Brit Floyd destroyed last night with their Axe-Fx units!

I myself play in a band where we perform covers, among other things, and whenever we post a video on YouTube a takedown request follows.
Cover tunes are usually performed under the venue’s license. YouTube has no license.

Saw Brit Floyd for the first time last night, what a great show. Cool to see they are still running that huge round projection of the Fractal logo over the stage pre, mid and post show :)

My friend asked similar questions walking in - How is this even legal? Do they pay licensing to Pink Floyd? This has no resemblance to a local band playing covers in a bar. It's big business, a massive show production traveling the globe. I bought tickets months ago and they were not inexpensive, I've paid less to see major label original acts with multiple charting singles.

Makes me go 'hmmmm' when I recall how another Fractal artist Dweezil Zappa had legal trouble initiated by his own siblings for his live shows...

Saw Brit Floyd for the first time last night, what a great show. Cool to see they are still running that huge round projection of the Fractal logo over the stage pre, mid and post show :)

My friend asked similar questions walking in - How is this even legal? Do they pay licensing to Pink Floyd? This has no resemblance to a local band playing covers in a bar. It's big business, a massive show production traveling the globe. I bought tickets months ago and they were not inexpensive, I've paid less to see several major label acts.

Makes me go 'hmmmm' when I recall how another Fractal artist Dweezil Zappa had legal trouble initiated by his own siblings for his live shows...
Very good question.....I gotta believe that there has to be some give and take between the Brit and Pink Floyd camps....Brit just has so much archival materials.. and the Zappa conflict is ongoing, sadly.....

Maybe in exchange for playing Gilmour's birthday party gig they got a free pass to do as they please with his back catalog (though they did also have to paint one of Roger Water's houses too)

....I was being polite......
Ha, sorry. When it comes to Floyd, I’m really picky and everyone raves about that guys tone, I thought it was horrific. Thought he was a lazy player too.

EDIT: I guess I’m so vocal about it because I know a really vocal guy raves about them and analog tone in general. So I take great pride in knowing that the lead guy has crap tone...especially as the Brit Floyd guys probably nail it with their Fractals and I’m very happy about nailing Gilmour’s tone with my “digital” Axe FX! :)

Last edited:
My friend asked similar questions walking in - How is this even legal? Do they pay licensing to Pink Floyd? This has no resemblance to a local band playing covers in a bar. It's big business, a massive show production traveling the globe. I bought tickets months ago and they were not inexpensive, I've paid less to see major label original acts with multiple charting singles.

How is it any different then a cover band? Not all of them play covers in local bars. Some earn big money too. I reckon that as long as there has been pop music more artists have earned a living playing the work of others then by making their own original music. The whole tribute thing is just the next step in that evolution. And in the end, doesn't it benefit the original artists as well, as their music gets exposed to potentially new audiences.

I reckon the official border to cross lies at selling CD's or DVD's, in which case you just have to pay royalties. Or go to court.

I think that was more about who owned what rights of Zappa's catalog then actual copy rights infringements.

Ha, sorry. When it comes to Floyd, I’m really picky and everyone raves about that guys tone, I thought it was horrific. Thought he was a lazy player too.

I guess I’m so vocal about it because I know a really vocal guy who blows his own trumpet a lot spends thousands on analog amps and replicating Gilmour’s tone and raves about the fact that the Aussie Floyd guys go over his house for parties when they hit the UK. So I take great pride in knowing that the lead guy has crap tone...especially as the Brit Floyd guys probably nail it with their Fractals and I’m very happy about nailing Gilmour’s tone with my “digital” Axe FX! :)
No problema...I’ve seen Brit twice and they do nail the vibe!
How is it any different then a cover band? Not all of them play covers in local bars. Some earn big money too. I reckon that as long as there has been pop music more artists have earned a living playing the work of others then by making their own original music. The whole tribute thing is just the next step in that evolution. And in the end, doesn't it benefit the original artists as well, as their music gets exposed to potentially new audiences.

I reckon the official border to cross lies at selling CD's or DVD's, in which case you just have to pay royalties. Or go to court.

I think that was more about who owned what rights of Zappa's catalog then actual copy rights infringements.
Sadly,I know more about the Zappa debacle than I wish I did and certainly more than I can share here...but it goes far deeper as many family legal hassles do.......

Great show last night. They nailed it, as usual. Bass player wasn't using a Fractal, though - couldn't make out the amp rig but he had a set of four Hartke cabinets.

Floyd2.jpg Floyd1.jpg

I really enjoyed the Brit Floyd show I saw, but I really prefer the energy AndrOmidA bring to their Floyd tributes:

For me Brit Floyd were maybe a bit too "Brit", conservative.

What a cool chick. She got a great lead tone with that JC120. Obviously she's using drive pedals of course. But yeah. That was cool. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 39911 View attachment 39910 YEAH!! Coming to Miami Beach on the 30th in one of my fave venues...the Jackie Gleason Theater at the Fillmore.....where the June Taylor Dancers put their shapely gams in the air to create sexy kaleidoscopic shots from above, and where Crazy Guggenheim had his weekly drunken rant with Joe the Bartender (Gleason)
....for those old enough to share those treasured 60s TV memories..........
Im with ya! (63) Anyone under the age of 40... well...... Ah.... the Golden age of entertainment!

Back
Top Bottom