Brit Pre and Jazz 120

metalgarth

Inspired
Is there any chance that either of these 2 amp models will be upgraded to G3 modelling? The Brit Pre is awesome for getting a ZZ Top tone and the Jazz 120 was my go to clean channel for more than a year.

Without meaning to sound rude, does the JC-120 model need G3ing? It's a SS amp with minimal tonal colouration of the incoming signal.

Re: the Brit Pre, I think it was still improved with fw18 and fw19. It may not have been G3'd, but it currently sounds amazing (IMO), so I'm not really sure it needs it.

I'd like to see the JC-120 G3'd. I haven't spent much time with the axe modeled version, but I still use my real JC-120 for some recordings. I am excited to hear more G3'd amps, especially the super reverb. Have I mentioned that before? :)

Without meaning to sound rude, does the JC-120 model need G3ing? It's a SS amp with minimal tonal colouration of the incoming signal.

Re: the Brit Pre, I think it was still improved with fw18 and fw19. It may not have been G3'd, but it currently sounds amazing (IMO), so I'm not really sure it needs it.

I don't know the answer to that. That's why I am asking, if it doesn't need updating maybe Cliff would say that.

I'm guessing when they G3 an amp model, they G3 more than just the tubes.

A good question is: do they sound bad for you? Because if G3 technology wasn't invented at all, then you would still be pretty happy with the sounds you had. If those were your go-to amps, why do you feel they should change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G3 is about improved modeling of the power amp sections. The Jazz 120 doesn't have a tube power section so the only real benefits of having the circuit getting the G3 treatment is it will be slightly more accurate.

The Brit Pre doesn't have a tube power section either. It will already see the improvements and options for the preamp sections without getting the full G3 treatment, so it's pretty much in the same boat.

It's not like since G3 modeling these models suddenly suck, so just keep using them. The goal as far as I'm aware is to eventually G3 all the amp models, but on models where it's going to make little to no difference, I'd imagine that's being back-burnered while more important things are being worked on. ( And by more important I mean to the company and the bulk of their customers, I understand if a G3'ed JC-120 might be the most important thing in the universe for you. )

A good question is: do they sound bad for you? Because if G3 technology wasn't invented at all, then you would still be pretty happy with the sounds you had. If those were your go-to amps, why do you feel they should change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always things to sound as good as possible. If they are at their full potential, then so be it, but if they can be improved, then why not?

Brit Pre DOES have power amp section in it. If not, why increasing Master volume adds hard-clip distortion? In addition it's Supply sag is set to 2.00 (when you turn it down to 0, it says P.A. OFF and Master acts like Output volume). I think the Marshall EL34 50/50 was use to model this 'cause it's an obvious choice.

About Jazz 120. G3 doesn't focus on Power amp modelling section in particular. If so, why do we have FW19 with G3ed Drive block?

So Kavoo what makes these "other people" so sure? It sounds pretty decent to me...
Probably because you don't have a slightest idea how the real JMP-1 sounds like. I've used JMP-1 (sold it earlier this year after buying an Axe-Fx II), I know how it sounds... and that's what makes "other people" sure that Brit Pre G2 is pretty far from it.

"Pretty decent" is good enough for stuff like POD Farm, in case of Axe-Fx as the best guitar gear available it should be "accurate".

G3 is about improved modeling of the power amp sections. The Jazz 120 doesn't have a tube power section so the only real benefits of having the circuit getting the G3 treatment is it will be slightly more accurate.

The Brit Pre doesn't have a tube power section either. It will already see the improvements and options for the preamp sections without getting the full G3 treatment, so it's pretty much in the same boat.

It's not like since G3 modeling these models suddenly suck, so just keep using them. The goal as far as I'm aware is to eventually G3 all the amp models, but on models where it's going to make little to no difference, I'd imagine that's being back-burnered while more important things are being worked on. ( And by more important I mean to the company and the bulk of their customers, I understand if a G3'ed JC-120 might be the most important thing in the universe for you. )

Then why are the drive models being G3'd. And why are the new G3'd drives getting high reviews? They don't have a power amp section.
The guy wants to see an upgrade for something he cares about. Why is that something to criticise? I mean every Djent amp imaginable in the axe has been upgraded. Why not complete the process. Why leave some amps out? I'm sure this company will complete them, they are the best IMO.

I'm pretty sure I didn't critcize in my post. I mentioned the goal was to eventually G3 everything possible and gave some likely reasons these models have not been processed yet.

According to the gospel of Axl...

Said woman take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience.

I'm sure they will be G3d soon. I also use both of these models extensively and anticipate great tones after they get updated.

I have a feeling that Cliff has a major update coming as its been unusually quiet lately.

I'd love to see the Brit pre g3'd.
I sent cliff a PM a while back saying that I'd drop off my jmp1.
Never heard back, so I assume he has one. (Well...hoping he does)

Probably because you don't have a slightest idea how the real JMP-1 sounds like.

Slightest idea eh? Mahaha don't try an BS and insult a 60 year old without a cannon. And please Don't preach accurate to me either because I probably was playing the real deal before you were the sparkle in yer daddy's eye... In fact I've been playing thru Fender and Marshall amps an cabs since about 1968 son.... And you? I've owned an Ultra, an mkII and now an XL+, along with most of those POS Pods you know so much about in your comparison with my poor ability to hear good guitar tone lol.. Brilliant... So Yea The JMP1 sounds decent to "me" after "I" tweaked it some. Sorry if that bothers you, but I don't have the slightest idea why now. Notice that I didn't speak for the masses, just me... Time for my Geritol...

Last edited:
I love the current JC and don't care if it get's G3'd. just like the original IR's are still very good. I think we sometimes worry too much about the label. Could be why the cab's no longer specify UR, just use something that sounds good and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom