Breaking up with Apple....

Yeah, as someone who has actually tried to set up a hackintosh, it's not the same. Apple adds a bunch of their own custom stuff (smc, power management, etc), and almost none of that will work with a hackintosh, so you end up with something that only kinda works, and you have to disable binary signing to get it to boot at all. And then you need to be really careful with updates, because they can screw things up. My time costs more than the "savings".

Oh oh next one is going to break up with apple...

yeah i watched some of this but had to stop. it's the typical "apple's making so many changes" - which i agree with, but only to a point. the computer/tech industry is growing exponentially, soooo fast. i honestly can't imagine having FW400 in the latest machines of today - even though i invested in 400/800 hard drives, interfaces, etc.

if anything, i've learned to not buy things unless i really need it, and get ready to sell it quickly when the next iteration is hinted at.

also, i'm sorry, but the G5 Towers and older computers have been dead for a very, very long time. i sold a G4 or G5 (can't remember) tower for a friend in 2010 for $200... 200. it cost him so much more obviously, but that generation of computers was just dead when the ~2011 iMacs came out.

customers are requesting smaller and lighter devices, and changing the ports is the way to do that. i don't know what rick said after the first 2 minutes or so. but it's not necessarily apple - yes there ARE some changes since Steve has left us - but i wonder what his knowledge of the PC market is. it's not like there aren't changes going on there too. and i doubt many people mod their laptops in the typical "i can do anything with my PC" sense. desktops are of course a different conversation, but once i stopped dicking around with my PC computers and phones and just got to work with the Macs that performed amazingly, my productivity increased a ton.

yeah i watched some of this but had to stop. it's the typical "apple's making so many changes" - which i agree with, but only to a point. the computer/tech industry is growing exponentially, soooo fast. i honestly can't imagine having FW400 in the latest machines of today - even though i invested in 400/800 hard drives, interfaces, etc.

if anything, i've learned to not buy things unless i really need it, and get ready to sell it quickly when the next iteration is hinted at.

also, i'm sorry, but the G5 Towers and older computers have been dead for a very, very long time. i sold a G4 or G5 (can't remember) tower for a friend in 2010 for $200... 200. it cost him so much more obviously, but that generation of computers was just dead when the ~2011 iMacs came out.

customers are requesting smaller and lighter devices, and changing the ports is the way to do that. i don't know what rick said after the first 2 minutes or so. but it's not necessarily apple - yes there ARE some changes since Steve has left us - but i wonder what his knowledge of the PC market is. it's not like there aren't changes going on there too. and i doubt many people mod their laptops in the typical "i can do anything with my PC" sense. desktops are of course a different conversation, but once i stopped dicking around with my PC computers and phones and just got to work with the Macs that performed amazingly, my productivity increased a ton.

I‘m with you, i still use my whole Apple environment with no regrets ( imac4k, even the macbookpro 2016, ipad pro with pencil, iphone...)
I love to use my Ipad with the pencil and OneNote etc.
But i can understand when professional user rely on consistency and usability.
Apple seems to loose focus with pro user needs, money is in the consumer area.

I‘m used to workarounds or new stuff, because i get paid to work with it every day.
As a musician or producer like Rick i can imagine why it‘s upsetting.

Btw Apples new power machine looks good, but their pricerange starts 1000 bucks too high imo

i honestly can't imagine having FW400 in the latest machines of today - even though i invested in 400/800 hard drives, interfaces, etc.
I will say the interface changes from my mid-2007 iMac to the new 5k iMac are a little silly. I spent $100 on a TB3 -> FW800 and a FW800 -> FW400 adapter just to be able to connect my Saffire Pro 14 interface on the new iMac. Less than a new interface, but still silly.

That last revision of the cheese grater tower still sells for >$1000 on eBay because they're _very_ upgrade-able. You can get OS X to recognize and run on them with newer processors and current gen video cards. That's pretty cool. You don't get all the bells and whistles though because the mobos don't have modern BT, etc. for handoff to work with. I do wish Apple would bring back the modular tower design...I know that's never gonna happen.

I'm dissappointed in some respects with apple...
but the imac pro coming end of this year is insane....pricey but finally...bye bye tower fiasco.

great thread! You guys know your tech! What the noobs want to know though is...Iphone 7 and on...Do you have to have bluetooth audio to charge simultaneously, and does it actually work?

great thread! You guys know your tech! What the noobs want to know though is...Iphone 7 and on...Do you have to have bluetooth audio to charge simultaneously, and does it actually work?
there is no physical audio output, if that's what you're asking. you can get a physical adaptor though that allows both charging and headphone 1/8" output. so bluetooth isn't technically required to listen and charge.

It does. I have a $15 BT receiver I plug into my car's aux jack and I can rock while I charge.

there is no physical audio output, if that's what you're asking. you can get a physical adaptor though that allows both charging and headphone 1/8" output. so bluetooth isn't technically required to listen and charge.

Ohhhh of course. It's been so long since I used a 3.55mm adapter to listen to audio in the car. Forgot that's how it's done too. CarPlay FTW! :D

Ohhhh of course. It's been so long since I used a 3.55mm adapter to listen to audio in the car. Forgot that's how it's done too. CarPlay FTW! :D
Google Play Music (My pref app) just added CarPlay. I looked everywhere in the app and didn't see anything new on my Iphone 6 LOL o_O

Google Play Music (My pref app) just added CarPlay. I looked everywhere in the app and didn't see anything new on my Iphone 6 LOL o_O
CarPlay only works of your car supports it. When I plug my iPhone in to my GTI the screen shows up on the main touchscreen for the car.

.once every decade or so, I get an urge to step out of the Apple pool and see what the dark side offers, usually based on the superior gaming choices Windows offers , but I always return to the seductive Apple ecosystem, as I have since 1986, even though it is obvious that the evolutionary arc has not recently favored the power users in the creative community ( (hopefully this changes in the fall.....)...so I decided to add a snazzy VR-ready loadedwIndows 10 PC tower from CyberPower to my arsenal, and the VR experience thru Oculus is pretty, pretty, cool, but I’ll be Damned if I could get any of my DAWs or my Apollo/FAS based home studio gear to play nice with it...so as usual, I slunk back to my Macs for my music making needs, where I feel comfortable and competent....in 2D.....

Back
Top Bottom