Bought some Redwirez - Good Choices?

zerolight

Inspired
Looking at the forum, and particularly at the stuff Scott's been recommending, I ended up grabbing for set's of IRs from Redwirez - hoping to cover everything from clean, bluesy, all the way to hard rock.

Marshall G12Ms
Uberkab V30s
Twin D120s
TweedDeluxe P12R

I've seen some of the recipe's based on Scotts V7 stuff in the forum for the Marshall and Uberkab, what about the other two? How best to use these? I've never used an IR in my life, so this is all new stuff. Eek. I only got my Ultra last week!

Graham

At this stage you don't need to mix IRs outside the Axe.
Just start by using (uploading) a CapEdge 1" SM57 to the Axe. Cab mode Mono Hires. The IR of course should match the amp.
To experiment you can switch the cab to stereo mode and select a 2nd user IR (or stock cab). SM57 matches well with the Royer. See the RW site for recommendations.
Suggestions:
G12m is great with Plexi, Brown, Jtm.
Uber V30 is great with stuff like Euro, SLO, Cornford.
A mix probably works well with Brit/Jcm 800.
Twin IR goes with Double Verb and Deluxe.
Tweed IR goes with Brownface and Deluxe.

Thanks Yek! I'll have a play. I assume I upload the 48 KHz-24bit wavs?

Once I upload a cab, it's available in any patch right? You don't upload per patch? I plan to do it via Axe Edit as that's been working well for me so far.

zerolight said:
Thanks Yek! I'll have a play. I assume I upload the 48 KHz-24bit wavs?

Once I upload a cab, it's available in any patch right? You don't upload per patch? I plan to do it via Axe Edit as that's been working well for me so far.

48/24 indeed. Yes, the user slots are global.
If you use a RW, set Mic to None in the cab Block properties.
And take notes, you can't see what's in the user slots later on.

Edit: oops, wasn't paying attention. The 48/24 files are only needed for mixing.
You can upload the provided SYX files indeed.

Good advice, yek.

There are some good starting positions and tips for dialing in your tone towards the bottom of this tutorial: http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

You load the files from the "Axe-Fx" folder. If you can see the filename extension, it will be ".syx". They are already converted to the Axe-Fx sysex format.

Welcome to the family :)

Ah. Thanks for that. I never noticed the AxeFX folder. Just spotted it. Thanks guys. And yep, I'll note down where I put everything. :D Cheers for the help.

So I uploaded a variety of these IRs to my Axe, including some of the mix recipes in Scotts Marshall thread by Scott and Atomic. Very impressed! They add a subtle, but very natural, tone to the Axe that improves upon the Cabs that are built in.

Not that I have the playing skills to show these off, but I've thrown up a short noodle, and I do mean random noodling, using the default Crystal Echoes patch, but using the Fender Twin D120 recipe from that other thread in place of the original cabs.

http://zerolight.co.uk/uploads/CrystalEchoesNoodle.mp3

Also try playing with mixes of Cap/Cap-edge to get varying types of punch and brightness. I've found that more Cap in the mix works well for High-gain, while Cap-edge is better for clean. But a lot of that will depend on you guitar/pickups/amp model

The Uberkab 50/50 mixes are also excellent for getting the best of both the V30 and the T75.

Hi Shemi,

Yes - coincidentally, I was doing that yesterday with the Marshall cabs. I had an SM57 on Cap on the Left and an SM57 off axis on the right. Used it with a variety of amp models from plexi through to recto. I plan to add a bunch of different mic positions to the Axe to see which ones I like best.

Back
Top Bottom