Not a Bug Brand New FM3 Unrecognized by Mac or PC

Machfive

Brand new unit, haven't done anything with it, wanted to update firmware first. Connected to a Macbook Pro running Big Sur with a brand new and tested USB A to USB C cable - FM3-Edit and Fractal-Bot are not recognized and there are no modem outputs. So I get out a tested, working USB A to USB A cable and hook it up to my PC instead - same thing, FM3-Edit and Fractal-Bot are not recognized, no outputs.

I've emailed Support but am I missing something really obvious? I've tried power cycle, different cables, different OSes, very frustrating. Would love to give this thing a whirl but it seems busted right out of the box. My first Fractal product, too : (

Last edited:
Oho see here is the problem - my stupidity. For some reason the documentation I was looking at (for firmware upgrades) seemed to suggest that both ports were viable (or it did not have the USB A port Xed out) - I will try a USB B cable I'm sure that is all!

You are not the first person to be confused by this. The B port should probably be labeled with something like "to computer".

I soon as I got the unit, I taped over that damn USB-A port.

Yes, that is confusing that it's even on there... I suppose it's using an existing component from the Axe-FX and this avoids having to produce 2 separate units? They could've shipped it with a simple plastic plug in that A slot though. And a USB B cable of just about any sort, that is not a common connector these days, had to go out and buy a spare cable just to get the thing up to date! Anyway, I grumble but even in early fiddling about it's already fun as hell!

Yes, that is confusing that it's even on there... I suppose it's using an existing component from the Axe-FX and this avoids having to produce 2 separate units? They could've shipped it with a simple plastic plug in that A slot though. And a USB B cable of just about any sort, that is not a common connector these days, had to go out and buy a spare cable just to get the thing up to date! Anyway, I grumble but even in early fiddling about it's already fun as hell!
It's reserved for future use. It's not a carry-over from Axe Fx or other Fractal product - none of them have a USB-A port.

Oho! So eventual functionality someday? That's very interesting. I gather already a fair few updates in year one, that's encouraging!

Back
Top Bottom