Brett Garsed with Virgil Arlo pickups and AX8

Hey guys,
This is a little promo vid for Virgil Arlo pickups. I'm playing with John Farnham in Australia. It was a benefit gig for our farmers who are struggling with a severe drought and it was broadcast live on tv. I'm using the Ax8 for my live rig here, even running it (cab/amp sims and all) into a couple of Fender Hot Rod Devilles for surround sound with the stereo front monitors. The Arlo's are in both my Strats and the old Ax8 is still doing a great job!

Sounds great. Nice that the AX8 still has its place on the big stage.

Interesting that you are using--cab/amp sims and all--into regular amps/cabs. I find that there are times when the AX8 amp and cab sims sound phenomenal when coupled with regular amps and cabs. Of course, it is all subjective.

Sounds great. Nice that the AX8 still has its place on the big stage.

Interesting that you are using--cab/amp sims and all--into regular amps/cabs. I find that there are times when the AX8 amp and cab sims sound phenomenal when coupled with regular amps and cabs. Of course, it is all subjective.
We ended up doing it by accident as the Ax8 power jack was damaged so while my tech was fixing it he plugged me into the Hot Rod Deville for the soundcheck. We plugged the Ax8 back in and I was monitoring through the stereo monitors in front of me as usual, but he decided to plug in the backup amp as well so we ended up using 2 and running in stereo behind me as well. I'm completely surrounded by the sound which is great on the big stages.
Quick question here - would I need to use humbuster cables so I could use output 2 and bypass the cab sims?

We ended up doing it by accident as the Ax8 power jack was damaged so while my tech was fixing it he plugged me into the Hot Rod Deville for the soundcheck. We plugged the Ax8 back in and I was monitoring through the stereo monitors in front of me as usual, but he decided to plug in the backup amp as well so we ended up using 2 and running in stereo behind me as well. I'm completely surrounded by the sound which is great on the big stages.
Quick question here - would I need to use humbuster cables so I could use output 2 and bypass the cab sims?

Assuming that Output 1 will be with cab sim for FOH feed and output 2 is for a regular amp/cab feed, the setup from Output 2 with no cab sims should be like the layout on page 17 of manual. Yes, I do use humbuster cables but have used regular instrument cables before as well with no issues.

You're a gem Brett, that sounds amazing.
Thanks Leon! I watch your YouTube clips all the time. The one that really blew me away was where you used a pitch block (I think?) to change the gain level as you played higher up the neck. I've never seen anyone else do this so you're ahead of the curve here. I wonder if it'd work using midrange so it'd make the higher notes a bit beefier?

Assuming that Output 1 will be with cab sim for FOH feed and output 2 is for a regular amp/cab feed, the setup from Output 2 with no cab sims should be like the layout on page 17 of manual. Yes, I do use humbuster cables but have used regular instrument cables before as well with no issues.
Thanks for that! I forgot that I have to use an fx send for output 2. It's been a while since I've used this setup so I'll give it a try. Cheers.

@Brett Garsed thanks man! I'd try a filter block in front of the amp, type set to peaking with the pitch follower attached to the gain control. That way you can select the freuqnecy you want boosted as you work up the neck. Will have to try it myself, that's a great idea.

Hey guys,
This is a little promo vid for Virgil Arlo pickups. I'm playing with John Farnham in Australia. It was a benefit gig for our farmers who are struggling with a severe drought and it was broadcast live on tv. I'm using the Ax8 for my live rig here, even running it (cab/amp sims and all) into a couple of Fender Hot Rod Devilles for surround sound with the stereo front monitors. The Arlo's are in both my Strats and the old Ax8 is still doing a great job!

So I’m dropping a set of new prewired Virgil Arlo pups into my old Jeff Beck Strat today...hope to be thanking you later....................

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
SO ......I just had a chance to pick up my Jeff Beck sig Strat that had the new Virgil Arlo just dropped in ...replacIng the Stock Noiseless that I never really dug, but they were quiet as hyped...when using this with my full rig hooked up to MacBook with big honking monitor...the EM rendered positions 1,3 nd 5 unusable from the hum, as I suspected these new pups would be ...BUT... when the computer and monitors off, My III going into both studio monitors and a 1x12 Barefced cab driven by the Waza Amp expander poweramp and the III pre cab signal , as the @austinbuddy naked amps are set up....
I HAVE NEVER HAD STRAT TONE LIKE THIS BEFORE.......I don’t deserve to sound this good.....using Buddy’s new V 11 version of the Steel String Singer
( his modded Ampeg patch,) I was in Dumbly style heaven..........on all 5 positions....WOW.
So I guess I use this axe sans computer...

SO ......I just had a chance to pick up my Jeff Beck sig Strat that had the new Virgil Arlo just dropped in ...replacIng the Stock Noiseless that I never really dug, but they were quiet as hyped...when using this with my full rig hooked up to MacBook with big honking monitor...the EM rendered positions 1,3 nd 5 unusable from the hum, as I suspected these new pups would be ...BUT... when the computer and monitors off, My III going into both studio monitors and a 1x12 Barefced cab driven by the Waza Amp expander poweramp and the III pre cab signal , as the @austinbuddy naked amps are set up....
I HAVE NEVER HAD STRAT TONE LIKE THIS BEFORE.......I don’t deserve to sound this good.....using Buddy’s new V 11 version of the Steel String Singer
( his modded Ampeg patch,) I was in Dumbly style heaven..........on all 5 positions....WOW.
So I guess I use this axe sans computer...
Glad you like the Arlo pickups, I think they're amazing! I was a bit worried about the hum myself as I knew I'd be using them on big stages through very large PA systems so (looks like name dropping here but I don't mean it that way) I asked Scott Henderson about the Suhr noiseless system but he told me it's exclusive to Suhr so he turned me onto this setup. https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/ I got the backplate version and it works brilliantly. I can't really hear any change in tone with the Arlos and the guitar is incredibly hum-free. I originally had my guitar wired for a tone for bridge pickup and a tone for the neck/middle but with the Ilytch installed I had to sacrifice the tone for the middle and just have it for bridge and neck.

Back
Top Bottom