Bridge pickup, need your help...

don_joe

Experienced
Hello good people!

I have an urge to replace my bridge pickup in my Carvin DC727 (maple neck/alder body, C26 bridge pickup with coil splitter). A week ago, I've played for a change my old Gibson SG for the first time with my AXE and I suddenly realised that I like the Alnico pickup sound better than this ceramic one from my DC727. That was the missing ingredient in the tone I was looking for. I would like to still play my 7-string guitar but with a warmer sound with more versatility. I believe it all comes to the pickup and I have only the bridge one in mind to be replaced. I'm not necessary looking for Alnico, I only like their tone quality. However, I just need something new to try out.

This is where I ask you for help, since I haven't been experimenting much and have not owned many guitars in my 30 years "career". Many of you know much better, so I was hoping to hear a few suggestions. I play a lot of high gain metal and when I play chugs palm muted, I like when the sound is tight and punchy but warm, without mud. On the other hand I like a good note separation when playing high gain chords, singing tones when playing solo and a tone that is suitable also for blues/rock/hard rock, kind of vintage. I don't play prog/djent but would like to be able to play it too with this same pup. It's hard to describe but it should be warm and at the same time not muddy in the bass (B-string should sound clear enough). It should roar without losing definition and warmth. I hope you get it...

The pickups that I found googling and could maybe be candidates as replacement are (all 7-string) Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 or maybe Bare Knuckle Nailbomb. There aren't that many useful videos on Youtube and it's hard for me to make a judgment, because many of those guys play heavily detuned or the sound is just too processed.

What is your experience and your recommendations? Which (passive) pickup is the best compromise between vintage and a high gain beast?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Last edited:
I have Bare Knuckles in almost all of my guitars but nothing as high output as the Nailbombs. Love all my Bare Knuckles, plenty of different characters and all of them sound great.

Thanks, luke! What kind of music do you play? Do you have any 7-string version? What do you like about them, if I may ask?

60s to current rock, NuNetal would be the heaviest tone we do. I don't have a need for a 7string, we have a bassist.

I have Bare Knuckles in almost all of my guitars but nothing as high output as the Nailbombs. Love all my Bare Knuckles, plenty of different characters and all of them sound great.

Thanks! If you would pick one of those to recommend, which one would it be? Just one for blues/rock/metal 80's/grind/prog metal, one for all...Nailbomb?

From what I understand the BKP Juggernaut attempts to cover all these bases. I haven't gotten to try them myself, but I love my BKP aftermaths and BKP has a great reputation. The Aftermaths in my 7 string are the only PUs I have that actually block the nasty interference I get from the poorly insulated conduit I have in my condo too. Not sure if its the PUs of the shielding from the guitar, but hey it doesnt hurt :)

From what I understand the BKP Juggernaut attempts to cover all these bases. I haven't gotten to try them myself, but I love my BKP aftermaths and BKP has a great reputation. The Aftermaths in my 7 string are the only PUs I have that actually block the nasty interference I get from the poorly insulated conduit I have in my condo too. Not sure if its the PUs of the shielding from the guitar, but hey it doesnt hurt :)

Thanks! Juggernaut seems to have a lot of bass and less treble. The description is "progressive, extreme" and I'm afraid they're not that good for vintage and a bit "cold". The Aftermat has more treble according to the chart on their homepage but is a ceramic one. Good to know that the BK pups block the interference well. I have a feeling now that the Nailbomb could suit the purpose. Thank you for your inputs.

Thanks! If you would pick one of those to recommend, which one would it be? Just one for blues/rock/metal 80's/grind/prog metal, one for all...Nailbomb?

My favourite one is the Rebel Yell. I've had two sets in two different Les Paul's. I'd say they sit right in the middle of that mix of genres so if they are equally weighted I think you'd be very happy with the Rebel Yells. I would recommend emailing the guys at Bare Knuckle though. I've never been disappointed following their advice.

The challenge for me is the sort of same problem with the Axe Fx 2. Is the 1959SLP better than the 100W Plexi or the Friedman BE (or the other Plexi derivatives)? Since they are all fantastic it's hard to say which one's the better one. And same with the Bare Knuckle Pickups. It's almost impossible to just take someone's word for it without trying a few yourself. In my latest Les Paul I went through The Mules, Abraxas before (currently) settling back on the Rebel Yells. I mostly play Blues, 70s and 80s Rock, up to Hard Rock but never really metal. The Rebel Yells are great at all of these and I'm sure will handle the other genres as well. And you'll likely be very happy with the Nailbombs as well, or bloody hell you'd probably be happy with the Mules as well. Just like playing around with amps in the Axe Fx 2, it never ends. It's all fun though :).

My favourite one is the Rebel Yell. I've had two sets in two different Les Paul's. I'd say they sit right in the middle of that mix of genres so if they are equally weighted I think you'd be very happy with the Rebel Yells. I would recommend emailing the guys at Bare Knuckle though. I've never been disappointed following their advice.

The challenge for me is the sort of same problem with the Axe Fx 2. Is the 1959SLP better than the 100W Plexi or the Friedman BE (or the other Plexi derivatives)? Since they are all fantastic it's hard to say which one's the better one. And same with the Bare Knuckle Pickups. It's almost impossible to just take someone's word for it without trying a few yourself. In my latest Les Paul I went through The Mules, Abraxas before (currently) settling back on the Rebel Yells. I mostly play Blues, 70s and 80s Rock, up to Hard Rock but never really metal. The Rebel Yells are great at all of these and I'm sure will handle the other genres as well. And you'll likely be very happy with the Nailbombs as well, or bloody hell you'd probably be happy with the Mules as well. Just like playing around with amps in the Axe Fx 2, it never ends. It's all fun though :).

Thanks for the tip, I was also considering Rebel Yell. Yes, you're right about individual preferences and more possible choices that would all do fine. I will follow my feeling in the end, but wanted to check out if I can get some extra information here or a bigger pro or a con to exclude any of these models (elimination method). I know, it's all nuances...but I have to decide somehow :)

Back
Top Bottom