AFIII Breaking in my new Charvel with the Axe-Fx III

Doug Notter

Inspired
So I scored this ridiculous deal on a brand new Charvel during a closeout at Sam Ash. I got this guitar for $540 and it's awesome. Still breaking it in but loving it.

Backing track selected by accident. I thought I was loading up something else but went with it anyway. Takes me a minute to get to grips with it. Threw me for a loop the first time it picked up. Didn't know it was going to do that. o_O

Backing track by Elevated Jam Tracks. Link in video description.

The backing track ended but I was having fun... :)

Love my Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas; the maple neck is bright, plays really well, and have awesome tone as you demonstrated...the coil tapped cleans are a favorite-nice job.

I have a San Dimas Pro Mod, too, that I got about a year ago and love. It's just a sweet playing fast guitar. I can play stuff on it that I can't do on an LP or Strat. I don't know if it's the flatter radius or what, but for some reason that guitar gives me tennis elbow in my fretting hand. I really have to limit my playing on it, which is a shame because I like it so much. Stretching exercises that CraigInShed on this forum recommended help, but don't eliminate the problem.

I have a San Dimas Pro Mod, too, that I got about a year ago and love. It's just a sweet playing fast guitar. I can play stuff on it that I can't do on an LP or Strat. I don't know if it's the flatter radius or what, but for some reason that guitar gives me tennis elbow in my fretting hand. I really have to limit my playing on it, which is a shame because I like it so much. Stretching exercises that CraigInShed on this forum recommended help, but don't eliminate the problem.

Sorry to hear that my friend. I hope you eventually find a way to fix the elbow problem so you can really enjoy the guitar.

I'm loving the guitar but I'm interested in other players ways of dealing with sloppy Floyd Rose whammy bars. I haven't had a Floyd in ages and I forgot how much they annoy me if they're not nice and snug and they never seem to be without some sort of trick. I think I used to stuff a piece of fabric in them back in the day but my memory isn't clear. A guy on facebook recommended a spring or an eraser head down in the hole which are both interesting potential solutions. Any others?

Get one of these:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...os/Floyd_Rose_Special_Series_Tremolo_Arm.html

As long as your Floyd has a removable socket it should work.

All of my Ibanez Edge trems get them installed.

That looks like the same exact thing. Not sure how it would fix the problem. Is there something different about these that isn't obvious here? I've never liked this design. You tighten it up, it loosens up in five minutes and starts flopping around, and repeat. I want zero play. Like a screw in Strat arm. Perfect for vibrato. Too much slop in a Floyd arm for that imo. Great for dive bombing though. ;)

What I did so far is just throw a little spring down there. That took a ton of the slop out but it still loosens up over time. Someone suggested putting a pencil eraser down in the hole on facebook but the eraser I have is too big and I haven't gotten around to trimming it down yet. Years ago I had figured out a solution that worked but of course now I can't remember exactly what I was doing. I haven't had a Floyd in ages. I think I was putting a piece of fabric over the hole before installing the arm.

Is it because you find it harder to hold down chords? Raising strap height or adjusting neck angle might help.
I don't notice it's harder to play chords on the flatter radius. I think it's because I can rip more on the Charvel than say my Strat, so I am pushing my arm more. I try to play with a light touch, but if I play the San Dimas more than an hour or so, it aggravates the tendonitis. It's a bit maddening that I have a guitar that plays really fast, but my body can't handle using it. As far as angle goes, I most playing it sitting down (because I can't really gig with it). I hold the neck up at about 45 degrees. That's proper ergonomics, right?

I don't notice it's harder to play chords on the flatter radius. I think it's because I can rip more on the Charvel than say my Strat, so I am pushing my arm more. I try to play with a light touch, but if I play the San Dimas more than an hour or so, it aggravates the tendonitis. It's a bit maddening that I have a guitar that plays really fast, but my body can't handle using it. As far as angle goes, I most playing it sitting down (because I can't really gig with it). I hold the neck up at about 45 degrees. That's proper ergonomics, right?

I don't do the 45 degrees thing, personally. Unless it's a V shaped guitar. I let it sit comfortably in my lap if I'm not standing up. With the neck more or less parallel with the ground other than a very slight upward angle.

That looks like the same exact thing. Not sure how it would fix the problem. Is there something different about these that isn't obvious here? I've never liked this design. You tighten it up, it loosens up in five minutes and starts flopping around, and repeat. I want zero play. Like a screw in Strat arm. Perfect for vibrato. Too much slop in a Floyd arm for that imo. Great for dive bombing though. ;)

What I did so far is just throw a little spring down there. That took a ton of the slop out but it still loosens up over time. Someone suggested putting a pencil eraser down in the hole on facebook but the eraser I have is too big and I haven't gotten around to trimming it down yet. Years ago I had figured out a solution that worked but of course now I can't remember exactly what I was doing. I haven't had a Floyd in ages. I think I was putting a piece of fabric over the hole before installing the arm.
I've not experienced any issues with them getting loose.

Back
Top Bottom