Brian May Vox AC30 sound on stratocaster with PAF on the bridge

I love Brian May's guitar sound, I have a guitar with trisonic pickups, but in this video I tried to make a PAF pickup installed in a stratocaster have the sound as close to a "Red Special" guitar as possible. I was really in doubt if I could, but I loved the result. The sound has life !!! It was fun to play !
I needed to increase the volume a little ( more feedback) , it's true. :):):)

May is an awesome player that has so many odd parts contributing to his tones (his fingers, the guitar, metal coin for a pick, amps, home made boxes) that pinpointing his sound is almost a “which song?” Challenge, yet it always comes out sounding like him. I think the tone you have there sounds wonderful, perfect for the emotion of what you’re playing. Impressed!

Last edited:
May is an awesome player that has so many odd parts contributing to his tones (his fingers, the guitar, metal coin for a pick, amps,home made boxes) that pinpointing his sound is almost a “which song?” Challenge, yet it always comes out sounding like him. I think the tone you have there sounds wonderful, perfect for the emotion of what you’re playing. Impressed!
His words about the great Brian May were perfect. I'm also (I think like everyone ...) very much a fan of his entire career both in Queen and solo albums. And I'm glad you liked it.
I think that equipment like the Ax8 that can motivate us to play better and inspire us (by the fantastic sounds) do their due role ... that's what really matters.

Sounds really good Marciel ...so clean.............Tone is great! So that's the HB in the bridge alone? Know which HB it is offhand?

Preset is nice...especially with that ir. My main Strat has Fralin Blues Special hybrids with blender in 2nd tone pot.My strat gets very close to the clean-ish hi drive tone you had. Again nice playin man.
And thanks so much for sharing the preset...............

Sounds really good Marciel ...so clean.............Tone is great! So that's the HB in the bridge alone? Know which HB it is offhand?

Preset is nice...especially with that ir. My main Strat has Fralin Blues Special hybrids with blender in 2nd tone pot.My strat gets very close to the clean-ish hi drive tone you had. Again nice playin man.
And thanks so much for sharing the preset...............
Glad you liked it.
Yes, I used only the humbucker of the bridge. It is a custom pickup (Brazilian custom pickups by "Ivan Freitas", Classic 60), but basically it is a PAF (Output: Medium / moderate
DC 0hm (K): 8.30, bass: 6, Middle: 5.5 Treble: 7).

Back
Top Bottom