Wish Brickwall limiter block

Not the same as this?

Studio Compressor:

"Setting Ratio to “INFINITE” turns the compressor into a “limiter,” which has an absolute ceiling or “brick wall” which nothing can exceed."

Doesn't act like a izotope maximizer plugin at all, by example
A good brickwall limiter will not pump (unless you apply a crazy gain reduction) , and will never go higher than 0dBfs

From what i remember, setting the comp ratio to infinite will let pass bits over the 0dBfs, but i'll have to verify

Last edited:
Check how much latency izotop adds. For live, it's not usable. The desired effect you are asking isn't possible without latency.

Doesn't act like a izotope maximizer plugin at all, by example
A good brickwall limiter will not pump (unless you apply a crazy gain reduction) , and will never go higher than 0dBfs

From what i remember, setting the comp ratio to infinite will let pass bits over the 0dBfs, but i'll have to verify

With the Studio type, a fast attack time and a lookup ahead time greater than attack time it shouldn’t happen. Unless it’s a bug I guess.

I’ll test this out when I get home.

In any case +1 on the original wish though... or at least a "Brickwall limiter" setting (like in addition to the studio, pedal, dynamics) on the compressor block.

An infinite compression is the definition of a brick wall limiter - dont forget to also mess with the knee and threshhold. Also, the compressor type _may_ effect the shape of the compression though I dont know that for sure.

Possibly, you'd be better asking for a model of that particular compressor?

Thanks
Pauly

possibly the knee chosen? Do you still clip with the 'Hard' knee selected? (I guess that would be the only one with a 'hard' output level)

Well...(Let's not forget my replies are based on assumptions) - the only thing to do, is setup a level meter and see what is happening to the output when you have set a hard knee. My assumption was that a hard knee would get to the output level and keep it there!

Hmm.. I just dropped a compressor block into a preset, chose the studio compressor, and hard knee.. the set the threshold so it was compressing a little, then set the ratio to infinite - The output level is going nowhere but to the set level. Is the compressor block last in your preset? Perhaps something else is adding some level such as a delay or reverb? (add speculation to assumptions)

Umm I would think RMS shouldn't be used if you want a limiter.

I tried the following settings for a limiter:

Threshold: -0.1 dB
Ratio: Infinite
Attack time: 1.0ms
Release Time: 10ms
Auto Att/Rel: Off
Look-Ahead Time: 2.0ms
Knee Type: Hard
Auto Makeup: OFF
Detector Type: PEAK
Sidechain: Block L+R

But it's not working as I would expect it too....

I would expect this to brick wall at -0.1dB - but VU meters say otherwise.

It seems the levels are not quite right?

This is the example chain I have going on:
Screenshot from 2018-06-02 16-18-45.png

Here I increase the amp level to test the limiter, but even though the VU meter is already in the reds.. the gain bar in the compressor block does not move until the amp level is pretty high.

It's almost like the level the compressor detector is seeing is way lower than what the VU meter reports.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom