Brian May tone

I just downloaded this preset and I can't stop playing, works really well with my Strat! With the bridge + middle pickup combination I get close to Brian May sound and with the bridge pickup and a little tweaking I got also Ritchie Blackmore kind of sounds. Very well done, thanks a lot for sharing it!

I converted this for AxeFX III as I'm about to perform Bohemian Rhapsody as part of a show. So I decided to check it out.
I slowed down the chorus rate and reduced the mix a bit. And I don't had a red special. And I'm not Brian! Ha ha ha.
But here it is anyhow. Just for fun, clam and all ...

I converted this for AxeFX III as I'm about to perform Bohemian Rhapsody as part of a show. So I decided to check it out.
I slowed down the chorus rate and reduced the mix a bit. And I don't had a red special. And I'm not Brian! Ha ha ha.
But here it is anyhow. Just for fun, clam and all ...

Sounds great Patzag!

I placed the chorus and didn't really take time to nail down the rates or depth. I gave a few tone samples that Brian uses in the Star Licks video as a point of reference a close listen. In certain points where he is not playing You can hear a pair of sweeps slightly out of time in either the phase or chorus not sure which, both of which I couldn't get from any of the models in the AX8. The circuitry used in the pedal on that vid creating that sound must be proprietary to that pedal, not sure.

The other problem I had with the preset was getting it to clean up by simply rolling back the volume knob. Because I used the Wah block and a Drive to get the overdriven tone it doesn't clean up like an amp does. I tried to compensate with using a filter block in parallel but it still doesn't quite react the same.

Either way what you have in your recording is very close to what I hear using the same preset. Hope you were able to put it to good use!

Last edited:
Sounds great Patzag!

I placed the chorus and didn't really take time to nail down the rates or depth. I gave a few tone samples that Brian uses in the Star Licks video as a point of reference a close listen. In certain points where he is not playing You can hear a pair of sweeps slightly out of time in either the phase or chorus not sure which, both of which I couldn't get from any of the models in the AX8. The circuitry used in the pedal on that vid creating that sound must be proprietary to that pedal, not sure.

The other problem I had with the preset was getting it to clean up by simply rolling back the volume knob. Because I used the Wah block and a Drive to get the overdriven tone it doesn't clean up like an amp does. I tried to compensate with using a filter block in parallel but it still doesn't quite react the same.

Either way what you have in your recording is very close to what I hear using the same preset. Hope you were able to put it to good use!

I have watched this video a bunch of times... best thing about it is how off the chain his feedback is due to how loud he plays and how he is able to control it. It is a big part of his sound!

There’s a use for 3 amp blocks right there!
@FractalAudio
Thanks
Pauly

Sounds great Patzag!

Th

I have watched this video a bunch of times... best thing about it is how off the chain his feedback is due to how loud he plays and how he is able to control it. It is a big part of his sound!

Exactly! and that's why the pickups he is using and the phase switching plays a large part, it all works together very well. If I had a Red special guitar the signal chain in this preset would have been a lot different.

It would have been largely volume dependant to bring out the subtleties in the driven tones but would have cleaned up a lot nicer!

Thank you so much or posting this. You saved me hours of knob twisting....!!!!

I know huh ;) !

It should be a good base tone for different guitar types, some tuning might be needed but that's to be expected with some presets especially presets that are so unique in sound.

Back
Top Bottom