Brian May's "Wall of AC30" rigs [Update Available for FW22]

km 202257

Inspired
[Edit: 17th Jun. 2023] The preset is updated. please see the post #21 to download the updated version. This first post is outdated so please ignore this.
If you’re using my previous preset (shared in this first post), I recommend you update to the new preset.

Sharing my preset to simulate Brian May's "Wall of AC30" touring rigs (in 2000's and after), re-tweaked on Cygnus X-2. Download it at:
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9966
you don't need any third-party IRs to load this, as I found some factory IRs that sound convincing with this preset.
[Edit 12th Feb. 2023] If you use this preset with FW 21.02 or after, set the Low Cut of the Drive block to default value (2,000hz); otherwise it sounds more flabby than I intended. Probably due to the changes in Speaker Thump algorithm in Amp block.

Here's how it sounds like with a guitar build very close to Brian's Red Special ("Kz RS Replica" by Kz guitar works: https://kzguitarworks.com/kz-rs/)

And here's how the preset will look like in AXE-EDIT...

In the soundclip, Scene 1 is heard at 0:01-1:27, Scene 8 be at 1:28-1:59, and Scene 5 at 2:00-2:37..

<Notes>

• I set the output of the Input block to -3.0db as most of the guitars have a hotter pickup than my guitar has. Should you play with a guitar with vintage Tri-Sonics or an authentic replica (ex. Adeson, Yonderdesk...), bring back this value to 0.0db.
  • I recommend pluging the guitar directly into the INSTR input, because input impedance plays an important role on this preset (and Brian's tone in general). If you use a wireless you should pair it with an impedance adjustment device (such as Radial Dragster: https://www.radialeng.com/product/dragster) to bring down the impedance anywhere below 100kohms.
I've never been happier with my Brian May preset until Cygnus X-2. Cliff is the champion, my friends

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this preset! It's a lot of fun and it led me down a little rabbit hole where I discovered a great video Brian May made back in 83, Brian May Star Licks. What an exhaustive treasure trove. It's too much to take in all at once, but your preset and his video have made for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. Thanks again, km 2022257 😁

I do have a question though. Forgive my inexperience...

I am definitely getting a lot of background hum, which appears be be chiefly from the treble boost drive set to 10. As I understand it, from the Brian May video, he would in fact set the treble boost to 10. Is there a way to minimize or eliminate this hum, or is it an unavoidable byproduct of the settings? thx

Last edited:
Thanks for all the warmest comments, everyone.
This is why the FM9 needs another pitch block!
The Pitch block next to the Drive block is just used for a particular weird effect in Scene 6 (and Virtual Capo as in my "kitchen-sink"). Unless you play the song "Get Down Make Love" you can do away with it.
Having trouble loading the preset due to 2 Pitch blocks? I may be able to create the presets that have one Pitch block.

Thank you for sharing this preset! It's a lot of fun and it led me down a little rabbit hole where I discovered a great video Brian May made back in 83, Brian May Star Licks. What an exhaustive treasure trove. It's too much to take in all at once, but your preset and his video have made for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. Thanks again, km 2022257 😁

I am definitely getting a lot of background hum, which appears be be chiefly from the treble boost drive set to 10. As I understand it, from the Brian May video, he would in fact set the treble boost to 10. Is there a way to minimize or eliminate this hum, or is it an unavoidable byproduct of the settings? thx
Glad you had a wonderful lazing on a Sunday afternoon😁
One thing I can suggest is to bring down the gain of the Amp blocks - After I shared the preset I found it's not that necessary. There are 2 options:
1. Bring down Input Trim to 0.5
2. Bring down Master Volume Trim to 1.0 (no changes to Input Trim)
Choose the one you like. My favourite is to apply 1. to "12AX7" and 2. to "EF86" so that there's a offset between wet/dry amps.

If you wanna eliminate further, you need to use a noise gate (although never used by Brian). Set the threshold carefully or it will also mute when you roll of the guitar's volume for clean tone.
Another option might be to manually mute the Axe-Fx when you don't play, especially when you're gigging with this preset.
There are other tweaks in my mind that can reduce hiss, but they also change the core of the tone so are not recommended.

I have 2 real AC30s and they do hiss a lot when it's full-driven and treble boosted, so I didn't care the hiss when making this TBH.

Thanks for all the warmest comments, everyone.

The Pitch block next to the Drive block is just used for a particular weird effect in Scene 6 (and Virtual Capo as in my "kitchen-sink"). Unless you play the song "Get Down Make Love" you can do away with it.
Having trouble loading the preset due to 2 Pitch blocks? I may be able to create the presets that have one Pitch block.

Glad you had a wonderful lazing on a Sunday afternoon😁
One thing I can suggest is to bring down the gain of the Amp blocks - After I shared the preset I found it's not that necessary. There are 2 options:
1. Bring down Input Trim to 0.5
2. Bring down Master Volume Trim to 1.0 (no changes to Input Trim)
Choose the one you like. My favourite is to apply 1. to "12AX7" and 2. to "EF86" so that there's a offset between wet/dry amps.

If you wanna eliminate further, you need to use a noise gate (although never used by Brian). Set the threshold carefully or it will also mute when you roll of the guitar's volume for clean tone.
Another option might be to manually mute the Axe-Fx when you don't play, especially when you're gigging with this preset.
There are other tweaks in my mind that can reduce hiss, but they also change the core of the tone so are not recommended.

I have 2 real AC30s and they do hiss a lot when it's full-driven and treble boosted, so I didn't care the hiss when making this TBH.
Thanks! I have both the III and the FM9. I can easily modify the preset and import it to the FM9. Again awesome preset! Thanks

Go find the Beato episode with Brian May. It's not mostly him playing, but when he is, it's awesome but also a serious mess of hiss, hum, and very amplified finger noises. Gain!

Go find the Beato episode with Brian May. It's not mostly him playing, but when he is, it's awesome but also a serious mess of hiss, hum, and very amplified finger noises. Gain!

That was a very enjoyable interview. Took a couple sittings to make it through.

Definitely a mess of hiss, hum and very amplified finger noises.

Thanks! 😁

That was a very enjoyable interview. Took a couple sittings to make it through.

Definitely a mess of hiss, hum and very amplified finger noises.

Thanks! 😁
Yeah, seems like a lot of cleanup was done in the studio. Or maybe that cruft is on the record too, just not that audible in the mix.

Thanks for sharing the preset! Great fun. Oh, did I miss you mentioning what Fulres IRs you used on scene 8? I know the percentages are kinda crazy there, but I'd find it cool to at least try. Cheers, Lee

Thanks for sharing the preset! Great fun. Oh, did I miss you mentioning what Fulres IRs you used on scene 8? I know the percentages are kinda crazy there, but I'd find it cool to at least try. Cheers, Lee
Thanks for your comments. These are Factory FullRes IRs:
194 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room L (YA)
195 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room R (YA)
As you put it that way, CPU Usage surges to WARNING zone on Scene 8 (maybe unless it's run on Turbo).

Sounds great 👍
May (..funny because of the artists name 😆) there is a way to port it to FM3 without 2 AMP and CAB blocks ?
There are presets already, but I think this one comes closer to the orignal BM sound.

Thanks for your comments. These are Factory FullRes IRs:
194 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room L (YA)
195 — 2x12 Class A 30W Room R (YA)
As you put it that way, CPU Usage surges to WARNING zone on Scene 8 (maybe unless it's run on Turbo).
Thx! Yeah, Mark II is the best I’ve got for now. (Wow, this unit has such amazing power, and I’m over here talking like it’s JUST a Mark II, lol). 😉

Sounds great 👍
May (..funny because of the artists name 😆) there is a way to port it to FM3 without 2 AMP and CAB blocks ?
There are presets already, but I think this one comes closer to the orignal BM sound.
Attached is the presets I modified to be used in FM3 - 1 amp, 1 cab, 1 pitch , ONE VISION!!!
  • Scene 6 "Eventide in Get Down Make Love" is separated as a dedicated preset (as a result of "1 pitch per preset" limitation)
  • Scene 8 "Dry only w/FullRes" is omitted.
  • In Amp block, Channel D includes the "EF86" I used for wet signal. In Cab block, Channel B/C includes the IRs used for wet signal.
Please note that the resulting tone will NOT be the same as I intended, due to:
  • Phase cancellation in Scene 1 "Chorus".
    As the core tone is completely the same in both dry and wet signal, they cancel out each other and the preset sounds thinner.
    This is why I had to use 2 amps/cabs. By creating the offset between dry and wet signal, they do cancel out each other but to less extent.
  • Input Impedance not adjustable on FM3.
    In AXE-FX III and FM9, my preset will set the input impedance to 70kohms, whereas FM3 is fixed at 1Mohms.
    If you play this preset with FM3, I recommend either:
    • connecting an impedance adjustment device (such as Radial Dragster: https://www.radialeng.com/product/dragster) to bring down the impedance anywhere below 100kohms, or
    • Turn off the Drive block and put a real treble booster in front of FM3. Generally, treble booster's input impedance is around 100kohms.

Attachments

• Wall of 9 AC30s in 1(km 202257).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Get Down Make Love(km 202257).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
Attached is the presets I modified to be used in FM3 - 1 amp, 1 cab, 1 pitch , ONE VISION!!!
  • Scene 6 "Eventide in Get Down Make Love" is separated as a dedicated preset (as a result of "1 pitch per preset" limitation)
  • Scene 8 "Dry only w/FullRes" is omitted.
  • In Amp block, Channel D includes the "EF86" I used for wet signal. In Cab block, Channel B/C includes the IRs used for wet signal.
Please note that the resulting tone will NOT be the same as I intended, due to:
  • Phase cancellation in Scene 1 "Chorus".
    As the core tone is completely the same in both dry and wet signal, they cancel out each other and the preset sounds thinner.
    This is why I had to use 2 amps/cabs. By creating the offset between dry and wet signal, they do cancel out each other but to less extent.
  • Input Impedance not adjustable on FM3.
    In AXE-FX III and FM9, my preset will set the input impedance to 70kohms, whereas FM3 is fixed at 1Mohms.
    If you play this preset with FM3, I recommend either:
    • connecting an impedance adjustment device (such as Radial Dragster: https://www.radialeng.com/product/dragster) to bring down the impedance anywhere below 100kohms, or
    • Turn off the Drive block and put a real treble booster in front of FM3. Generally, treble booster's input impedance is around 100kohms.
Great...thank you man for the effort !
Will check this asap I got time.
Sure, I'm aware that it could not be the same sound. But (and again;) ) May it will be close to it :)

Back
Top Bottom