp model works as expected.
can you record a sample of this comparison?

for comparison, here's how it sounds in the axe fx, running Q2.04

everything on default into cab F62 (4x12 V30 with mic set to none)

if yours sound like it has a lot less gain, do check your input level is set correctly going into the ax8 (just clipping the red when you hit hard)

for comparison, here's how it sounds in the axe fx, running Q2.04

everything on default into cab F62 (4x12 V30 with mic set to none)

if yours sound like it has a lot less gain, do check your input level is set correctly going into the ax8 (just clipping the red when you hit hard)
Where are your input drive and master set for that clip? I don't have that much gain with input drive maxed. AX8 doesn't have an adjustable input level like the Axe. It does have a pad but that doesn't affect gain. My input trim is at 1 and I'm using PAF style humbuckers.

everything is on default, as i said. input drive is on 5 and master is on 4. as it comes, out of the box.

input trim is on 1 and i'm using a les paul with gibson pickups

sounds like there's an issue. you should probably report it in the bugs section so cliff knows to have a look at it

if you also record a clip with the exact same settings, he'll easily be able to tell the difference

everything is on default, as i said. input drive is on 5 and master is on 4. as it comes, out of the box.

input trim is on 1 and i'm using a les paul with gibson pickups

sounds like there's an issue. you should probably report it in the bugs section so cliff knows to have a look at it

if you also record a clip with the exact same settings, he'll easily be able to tell the difference
I'll try to record a clip tonight. Where do we report AX8 bugs? There isn't a dedicated sub-forum like there is for the Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom