Bought an Axe-Fx 2 ... and it's fried

Hi guys!

Well, long story short, I bought a second hand Axe FX 2 (regular version) yesterday, it came today. I was so excited so I plugged everything and played for like 3 mins while I was in a short work break and everything worked and sounded AMAZING.

Well, decided to skip lunch to play with it for a bit. I followed a Youtube tutorial to set the levels so the presets don't clip. Turned it off because I had a call, and then I turned it on again and suddenly smoke came from what I suppose is where the power supply is.

I'm very scared because I just spent 1.2k on it and I want to recover it. The screen flickers a bit when turning it on and then, it shuts down itself. I had a bad power supply from my desktop computer and I recognice the smell, so I think the power supply is dead.

What should I do? :( worst day ever, such a bad luck

I doubt warranty will cover it but they can help diagnose your problem and find a solution.

I'm including pictures here, first pic just 1 min after opening the box.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-05-06 at 15.49.17.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-05-06 at 15.49.17.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 185
I'm not sure what "D55" does, but the Fractal Audio support team will. I'm sure those pictures will tell them all they need to know. A fix will cost a little money, but it won't be a total loss. Any chance of returning it?

Mark from Fractal contacted me 5 mins after sending the first email. I just contacted G66... Hope this is fixable, I don't wanna loose the money I invested in this...

r have all the sounds and all the power than size/control. And keep in mind- a $50-250 midi controller could work fine with any of the units- I got an FM12, and glad I did- it's nice, it's easy- but if I had to save money somewhere I would get the best unit without a controller or deal with that
Look at the connector above the diode. The pins in the MFC port are shorted together. Looks like somebody stuck a USB cable in there...

I made sure that I was connecting everything correctly, so I plugged the USB cable in its socket. I don't know what could have happened, I used a reliable USB cable and the power source of my house is working correctly.

Look at the connector above the diode. The pins in the MFC port are shorted together. Looks like somebody stuck a USB cable in there...
I remember that happening to a few folks back then. Some taped over the RJ45 port to keep it from happening again! You might have hit the nail on the head there.

Is it fixable? :(
Oh yeah, if I recall it just involved taking out the burned part and replacing it. If it is what it looks like, I'm betting G66 has seen it before! It isn't from a bad cable, it's from accidentally putting the square metal end of a USB cable into the Ethernet port. It will fit, and the ports are close, so it happens sometimes when a person is reaching around back trying to plug the USB cable in. The metal shorts out the pins in the RJ45 and, poof, out comes the magic smoke.

They'll get you rolling again!

I also recall someone toasting a part on the board by sending too much power through the unit to phantom power a foot controller. Similar smoky result, with a similar fix.

Just sent a message to Raul (G66) in Spanish since it's my mother tongue and it's easier to understand. Hope this repair doesn't cost a lot meeh.

Clearly that diode is blown up, but the question is, what other damage may have been done that caused it to blow, or what damage has it caused as a consequence? That's a nice carbon blast mark on the board by the diode, and that has to be thoroughly cleaned off as it is very conductive. You may be lucky and JUST the diode has popped, and of course that ethernet connector needs to have the pins repositioned or better yet replace the connector.

Best of luck, hope it's an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom