BREAKING NEWS: Kirk Hammett Loses to Mrs. Smith in Wah-Off

Why does Hetfield keep him around? I mean, I get why Lars is there, even though he's objectively a shit drummer. Jaymz carries the band basically. Rob is pretty good. But Hammett is just not good at anything at all, and he ruins everything every time he starts playing.

Guitar skills are probably very little of the total package for someone you live with most of the year. Dude is milking a cash cow.

Kirk is a 1/3 owner of Metallica, it would be a very expensive divorce. Not to mention, who ever would come in would have to play the songs as they were recorded, so what is the upside?

Shit, some of the players James could invite could play those solos better by rubbing their guitar against their butt. I'd very much suggest not playing them as recorded. I'd even buy their albums if they fire Kirk and hire someone competent - something I have not done since the Black Album.

I just wish I had a nickel for every post I've seen by someone who isn't touring with one of the longest lasting and most successful metal bands out there complaining about what a terrible guitarist Kirk is. He may not be my all time favorite, but there are much worse musicians out there making more horrific noise and trying to pass it off as music.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The first few records and tours, Kirk was playing quite differently and I’d argue for the point that he was getting better with each album until the 90’s. He’s been playing better these days. They were always a little rough around the edges live, as a whole. Whether or not that’s because Lars’ constant changing tempos is up for debate, but all that said, I couldn’t imagine any other solos on those classic (and non-classic) songs.

Gotta figure, they went from having a violent drunk as their lead guitarist to having a much more tame character. They were probably just stoked to not have to worry about a chair being thrown at them or glass bottles being broken around their heads. Not to mention the BS that extends outside the band when you’ve got a prick in it, IE, losing gigs, getting banned from clubs, etc.

If you watch all those home videos/behind the scenes vids, Lars is always on 10 and while James has mellowed out considerably, I’ve always gotten the idea that Kirk has been a buffer between the two. You can see that one clip in Some Kind Of Monster where Lars is just picking at James and Kirk is pleading for them to all just chill out and go jam. I’m sure that wasn’t the only time he’s played that role and it very well may have been the thing that’s kept them together this long.

My best friend, Nacho, he’s not the greatest guitar player. I met him 15 years ago when I formed a prog metal band and needed a 2nd guitar player. I hung out with him for 3 days before even hearing him play an electric guitar, but already knew he’d be my best friend for years to come. Right now he’s in a really rough spot, mentally. I’ve been wanting to put a band together for a little while now but have been holding off until he comes around a bit and starts playing guitar again simply because I want him to be the other guitar player in the band, knowing full well I could find 5-10 guys in our area that can smoke him.

I saw that clip and remember thinking when I first saw that movie that Kirk seemed like the coolest guy in the band and the only guy in the band I would want to hang and just talk music with.

But all bands have tension, so it was kind of cool they didn't edit that out and they stayed fairly real with those moments. It would be harder than hell to have a camera crew document the creative process even in the best of situations.

Sometimes it's not about the technical skill. I can sing or hum his solos easily since they are memorable and fit most songs well. I can't say I can always do that with the technical guitar virtuosi out there, though those are amazing guys to watch.

Sometimes it's not about the technical skill. I can sing or hum his solos easily since they are memorable and fit most songs well. I can't say I can always do that with the technical guitar virtuosi out there, though those are amazing guys to watch.
That is key, and something that makes you feel something. A lot of people think high speed 64th notes with metronome precision timing is music. While technically impressive I prefer guitarists like Blackmore that push the timing around and create tension and release. Of the speedy ones I like Vai the best because he has the chops, but plays something interesting and musical. There are others in that category as well.

That is key, and something that makes you feel something. A lot of people think high speed 64th notes with metronome precision timing is music. While technically impressive I prefer guitarists like Blackmore that push the timing around and create tension and release. Of the speedy ones I like Vai the best because he has the chops, but plays something interesting and musical. There are others in that category as well.
To be fair, Blackmore is (or at least was, I'm sure age has tempered him a bit by this point) an absolute beast of a player in nearly every way as well. IMO every bit as good as Vai or any of the other technical shredders, just more melodic and tasteful with his playing.

To be fair, Blackmore is (or at least was, I'm sure age has tempered him a bit by this point) an absolute beast of a player in nearly every way as well. IMO every bit as good as Vai or any of the other technical shredders, just more melodic and tasteful with his playing.
Hope you didn't interpret that as anything close to a slam on Blackmore. The intent was to say that his timing and musicality is what puts him in a class above the mechanical speed shredders. Blackmore and Schenker were my favorites from that era, and Vai is my favorite from what I might think of as the next era. There are a lot of fast young players these days, but some of them tend to sacrifice that whole musicality and timing for just rapidfire notes. I like it sometimes, but it doesn't send chills up the spine the way that little bend Blackmore does where he vaires the timing during the climax of the Smoke on the Water solo, and that type of thing he does so well.

Oh not at all, I definitely agree with you. My dad introduced me to Deep Purple when I first picked up guitar and I was always into that more melodic style of playing than the pure technical stuff.

Talking about Blackmore and that melodic thing he had reminds of back in 1986 or when I was working at a small manufacturing shop in Sothern California ny day and rockin woth my band by night., My boss came up to me to tell me something during that solo, right about the time that iconic lick came in. He saw that I was listening intently and stopped until the end of the solo, and listened right along with me. Then he said, I just wanted to let you know you are getting a raise, but I wasn't going to interrupt Blackmore. We both had a great laugh about that one for a long time after!

I think it speaks volume for Kirk to own his wah over abuse meme and participate in this gig. Also, this vid is better, as you can see the protagonists actually abuse their wah pedals.

Why does Hetfield keep him around? I mean, I get why Lars is there, even though he's objectively a shit drummer. Jaymz carries the band basically. Rob is pretty good. But Hammett is just not good at anything at all, and he ruins everything every time he starts playing.

I don't get the Kirk hate. I really don't. Is it because there are better technical shredders out there? Who cares! Having fast technical chops does not make for making memorable solos, only guitar note diarrhea. You need a sense of melody as well. And all the great Kirk Hammett songs on the classic Metallica albums have a sense of melody that you can sing along. I'll take those over fast shred diarrhea any time. Did he got worse in time? Yeah, so did Lars, and he is much, much, much worse.

Yes, i'm sure he's easy to live with on the road and to work with.

Never EVER underestimate how important that can be when you are traveling on the road in a tourbus, close to each other, for years on end. There's only room in a band for one prima donna, get more and you need a peacemaker. And you know what they say about them, blessed are the peacemakers!

Yeah, I never claim to be a great guitar player but they guy just plain blows at it. Hetfield, on the other hand, is a riff monster. Could you imagine someone like Jason Richardson or Andy James replacing Kirk as lead guitarist?

Like I said, there is only room for one prima donna in a band. Get two and you will have a full out war. Get more and the band usually never lasts beyond a couple of albums. If they make it past the first that is. In the end what do ALL super groups have in common? Too many prima donnas.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

The first few records and tours, Kirk was playing quite differently and I’d argue for the point that he was getting better with each album until the 90’s. He’s been playing better these days. They were always a little rough around the edges live, as a whole. Whether or not that’s because Lars’ constant changing tempos is up for debate, but all that said, I couldn’t imagine any other solos on those classic (and non-classic) songs.

Gotta figure, they went from having a violent drunk as their lead guitarist to having a much more tame character. They were probably just stoked to not have to worry about a chair being thrown at them or glass bottles being broken around their heads. Not to mention the BS that extends outside the band when you’ve got a prick in it, IE, losing gigs, getting banned from clubs, etc.

If you watch all those home videos/behind the scenes vids, Lars is always on 10 and while James has mellowed out considerably, I’ve always gotten the idea that Kirk has been a buffer between the two. You can see that one clip in Some Kind Of Monster where Lars is just picking at James and Kirk is pleading for them to all just chill out and go jam. I’m sure that wasn’t the only time he’s played that role and it very well may have been the thing that’s kept them together this long.

My best friend, Nacho, he’s not the greatest guitar player. I met him 15 years ago when I formed a prog metal band and needed a 2nd guitar player. I hung out with him for 3 days before even hearing him play an electric guitar, but already knew he’d be my best friend for years to come. Right now he’s in a really rough spot, mentally. I’ve been wanting to put a band together for a little while now but have been holding off until he comes around a bit and starts playing guitar again simply because I want him to be the other guitar player in the band, knowing full well I could find 5-10 guys in our area that can smoke him.

It's great to have a friend in a band who you connect with. But that friendship can also become a liability if your friend falls apart again. What if your friend starts abusing drugs or alcohol while in the band? Do you keep him in the band because of that friendship and all the drama that comes with it, or do you risk your friendship and tell him that for the good of the band its better he should go? Many a band has faced that dilemma and it has either caused the band to break up, or friendships to end. It's good to have people in your band who you feel you can trust and who are without prima donna behavior, but to invite a friend with a history of mental problems (based on what you've said), I'd be weary.

Blackmore was for most of his Deep Purple and Rainbow days an utter asshole, who literally broke people apart. There's a reason why the Deep Purple guys refuse to have a reunion with him, even for a single concert. I LOVE Blackmore the musician, he's been a great influence on me, but as a human being he was not okay. You only need to watch the Deep California Jam concert. Where the camera came to close to what he considered 'his space' on stage. Giving the camera the stink eye throughout the show and then utterly smash it at the end. Causing the band to basically lose their entire wages for that gig. You don't want that kind of drama in your band.

Great post @Muad'zin. Spot on with everything, and I have to say that I know what you mean about Blackmore. One of the greatest players of all time, but probably not someone I would want to hang out with or be in a band with.

I saw Deep Purple in 1986 or 87 on the House of Blue Light tour. It was an amazing show by all accounts, and I remember two big things. One, when they were starting a Child in Time and it was just the keyboards going in the intro, Blackmore was standing with his back to the audience facing his wall of speakers, and even though he was doing nothing, you could feel his presence filling the arena.

Second, when they came out to do the encore, it was obvious that they would have to do Smoke on the Water, but Ian Gillan had to really coax Richie to even start the iconic riff. He was shaking his head and didn't want to give the people what they wanted. Finally when he did start it, he kind of muffed it a bit. It was almost comical.

Back
Top Bottom