Brit Silver check?

edo

Power User
Vendor
I just got a new load box (two notes torpedo captor X), and today I finally spent some time sending my real amps di into the af3 to try different Ir's and whatnot. While the brit 800 sounds virtually identical to the JCM800, the brit silver sounds way off. The real jubilee sounds way more open (more in the jcm800 territory) while the model is much darker, low mid heavy, and I was wondering whether the model has been modeled after a particularly dark amp or maybe some of the values (eg tone stack?) might be off.. I did experiment with the amp block eq as well as the advanced parameters, but even with treble and presence all the way up, the model still sounds more muffled than the real amp with treble at 6 and presence at 4.. Changing the tone stack to brit 800 gets closer, but not quite there yet. I just wanted to point that out, for a future check if you feel like it!

I sold my last Jubilee a year or so ago and I don't think I ever compared it directly to Axe-Fx model, so I can't speak to how accurate it is. But one thing to consider is the taper of the master volume and presence controls of the AF3 model aren't going to match the real amp. So you could be driving the power section of the model harder than the real thing, which would tame some of the highs. It's also possible that the impedance curve of the load in the Captor doesn't closely match the curve used in the AF3 model.

I sold my last Jubilee a year or so ago and I don't think I ever compared it directly to Axe-Fx model, so I can't speak to how accurate it is. But one thing to consider is the taper of the master volume and presence controls of the AF3 model aren't going to match the real amp. So you could be driving the power section of the model harder than the real thing, which would tame some of the highs. It's also possible that the impedance curve of the load in the Captor doesn't closely match the curve used in the AF3 model.

Yeah, it could be a number of factors, I did try the full range of the master volume though, but even at lower values (4ish) it still doesn't sound as open as the real thing. As far as the captor impedance, I haven't looked into that closely, but like I said in the op, the jcm800 sounds identical, and the setup /chain is the same. If there was a problem with the impedance, I think I would have it with the brit 800 model too, wouldn't I?

Yeah, it could be a number of factors, I did try the full range of the master volume though, but even at lower values (4ish) it still doesn't sound as open as the real thing. As far as the captor impedance, I haven't looked into that closely, but like I said in the op, the jcm800 sounds identical, and the setup /chain is the same. If there was a problem with the impedance, I think I would have it with the brit 800 model too, wouldn't I?

Try lowering the input trim?

When the re-issue came out it peaked my interest, and I watched a very good demo of it and it sounded great... got to try one in person and it was laughable how bad it was. Like a roll of the dice on that one in my experience.

If you're going to obsess over whether your particular copy/version of an amp is identical to the model which may be based on a completely different version/copy then the Axe-Fx is not the right product for you.

You should know that I've been a happy fas user and fas "preacher" for almost 10 years now, I've converted more people to fractal audio than to Italian cuisine, and I'll keep doing it as long as I live! I wasn't obsessing over anything, it was just a question out of curiosity!

Tube amps are inconsistent and finicky. I am an a native English speaker with a college degree and well, spoken, but highly intoxicated at the moment, so I apologize for the typos. The odds are slim the Cliff's reference amp sounds close to your amp. Production runs, inconsistencies in components suppliers, tube irregularities, and finally speakers.

I have over 10,000 IR captures - a mixture of professional, and freebies from the forum. No 2 sound alike. Inconsistencies in the cabinets, humidity saturation of the wood of the cabinets, age, and fatigue of the speakers, inconsistency of the materials comprising the speaker assembly itself, inconsistencies in the diaphragm of the mics, and differences in the distance, and angles, preamps used to capture.

Stop me if I'm rambling.

You can make almost any basic amp or the competitive variations, in other words, the Fender models or the off brands that are hot-rodded or "improved" variants that are models in the Axe FX, cover the gambit of useable tones. They all mean something different to different people.

If Fractal removed the names and renamed them Amp 1 through Amp 300 or however many there are, you'd just have to use your ears, or your musicianship.

And that's what I've concluded in the overwhelming choices and options, that are, at times, paralyzing --- it comes down to how well I play the guitar. Which is, not all that well, I'm afraid.

The truth is in there. Restrict yourself to a few "Go-to" amps and cabs, like a real human-being would have, and you'll be better off. At one time, I had a Mesa Studio Pre-amp and a Marshall JCM 800 2x12 into a reactive load box and cabled through a Switchblade audio midi patch-bay and then using a Mosfet stereo power amp into 2 - 4x12 cabs, and I though I was God incarnate, and could get any sound I wanted back in the day. I had essentially 4 pre-amp channels and a rack of effects units.

Now, I can limit myself to a few basic options of clean, dirty, and mean, and not concern myself with side by side comparisons to the real thing. In the mix, it always sounds beautimus to my ears.

Until, I watch a Leon video, after which, my hopes and dreams are dashed to pieces, and I decide I don't really know how to play.... or say "Beetah" correctly.

Rant over.

Last edited:
It's all in the stank face and having a PRS with a JB in it and also everything is upside down in Australia.

I had a 25/50 stack when they first came out in the 80s (which luckily matched with the first month I got a credit card ;) ) was my main amp for years and in many ways it's my reference sound.

Played the reissue, having sold the original a long time ago - and it reminded me, they do sound great - but are largely a one trick pony. Basically you can get a crunch sound and a rock sound. If you want real lead you need to boost (I used an original Guv'nor back in the day), and if you want a clean sound you really need to juggle volumes on your guitar and likely sacrifice the lead tone a bit.

Having spent an afternoon with a demo reissue - I smiled and walked out not having bought it, it's an amp from a certain time.

Dialling it in on the Fractal has been a battle for me, I think because so much of my memory is based on volume - sheer power, which was running a 50W head at about 6-7 through 2 4x12 cabs. I think without that volume, some more of the faults/characteristics (you decide) come through.

I find this model very sensitive to IR maybe for this reason, more than most other models for me. The best results I've had have been going for relatively bright IRs (latest is the ML Appetite IR, or maybe the Pete Thorn one), and then really turning up the bass on the model. This isn't how I'd set the real thing, but it's not that far away - for a long time I used it all tone on ten and the presence on 5.

One thing I'd be interested to be reminded of - if I want to simulate both drive controls on 10, do I leave the input trim at default? I seem to remember some comment on that, but can't find it

I had two Silver Jubilee Reissue Heads in my inventory when I took delivery of my Axe-Fx III and this is my experience of trying to match them.

The two heads sounded slightly different (as most tube amps do) the overall voicing of one was noticeably darker than the other and pots gave slightly different outcomes when set identically (also as most do). They would also sound different on different days and different again depending on how long they were on for or how hot they got.

They both were purchased new, factory sealed and had the roughly the same amount of hours on them and were a few serials away from each other.

I always liked one more than the other, my #1 Silver Jubilee head I could match in the Axe-Fx to absolute perfection with some tweaking, and I mean it was identical. However the other I struggled to get near and I still have no idea why.

How inconsistent they were between amps that were a few serials apart and how inconsistent they sounded day to day was all part of what pushed me towards the Axe-FX.

With that inconsistency observed I quickly understood that its impossible for every amp out there to sound identical to its model.

The model is based on the schematic and one particular reference amp and is matched to that (unless I’m mistaken), the model also sounds the same each time I turn the Axe-FX on where the Jubilee would sound different every day of the week so it could be close one day and miles off the other.

I guess I was lucky that the head I liked the most was somehow more similar to the reference amp and I was able to match it in the Axe-Fx III.

Back
Top Bottom