Brit 800 Model vs The Real Amp

Great comparison! That's so cool that you can do this all within the AX8 by using the reactive load box. I could hear that one was brighter, and one had more low end, but it's close enough for me to not really care which is which. However, for the sake of guessing for fun, I'll go with the real amp being the one with the extended low end. Great job, and thanks for doing this.

Awesome! And quite difficult to distinguish the two. Sounds like the darker one may be the AX8 to me but both sound great. Either way the preset is balanced quite nicely compared to the real amp and would be a killer preset base. Would you mind sharing it lol

Cheers guys, it's pretty interesting hearing them side by side and be so close. Here's the preset bundled with an IR I shot of my Marshall 412 with a 57 and an SE R1 Ribbon; it's pretty close to the vibe of the IR in the video. Anyone using Justin's cab pack, the IR's are the dark 57C shot and 121 3.

Attachments

• LT 2203.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 41
Rock Bottom!

Really great comparison video, too close to tell. Special props for the riff selection.

Hearing that song for the first time changed my life. Schenker's solo on the Strangers in the Night live version is some of the best rock guitar playing ever put to tape.

Cool comparison. I definitely thought, the one in Scene 2 sounded more 'congested' in a weird way. It was definitely not how I expect a real amp to sound - However, I haven't played a real amp in 2 years, so there is every chance that Scene 2 was indeed the real amp.

Real vs modelling aside, I preferred scene 1. I though it was more difficult to hear the difference when the drive pedal was in front.

I can hear a difference - but it's definitely not a difference that would make me say "that's not even close to the real amp!" - especially since I don't know which one IS the real amp. Love vids like these - and thank you for including the preset and IR - very cool.

Hearing that song for the first time changed my life. Schenker's solo on the Strangers in the Night live version is some of the best rock guitar playing ever put to tape.

The performances on that record are so inspiring.

For musicians that play a lot of shows, you can really appreciate what talent it takes to pull off a record like that. Just brilliant on many levels.

Great comparison Leon. Ya just gotta love the AX8. SUCH and inspiring machine. Thanks for posting the vid amigo.

The performances on that record are so inspiring.

For musicians that play a lot of shows, you can really appreciate what talent it takes to pull off a record like that. Just brilliant on many levels.

I've missed this band and Schenker's work for the most part ..just listened to that tune..WOW ..epic live rocking. ....What Spinal Tap might have sounded like on their best night.....years before they made their rockumentary .........................................................................................
ok ...Too Hot to Handle..that one I know.....

nice review of the album on Tidal........

Unfortunately, this concert album is often overlooked when discussions of the great live rock albums of the '70s arise. UFO's Strangers in the Night deserves to be right up there with Kiss' Alive! and Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, based on the excitement the group and its audience generate and due to the quality of the hard rock compositions. This is a band at its peak, with its prime lineup (led by German guitar-monger Michael Schenker) and all of its best songs. The group paces itself at the beginning, opting for some lesser material, but begins to hit a stride on the early track "Doctor Doctor." "Mother Mary" and "This Kids" combine all the elements of Led Zeppelin's best rock (concise riffs, mammoth drumming, etc.), while the introduction to "Love to Love" displays the talent of the instrumentalists. "Lights Out" is probably the band's best-known song, while the guitar solo-soaked "Rock Bottom" was an oft-requested fan favorite. UFO closes their set with the let-the-good-times-roll singalong "Too Hot to Handle" and the then-state-of-the-art heavy metal of "Let It Roll." The group may have been at its peak at the time of Strangers in the Night, but Schenker had a falling out with singer Phil Mogg (whose vocals bear a resemblance at times to AC/DC's Bon Scott) soon after the album's completion, and promptly left UFO. Schenker pursued pop-metal in the '80s with the Michael Schenker Group/MSG (plus very short stints with both Aerosmith and the Scorpions), while UFO never recovered from losing him and sank into obscurity. Although the group is rarely mentioned anymore in America, UFO's mark has been left on bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Def Leppard, and the Smashing Pumpkins. A long-lost hard rock classic. ~ Greg Prato

Anyone who doubts the power and possibilities of "Amp Modeling", need only look at this video. And I'm not saying that from a perspective of "better or worse", just that the FAS gear opens another world of legitimately great, usable tones. Thanks for the post, Leon.

Are the models accurate? There's about as much variation here as you'd hear between two amps from the same production run IMO. Magical stuff
So when will you say if the real amp was the darker on or the brighter one??? Even tho probably with changing a bit the EQ you can get a closer tone but I just hope the darker one is the AX8! #fingerscross

The slightly darker one is the AX8. Perhaps it's because the model is a 2204, not a 2203, or transformers/tubes/component tweaks the AX8 had a more propnounced low end and less shrill highs. Looking forward to the Plexi 2204 being ported to AX8 if possible ;)

The slightly darker one is the AX8.
AX8 kicking mayor sonic ass!!!!

Looking forward to the Plexi 2204 being ported to AX8 if possible ;)
Hells yeha! I started that thread that lead Cliff to buy that Marshall JMP and I'm just can't wait for them to anounce that it's available on an update! Those are THE amps that all those late 70's bands that continue in the 80's used to record all the classic heaven metal albums and thanks to Frantal we will all soon have that available!!!

BTW I think no other modeller has that model available right???

So the slightly darker one is Scene 1 right? (One can follow the red LED to see which is scene one and which is scene 2). Scene 1 sounds like it has a bigger bottom end, so I guess that's darker :)

Leon, how does the X-load compare to the Captor?

To be honest I struggled to hear any real difference. They both sounded great.
In a band mix I think it'd be impossible to tell.

How incredibly spoilt us AX8 users are!

Back
Top Bottom