Brit Floyd destroyed last night with their Axe-Fx units!

romanianreaper

Power User
Saw Brit Floyd last night and was up close enough this time to see the Axe-Fx units! One guitarist had two of them (one off as a backup) and I saw the other guy's (singer and guitarist) as well. The sound was incredible coming thru the FOH. Was so clear and aped the original tone so much from the albums that you almost forget these guys are not Pink Floyd. :)

IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0128.JPG YEAH!! Coming to Miami Beach on the 30th in one of my fave venues...the Jackie Gleason Theater at the Fillmore.....where the June Taylor Dancers put their shapely gams in the air to create sexy kaleidoscopic shots from above, and where Crazy Guggenheim had his weekly drunken rant with Joe the Bartender (Gleason)
....for those old enough to share those treasured 60s TV memories..........

Last edited:
I saw them a year or two ago, prior to both guitar players switching to Fractal. I believe Bobby was using the Fractal ring, and Damian was still using a Cornford, or maybe it was the other way around lol. Either way, was really surprised me, and floored me about the Fractal, is that I had it wrong with regards to which guitarist was using the Fractal rig (some things don't change huh ? lol)

I spent the whole night listening to their leads and trying to mentally compare (in addition to enjoying the performance as a whole) the tones between the modeler and the real amp. Both sounded fantastic of course. When I got home and did some research and watched some more clips I found out the guy I thought was the modeler player was the tube rig and vice versa.

Really shows what the Axe-Fx can do when your listening to it all night thinking its a Cornford amp and how great it sounded, only to find its a modeler.

This was well before Quantum as well, I think like FW18 or so, so just imagine how much better its gotten since then....

Gilmour himself should make the swap.... I bet he'd sound every bit as great as before, no one could even tell, and it would sure make logistics easier. I think it would also sell a TON more Fractal units LOL

I spent the whole night listening to their leads and trying to mentally compare (in addition to enjoying the performance as a whole) the tones between the modeler and the real amp.

Even though it's pretty obvious that I'm a "FAS fanboy", I never really care about the equipment that a band uses when I'm visiting a concert or festival. I just enjoy the music and atmosphere.

I certainly didn't show up just to check out their rig, but being a Fractal owner, my eye was drawn to that unmistakable green LCD display and I had a "how about that, they use an Axe-Fx" moment.

I think its important to not get so caught up in the details that you miss the overall show, but at the same time, being a guitar player and something of a gear head, I can't 100% ignore catching a glimpse at the rigs.

When I used to cover concerts for a living, I'd always be waiting up behind the barricade, or side stage, depending the access, and there isn't a better way to kill that time than checking out the gear, taking a few pics of the pedal boards etc. Often times the techs would come over and chat a bit, assuming they didn't have any tune-ups etc left to perform.

Fun part of a concert really, getting to talk a little shop about how it all works with the guy who likely built the rig, and then getting to watch the guitar hero make it sing

I think its important to not get so caught up in the details that you miss the overall show, but at the same time, being a guitar player and something of a gear head, I can't 100% ignore catching a glimpse at the rigs.

When I was in a Radiohead tribute band and saw them on tour I couldn't see their gear, but I did learn a few of their tricks that day by observing. I was in total study mode that evening. Hell, I had seen so many downloaded live shows I could tell what songs they were going to play just from seeing their guitar changeovers.

The band was in a good zone that evening, but the audience was kinda...., laid back? I'm used to U2 and metal shows where the audience sings and jumps along, not just stands there and just listens.

The great thing about a band like Brit Floyd is how "perfectionist" they are about getting every little thing right tone-wise and adding sounds, etc. These guitar parts Gilmour created back in the day are so full of delays and reverb and when you hear those leads live, they just soar and envelope you. You go to a Brit Floyd show and you just see people taking it all in.

I really enjoyed the Brit Floyd show I saw, but I really prefer the energy AndrOmidA bring to their Floyd tributes:

For me Brit Floyd were maybe a bit too "Brit", conservative.

I was also at the Dayton show Friday. Great show. Now I've been jamming Floyd in the car since. Re-ignited my love for Floyd music.

I caught them last time they were at the Fillmore in Miami and didn't even know they were using Fractal stuff until the end of the show when they displayed it on the screen during the credits!

My dad (who is a drummer) was with me and said after the show, "I wonder how much gear these guys are using to get those Gilmour sounds?", he refused to believe me when I showed him it was one piece of rack gear!

They are amazing. I've seen them probably 5 times now. The first two times they were using traditional amp rigs and rack effects and pedals. Last 3 times was with the Axe-Fx and the sound is night and day difference. The Axe-Fx rigs sound so much better. They are coming next month but I already spent a small fortune on tickets for Iron Maiden next month as well as another Fractal Artist coming next month I haven't seen since 1989... Metallica!

Back
Top Bottom