BREAKING NEWS: Kirk Hammett Loses to Mrs. Smith in Wah-Off

This is a funny thread because I agree with both sides. I agree that Kirk is done great things and is a part of one of the greatest bands around but also he kinda sucks. Oh well, it's only an opinion

I really don't understand why people enjoy bashing an old legend. And the argument that even 5 year olds play today better is crap. There are millions of shredders today but the music in general didn't get better, au contraire. In the '80. and '90. people mentioned his name with due respect. Listening to "And justice for all" during a card game at the friend's house turned me into a metal fan instantly. He is one of the reasons that I'm even here on this forum now. He is not my top 20 but he is a legend and he has my respect even if I don't pay attention to any new Metallica album since the Black album.

This is a funny thread because I agree with both sides. I agree that Kirk is done great things and is a part of one of the greatest bands around but also he kinda sucks. Oh well, it's only an opinion

Kirk sucking must be relative because technically he's got better chops then most guitarists. including on this forum, myself included. If he keeps it pentatonically simple, well, many of his leads up to Black Album (afterwards I stopped listening) are tasty and singable. Yeah, his wah abuse has gotten out of control, but this vid proves that he's at least aware of it and can joke about it. And plenty of guitarists have 'a thing' that they overabuse. Delays are obviously Edge's thing and Achilles heel, pinch harmonics Zakk Wylde's Iron Maiden does the same chord progressions and guitar harmonies on every song, Tom Morello pretty much wears whammy pedals as his shoes and has Slayer ever done a guitar solo that didn't involve endless crazy squeals? Keith Richards once said that half of your musical life you're looking for that perfect riff, and the other half you're just repeating it. I think the same goes for 'that thing'. Once you've found 'that thing' it will seep into everything.

But I'm curious to hear why Kirk Hammett sucks. What does he do that makes him suck? Well written arguments please.

He seems like a great guy, but I can't stand his vibrato (or lack of..)
Sometimes when I hear Metallica songs I wonder how they would sound with someone like Alex Skolnick, who is both melodic/tasty and flashy.

I say he "kinda" sucks mostly because of his live performances. His vibrato is not real pleasing to my ear, keep in mind I'm being super picky here, his tone is flat and tinny, all his solos have just about the same theme and structure and that gets boring for me.
I just think he has gone down hill since And Justice. I've bought ever Metallica album and I want them to be good, really do. But Kirk's solos are the same every time. Same tapping, same scales, same wah, same stuff. Technically I just don't think he is superior to a lot of pros out there. That's just what I hear.

Yeah, maybe, but to me you cant compare EVH to Kirk. Eddie's tone and phrasing are just too good. I think that's where I loose it with Kirt. Even old guys like Billy Gibbons or Iommi, they still have great tone and phrasing. They don't make that great of album's anymore but I still think they are putting out cool solos.

Yeah, maybe, but to me you cant compare EVH to Kirk. Eddie's tone and phrasing are just too good. I think that's where I loose it with Kirt. Even old guys like Billy Gibbons or Iommi, they still have great tone and phrasing. They don't make that great of album's anymore but I still think they are putting out cool solos.

When was the last time you listened to Ride the Lightning? I think his tones and solos are perfect
for the rest of the vibe of the album. Same with MOP. But I agree. From the Black album on I stopped
listening to him/them.

I just tried to imagine an EVH solo on top of a Metallica track..... o_O

Yeah, comparing EVH to Hammett is like comparing this guy's juggling skills to, say, mine. He could be doing the same routine for years, and still be excellent.

Yeah, comparing EVH to Hammett is like comparing this guy's juggling skills to, say, mine. He could be doing the same routine for years, and still be excellent.

There is skill and then there is who has better songs....

Id much rather listen to Master of Puppets than some lame VH song (imo) like Right Now, or Hot For Teacher any day....

same could be said for many “great” guitar players.... I mean YJM can play, but who can stand listening to him?

There is skill and then there is who has better songs....

Id much rather listen to Master of Puppets than some lame VH song (imo) like Right Now, or Hot For Teacher any day....

same could be said for many “great” guitar players.... I mean YJM can play, but who can stand listening to him?

Not a big VH fan myself either. The man and the band obviously have skill. But their music sounds way too much hair metally to me for my taste. Probably because it influenced that whole genre to no end. And probably because VH seemed like it was more an American thing, never hitting it quite as big in Europe at the time. Thrash seemed to resonate more over here.

I do like YJM though. He's like my guilty pleasure as far as shred goes. I can enjoy him in moderation. For like half a dozen songs. The dude's an original as far as shredders go. With an ego bigger then his backline of course.

Master of Puppets is mostly Burton and Hetfield anyway. I listen to it in spite of, not thanks to Hammett.

Early YJM was pretty great and novel for its time. Still sounds fresh today. Later YJM is just a mindless regurgitation of early YJM, and is, IMO, not worth listening to, since you pretty much have already heard it if you heard Rising Force and a couple of albums after that.

Back
Top Bottom