br00tz clip - 7's/not shit/genuinely heavy - fw4

Ha I was going to make the same joke: "I was waiting for the guitars to come in but they never came."

The guitars do sound a bit noisy for sure. :) Maybe no dynamics in them anymore? Too much gain?

EDIT: The riff that starts at 2:40 is cool!

Don't listen to them, i liked it a lot, very brutal and has its own personality in sound. I'm sure those guys did never listen to Tony Danza...

The fact that you'd consider your opinion of a track based on a waveform says it all.

Still sounds better than 90% of the mumford and chun demos that get posted on here.

Oh snap! Shits heavy as fuck... again! Whens the acoustic record coming out ahah ;) Sick use of the whammy pedal for sure. I wish I could get a lesson on how to play this, Im not even sure where to start!

I also listened to it. Opinion of music is highly subjective, so I didn't comment on that.

I did mean to make a point about the waveform. Because it does show something.
Much music these days has no dynamics. Regardless of the genre.
It's pushed to the limit. There's loud and loud. And that's what the waveform shows.
It's a proven fact that this much compression causes ear fatigue.

Sorry you're disappointed. When you post, you get responses.

I also listened to it. Opinion of music is highly subjective, so I didn't comment on that.

I did mean to make a point about the waveform. Because it does show something.
Much music these days has no dynamics. Regardless of the genre.
It's pushed to the limit. There's loud and loud. And that's what the waveform shows.
It's a proven fact that this much compression causes ear fatigue.

Sorry you're disappointed. When you post, you get responses.

Understood but dynamics aren't purely the shape of a waveform. The structure of the piece, phrasing, accenting and volume fading in sections all play parts in the term "dynamic". There are plenty of different dynamics in that track (not the best example, i'll admit). But to write it off with "says it all" after looking at the waveform and then claim that music is highly subjective is bullshit. That said, it's a very loud track but at the demo stage that doesn't bother me. I'm more than happy to receive responses and negative criticism because that's actually better. But generalised statements with little information of how to improve are of no use to me.

Well I think the majority of feedback you're getting is that the guitar tracks sound like noise. But sure we could all be wrong.

For me it's simply that I don't hear note definition or pick definition of any kind. I really have to struggle to hear either of those. Based on that I would say that it's not the best guitar tone I've heard but surely I might be wrong. Someone who hasn't ever played guitar could sound like that if there's no note or rhythm. Just making noise.

And I'm someone who understands and sometimes even enjoys this genre. I think distorting everything in post processing can easily go over the top and I think that might've happened here. Slipknot Subliminal album is IMO the maximum you can go and still sound professional but other than that it's not actually good for your ears to listen to "noise" and I don't personally enjoy it that much either.

Sorry to say this.

Understood but dynamics aren't purely the shape of a waveform. The structure of the piece, phrasing, accenting and volume fading in sections all play parts in the term "dynamic".

Composition and Dynamics are not the same. Dynamics are in the mathematical details... compression/headroom/limiting is what I think Yek was referring to when referencing "no dynamics" in todays music. Nothing to do with the musical composition of the piece at all.

Composition and Dynamics are not the same. Dynamics are in the mathematical details... compression/headroom/limiting is what I think Yek was referring to when referencing "no dynamics" in todays music. Nothing to do with the musical composition of the piece at all.

Yeah, but that sweeping statement tends to come from people who have no idea what they're talking about or like to complain about the fact no album should be louder than -13dB RMS. The practicality is that music above that threshold exists and is some of the best. To make that statement is counterproductive. To engulf yourself in technicality and inhibit creativity because of aesthetics is boring. The guitars aren't supposed to be clean in any respect, it's supposed to be filthy. Super clean mixes with zero punch are not my thing. I go for a gut wrenching vibe that forces you to listen to it more than once to go back and listen to what you missed.

Dynamics can mean different things in context. I understand that he's talking purely about the RMS level of the track. But it means more than that. I don't agree at all with the statement that today's music has no dynamics. There are fucking plenty among a multitude of compositions and if you shy away from some music because you agree with yek's original statement then you are seriously limiting your palette.

To round it off, I really appreciate all the feedback in this thread! Thanks for taking the time to comment. From some of the comments regarding influences it's clear to me that some of you get it, some of you don't.

Back
Top Bottom