Bought Rosen Cabs...Now how do I get them onto the AFX?

New guy comes in and starts talking trash, people jump on him/her, as they rightly should.

Sure, but in this particular thread (and others I've observed) I don't see the OP doing any trash talking or necessarily having any bad intentions. He comes off as a bit demanding at times, but big deal. No real reason to create drama over it is there? I don't know, sometimes it's best to take the high road, rather than poke the hornet's nest. I don't really care though. I don't get tangled up in this crap. Like I said before, just stating my opinion and observations. Nothing more.

to address the sentiment that this forum is tough on n00bs... yes it can be.

many people here get mad at new users for asking "dumb questions." but many times those questions are just "the same ol' questions" that have been answered many, many... many times before. but to the new user, it's a new question. most of the "attacks" are in reference to that user not searching or somehow finding the plethora of responses to that question.

that said, some new users do want their questions addressed specifically to them and not from old threads, which is a bit understandable.

other times some new users come in here with a sense of entitlement and ask the questions, get mad when no one answers, or provides the wrong answer, bashes the product for being "difficult," etc. this attitude usually doesn't make people want to help them and they sort of oust themselves.

this sentiment is one of the main reasons i started my new site; for some reason, the information that is out there in many places - forum posts, wiki, google search - is just not getting to new users. sometimes these new users feel mistreated on this forum. many of the people i did 1-on-1 consulting with do NOT use this forum for that very reason or fear that they will get mistreated.

it really shouldn't be that way and new users really shouldn't get that feeling.

here is what i've proposed before, which i think will alleviate these feelings:

Dedicated Troubleshooting Forum - Heavily moderated to stay on-topic, possible limited replying

First, I think the forum is great, but I feel that there should be a separation between “discussion” type threads and “troubleshooting” type threads. In the Axe-Fx II sub-forum, for example, there are so many “help me” posts in there mixed in with other types of discussions, and even “help me” posts of other topics like Axe-Edit or the MFC-101, because people feel there is the most activity there and the best chance for their question to be answered. However, I feel that because it’s all mixed up, the “discussion” vibe takes precedence and people post funny sarcastic comments instead of just being straight forward and answering the questions.

I think there should be a dedicated “Troubleshooting” forum/sub-forum. All questions about “how to,” “help me” and those types of threads should be started there. I don’t think it even needs to be separated into Axe-Fx II, MFC-101, Axe-Edit, etc., as usually people use them all together.

However, the success of this new forum I feel is solely in how it is moderated and how questions are handled. Too many times in the current setup, a legitimate question is asked and either the wrong answers are posted or the thread gets side-tracked and off topic. When wrong answers are provided and left in the thread, someone reading the thread might try all those wrong things before going to the end of the multi-page thread where someone finally said “hey this is wrong, do this.” When threads go off-topic, the original question usually doesn’t get answered and the OP feels neglected. Or sarcastic comments start and dilute the conversation.

I think in a troubleshooting forum, it is best to delete these wrong and off-topic replies, or maybe do strike-through text on the wrong/bad information with a note from a moderator, just so others can see that the info was brought up, but not correct. Just keep the threads very clean as far as question, discussion explaining or getting toward the answer, and then the answer. It would be much faster and easier in the future to go back to these threads and digest the information as well, instead of reading a 5 page discussion of how a delay pedal was developed when the question was “how do I set tap tempo.” All that other stuff is great too, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

I also think that limiting the ability to reply to the OP and Moderators or "certified helpers" is a great choice for troubleshooting type threads. Most forum software has an option for this. Having a sort of “certified” group of people who reply can keep the threads short and to-the-point, while hopefully offering the correct answers and information. I think there is an obvious group of users who would be good in this role. It’s true that some great discussion might be shunned because of this, but many users who ask these questions just want pertinent information. Discussion can go in the Discussion sub-forum.

i am in the process of setting something up like this at my site. i don't know how much traction it will get, but that's ok, it's just me right now. i'd love to get a team of guys to help me with answering people's questions in that format. i think it would make the question and answer process much more streamlined.

but even after all this, it starts with the guy asking the question. if the protocol could be "ask your question, list all the gear you're using (keep a list, copy and paste it), list the steps you've tried, POST YOUR PRESET" - wow it's so much easier to help out with all that information from the first post instead of pulling teeth. i bet even with just that, things would go a lot more smoothly around here.

Wow, all bitching aside ...

I have never heard of Rosen cabs before now, what's the verdict on them? Is there any point if you already have Cab Packs and Ownhammer stuff?

This whole thread could have went a completely different direction at Post #14, if the OP, instead of saying "27 minutes!!!Gahhhhhh.....blah, blah, blah....BUT GET ON WITH IT" tried something like "Hey, thanks for that link to the very in depth video. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to solve my problem. I'm plum out of ideas on what the issue could be. Would someone mind doing something crazy like a Skype session with me to help me out real time?"

Now, I don't know if people even use Skype anymore or what, but I know that I would've attempted something real time to solve the OP's problem just so I could've saved myself the next three pages of posts that made the OP come off like an entitled child (of which there seems to be an upsurge around here lately). Just to be sure that I wasn't misreading anything, I went back and read all three prior pages and came off with the same opinion....that Forum Etiquette seems to be going by the wayside, and stomping ones feet and blaming FAS and the technology that is used has been on an upswing.

When I was a newb, I barely posted anything. I kept my mouth shut and came to this forum on an almost multiple times a day basis and soaked up all the knowledge and used the Search function. I worked hard to develop the scant amount of knowledge I possess now, but I still come here and learn something new everyday. To the OP and his defenders, if you are upset over the old codgers of the forum being difficult, it prolly has more to do with how you present yourself, not your actual age or post count.

There. I'm done screaming at the clouds today :jaded:

to address the sentiment that this forum is tough on n00bs... yes it can be.

many people here get mad at new users for asking "dumb questions." but many times those questions are just "the same ol' questions" that have been answered many, many... many times before. but to the new user, it's a new question. most of the "attacks" are in reference to that user not searching or somehow finding the plethora of responses to that question.

that said, some new users do want their questions addressed specifically to them and not from old threads, which is a bit understandable.

other times some new users come in here with a sense of entitlement and ask the questions, get mad when no one answers, or provides the wrong answer, bashes the product for being "difficult," etc. this attitude usually doesn't make people want to help them and they sort of oust themselves.

this sentiment is one of the main reasons i started my new site; for some reason, the information that is out there in many places - forum posts, wiki, google search - is just not getting to new users. sometimes these new users feel mistreated on this forum. many of the people i did 1-on-1 consulting with do NOT use this forum for that very reason or fear that they will get mistreated.

it really shouldn't be that way and new users really shouldn't get that feeling.

here is what i've proposed before, which i think will alleviate these feelings:

Dedicated Troubleshooting Forum - Heavily moderated to stay on-topic, possible limited replying

First, I think the forum is great, but I feel that there should be a separation between “discussion” type threads and “troubleshooting” type threads. In the Axe-Fx II sub-forum, for example, there are so many “help me” posts in there mixed in with other types of discussions, and even “help me” posts of other topics like Axe-Edit or the MFC-101, because people feel there is the most activity there and the best chance for their question to be answered. However, I feel that because it’s all mixed up, the “discussion” vibe takes precedence and people post funny sarcastic comments instead of just being straight forward and answering the questions.

I think there should be a dedicated “Troubleshooting” forum/sub-forum. All questions about “how to,” “help me” and those types of threads should be started there. I don’t think it even needs to be separated into Axe-Fx II, MFC-101, Axe-Edit, etc., as usually people use them all together.

However, the success of this new forum I feel is solely in how it is moderated and how questions are handled. Too many times in the current setup, a legitimate question is asked and either the wrong answers are posted or the thread gets side-tracked and off topic. When wrong answers are provided and left in the thread, someone reading the thread might try all those wrong things before going to the end of the multi-page thread where someone finally said “hey this is wrong, do this.” When threads go off-topic, the original question usually doesn’t get answered and the OP feels neglected. Or sarcastic comments start and dilute the conversation.

I think in a troubleshooting forum, it is best to delete these wrong and off-topic replies, or maybe do strike-through text on the wrong/bad information with a note from a moderator, just so others can see that the info was brought up, but not correct. Just keep the threads very clean as far as question, discussion explaining or getting toward the answer, and then the answer. It would be much faster and easier in the future to go back to these threads and digest the information as well, instead of reading a 5 page discussion of how a delay pedal was developed when the question was “how do I set tap tempo.” All that other stuff is great too, but it doesn’t solve the problem.

I also think that limiting the ability to reply to the OP and Moderators or "certified helpers" is a great choice for troubleshooting type threads. Most forum software has an option for this. Having a sort of “certified” group of people who reply can keep the threads short and to-the-point, while hopefully offering the correct answers and information. I think there is an obvious group of users who would be good in this role. It’s true that some great discussion might be shunned because of this, but many users who ask these questions just want pertinent information. Discussion can go in the Discussion sub-forum.

i am in the process of setting something up like this at my site. i don't know how much traction it will get, but that's ok, it's just me right now. i'd love to get a team of guys to help me with answering people's questions in that format. i think it would make the question and answer process much more streamlined.

but even after all this, it starts with the guy asking the question. if the protocol could be "ask your question, list all the gear you're using (keep a list, copy and paste it), list the steps you've tried, POST YOUR PRESET" - wow it's so much easier to help out with all that information from the first post instead of pulling teeth. i bet even with just that, things would go a lot more smoothly around here.

Yes Chris, some great ideas here.....

I like the idea of a separate troubleshooting section, maybe with mandatory info required (model, FW, steps taken so far etc...) like you suggested. It would save a lot of posts from people asking for this info, which is required to assist....and would overall make things more efficient.

Always nice when someone who's been here less than a month tells the rest of us how things are....

Tell me where I was wrong...should be easy if I missed the mark so terribly right?

I'm not here to stir the pot...this guy didn't spit on someone's grave or punch someone's mother in the face.

He didn't disrespect anyone.
He didn't slight anyone.

So this "two way street" crap is null and void. Yall fired the first shots.

He didn't assault anyone or insult anyone.
He said the video is informative. It is.
He said the guy on the vid is enthusiastic and presents well. He is and he does.
He said the video was long. It is.

You guys act like he kicked your king in the nuts and now must chop off his pinky with a ceremonial dagger.

Ridiculous. 2 bit adolescent drama. Utterly ridiculous.

This works very well on comp/overclocking forums...helps avoid a ton of unnecessary questions and get to the point straight away. Because we're dealing with so much more information though a copy pasta blank would be super nice for listing settings....I can' help with that because I'm still learning but something along the lines of :

Rig: {ex: guitar} > {ex: pre amp X} > {AXfx}{ultra/II/XL} > {ex: pedal or whatever} > {cab/computer} > {etc} >
Variable x:
Variable Y:
Setting a:

so on and so on....again, just the idea that someone with more knowledge of what the standard info needed is could run with. Then we leave it blank in a sticky where people can just copy pasta to make their own.

It's not true when I said it because I don't have a bajillion posts....but thanks for saying this. I hope these guys take it to heart and hopefully the OP reads it as well. You didn't present yourself anywhere near as offended as the peanut gallery.

I can tell by the type of dog piling that took place here that at this juncture it's a sport. Guys are just waiting for the littlest thing so they can throw a fit...this is almost a little side game....the funniest part about finding out who you are is that I almost said in a previous post they should expect that by necessity another place will come about. Some person they treat horribly or some person that just see's how horribly new guys are treated will start another place that is more friendly and more helpful. Then all of guys who like to look at their post count and hi five each other over how stupid the new guys are will get to do that uninterrupted for as long as they want, and all the FNG's will have a place where they are unafraid to ask questions. One will become a place of learning and acceptance and grow...the other....well...

So kudos for being that guy. You've done the community a service. I was directed to your site by a friend and it's both informative and very helpful and your attitude here is definitely a reflection of the work you put into your own site. Do you have a paypal set up so people can help you out with hosting/operating costs?

Useless thread of the day ...
Chris please ignore that ... Everyone who really cares to help and grow with this community/music tool , deserve to skip to something more useful [emoji6]

Education first

Wow, all bitching aside ...

I have never heard of Rosen cabs before now, what's the verdict on them? Is there any point if you already have Cab Packs and Ownhammer stuff?

I just bought a couple to try out of curiosity ( was pretty skeptical) and they are pretty impressive I gotta say ! They just plain work without tweaking !

Another suggestion is to have the OP update the title of their thread with from "Title XYZ" to "Title XYZ - SOLVED" and quote the individual who solved it into the OP so that all pertinent info is right there at the top.

Over at tom's hardware in the trouble shooting sections they give you the ability to pick the best answer to your question making sifting through trouble shooting threads waaaaay fast. I don't think that's an option here (from a code standpoint) but I just checked and we can update title's so tagging solved and moving the info into the first post is at least possible.

No idea if this has been solved , but I bought a couple of the cabs and had no problems what so ever ! I converted the Wav files in Cab Lab from the WAV to SYX menu ! Showed up in the folder I created and loaded right up !

Another suggestion is to have the OP update the title of their thread with from "Title XYZ" to "Title XYZ - SOLVED" and quote the individual who solved it into the OP so that all pertinent info is right there at the top.

Over at tom's hardware in the trouble shooting sections they give you the ability to pick the best answer to your question making sifting through trouble shooting threads waaaaay fast. I don't think that's an option here (from a code standpoint) but I just checked and we can update title's so tagging solved and moving the info into the first post is at least possible.

That's actually a great suggestion. I know most everything I know about the Axe-FX from sifting through WAAAY to many pages of people simply being jerks to the OP to find that one post that actually answers the question. I don't think some people realize how much difficulty they cause the greater majority of the people coming here for answers by making mountains out of molehills on forums, in general.

You wanna know why I didn't just do a forum search to find the answer? Because I DID, and I couldn't find the answer because it was lost in a huge pile of shit that started off with the same question I had.

On the other hand, if I asked a question, and got treated the way some people are here, I wouldn't want to waste the time to edit my thread title. In fact, I'd probably find somewhere else to get answers from, and just assume everyone on the forum was a bunch of assholes.

When asking for help a little humility and gratitude go a long way. Especially so when you are new in a crowd.

On the other side of the fence jumping all over someone for their immature actions doesn't really solve anything and most times just sends a thread spiraling down the shit hole. If someone pops on and acts childish and self entitled then simply ignore them and sooner or later they will either figure it out and act more gracious or simply go away with no solutions in hand.

There are a lot of people on this forum that spend an inordinate amount of time helping others. It definitely gets old when you are being talked to in a condescending tone when trying to be of assistance. There are also a lot of guys who either limit their time here (me for instance) or flat out don't visit anymore because of this constant bickering that is so prevalent on the internet these days. That is a real shame as many were extremely brilliant and had much to offer.

It is not what you say but often how you say it that determines others impressions of you.

Have a great weekend and you guys are going to LOVE G3!!!!!!!

When asking for help a little humility and gratitude go a long way.

I would like to agree, BUT...

There are just way to many people here from different backgrounds, and cultures, and countries, and languages, with different ideas about what is, and is not gracious, or humbling.

I myself, am a straight forward, just ask/answer the question kind of person. I don't care what your feelings are, all I want is to get/give an answer. I don't see emotion in text, and I don't put emotion in text. If I make a humorous post, I make it clear, and I don't post angry. I don't bullshit when I ask or answer a question, so if I ever seem like I'm angry, or "emotional" then you probably should take a few breaths, and count to ten, cause it's not me. When I was younger I put way too much energy into that kind of crap, and it's just not worth it. It doesn't prove anything, and it doesn't solve anything, it just causes threads like these, where the answer is lost, but it still shows up in a google search confounding future users with the same issue.

Great point Cobbler! And I usually just ignore the guys that rub me the wrong way with with the Entitled attitude. I guess I was just feeling feisty and had to type my own smart-ass comment when I had the opportunity. Not apologizing and no plan to take it back, but I did try to post something useful in my next post.

Have a great weekend all... and I truly hope the OP has figured out what he was doing wrong.

This is a great idea but thread name changes only show up on the thread list for the first 10 minutes after the thread is created. You can still update the name but it is not reflected in the main list. I tried to do this before with a bug thread I started that turned out to be user error. It's probably a setting the admins could change.

Do you guys realise that you've spent more time arguing about whether or not I was rude, than anything else in this thread?

Yet you guys call me an entitled n00b? Don't you think this "Must NEVER say anything remotely negative about anybody or the product" attitude is a bit entitled in itself?

"Forum Superstars" is an idea that I thought died in the early 2000s.

How's that ivory tower treating you? I mean I didn't even troll or flame the guy. In the same breath of complimenting him, I gave a bit of negative feedback. Hell I didn't even KNOW I was insulting him! Don't you think this is a bit ridiculous? This thread really should've only been about 12 posts long, but we're up to page 4 now.

For those who have actually given suggestions rather than have a deep philosophical argument based on the merits of an accidental insult: Cheers! I'll give 'em a shot after dinner. If that doesn't work, I'll make a support ticker rather than risk accidentally insulting somebody else and this thread bloating out for another 4 pages...

Back
Top Bottom