Brit Floyd destroyed last night with their Axe-Fx units!

I saw the show in Miami last night. Not only was it the best concert I've seen by a cover band, it was the best concert ive ever seen period.

Awesome! See, I tell people this and they just roll their eyes. They'll say "yeah, but it is not really them right? Just a cover band?" and I tell them you could close your eyes and you are at a Pink Floyd show. Their sound quality is outstanding and even the backup singers kick ass.

BTW, I've seen Brit Floyd three times and every time they are amazing. I've almost seen them do every Pink Floyd song between the three shows. They are always changing it up. They will do a few of the "big" songs each time but for the most part they mix it up. This year they really dug deep into the vaults.

For my tastes, they covered too much 80s and 90s territory, IMO PF was just never the same then....

I saw Brit Floyd again yesterday. I think for the 5th year in a row. Really amazing sounds and playing as always. No words to say how impressed I am by Damian, Edo and the others. I also think that they always (last 5 years) sounded fantastic, but with Edo and the Fractal gear they have gotten even better. Starting with Cluster One, and a great version of Dogs, were my favorites.

They've got to be better than Aussie Floyd who I saw a week or so back and thought they sounded awful. Well, the main guitarist did anyway, I thought the second guitarist was better.

Saw them two years back when they came through and they nailed it. They'll be back again in December and we've got better seats this time. Should be a good a show.

Saw Brit Floyd last night at the Paramount, Huntington, Long Island. Wow - both Damian's and Edo's plaing tone were really spot on, especially Edo's lead tone and Damian's table steel playing was "most impressive." - both using Axe-FX. On the two video screen, you could see the little green display - I pointed them out to my wife - who i gave a 101 on Floyd in the afternoon (DSM, WYWH and Animals - she liked DSM the best). Even told her about the Wizard of Oz, so that when images of WoO popped on the screen, she got the reference.

Visually - amazing. As good as The Musical Box in terms of "close your eyes, and you are back somewhere between 1972 and 1977." I was 12 in 1977 and was just getting into progressive music. Of course, I missed the Animals tour, Wind & Wuthering, Going for the One, Works, Led Zep tours. By 1978, the party was over.

Not to criticize at all - not the best song selection - they did play more from MLOR and DB and TER than I would have preferred and the encore was from TFC - which many attendees bolted to the exit (not the best encore song). But, they also didn't play every cliche song. I liked how they added a little of their own to some somgs, like Money - made it stand out from the note-for-note renditions.

Why are keyboards always buried in the mix, at least stage right where i was sitting? Besides that the mix was excellent, light show amazing (my wide said she could have just watched the lights with the music as a background).

Will someone please get Edo to post some of his patches!!! I have the ones from a few years ago, but that was a million firmware versions ago. I will sign a non-disclosure not to use them live

Whenever i've gone to a concert since seeing Yes in 1978, the band never plays my favorite song at the time. Was ecstatic that they play DOGS, in my top ten songs of all time - I call that list the songs i want to hear as I lay dying (slightly morbid, but a nice way to go to that great gig in the sky).

Go see them if you love PF.

Personally I would love to see a PF tribute band that only has the four core members, no back vocalists, no extra musicians, and just plays the crazy things they used to do before they got really famous. Money? Another Brick in the Wall? Okay, but I'd rather see Atom Heart Mother instead. Is there a PF tribute act that only focuses on the crazy psychedelic era, instead of the greatest hits era?

There was an Italian PF band that performed the songs of PF at Pompeii in an ancient Roman Ampitheater. Check YouTube. Pretty cool.

Brit Floyd did play Astronomy Domine and One of These Days. Definitely not a greatest hits performance.

The did play all of DSM (except Breathe), but not in order.

They also played SOYCD part 6 and 7 (i think - don't rermeber the cuts between the segue ways).

There was an Italian PF band that performed the songs of PF at Pompeii in an ancient Roman Ampitheater. Check YouTube. Pretty cool.

That was PF. And later David Gilmour, whom I'm lead to understand was somehow involved with PF. :)

Personally I would love to see a PF tribute band that only has the four core members, no back vocalists, no extra musicians, and just plays the crazy things they used to do before they got really famous. Money? Another Brick in the Wall? Okay, but I'd rather see Atom Heart Mother instead. Is there a PF tribute act that only focuses on the crazy psychedelic era, instead of the greatest hits era?

I think its the same game when it comes to live shows, be it the original PF, or a tribute band, and that game is how many paying butts can you put into the seats each night. How many concert goers are you going to draw playing earlier/more obscure stuff, vs how many are you going to get who want to hear "Comfortably Numb" and "Run like Hell" ???

You want to spend months on the road playing for 25 people each night or 2500 ?? You want to earn gas money, or you want to earn enough to make a decent living and keep a roof over your head during those times your not on the road ??

I think its the same game when it comes to live shows, be it the original PF, or a tribute band, and that game is how many paying butts can you put into the seats each night. How many concert goers are you going to draw playing earlier/more obscure stuff, vs how many are you going to get who want to hear "Comfortably Numb" and "Run like Hell" ???

You want to spend months on the road playing for 25 people each night or 2500 ?? You want to earn gas money, or you want to earn enough to make a decent living and keep a roof over your head during those times your not on the road ??

You are completely right of course. We had the same problem with our Radiohead tribute band. You'd think that even for a niche like this, or Radiohead, the niche by itself would still be big enough for such a band to make a living, as opposed to being yet another PF band on an already crowded market who does the usual songs. But it would appear that is not the case. It would appear that in general bookers would go (and did go): Radiohead? Yeah! Love it! Not booking them though as I don't think it will draw in enough paying butts.

As for the Pisotones, I've seen their vids. I love their version of Atom Heart Mother.

A friend of mine went to a Brit Floyd show in Charlotte last night. He snapped a picture of the stage with a credit to Fractal for all of the guitar and bass tones.

What exactly are you implying is illegal ? Cover bands ? How 'criminally' amazing the Fractal units sound ? what exactly....

Cover bands, especially those that make money specifically on performing other people’s material.

I would assume that if you play someone’s songs at a private party that would be fair use. But Brit Floyd takes playing covers to a very different level, this is clearly a commercial project.

Please note that I’m not against it at all and I’m not accusing anyone of anything here, I’m just curious about how this works. Copyright protection, while an important thing, sometimes gets really ridiculous. There was a funny story when Deep Purple were performing in Russia and got in trouble because they didn’t have proof that they had rights to play their own songs. :)

I myself play in a band where we perform covers, among other things, and whenever we post a video on YouTube a takedown request follows.

Back
Top Bottom