Botched Bass Surgery, techs please help

Stevetzag

Wannabe guitar tech here. I have little electrical background.

So, I got a new bass: an Ibanez GSR206B. Which had a problem with- I believe- an electronic interference problem or whatever it’s called when it buzzes only at certain angles.

I ended up gutting it, desoldered all the connections and started fresh. I did this mainly because the wiring looked like a mess. I also took out the PhatEQ knob because I’m replacing it with a kill switch.I got wires on Amazon that said they were shielded wires, but I don’t think they actually are properly shielded because there was no difference in sound- still have the same direction based buzz. Oh yeah, and I shielded the cavities with copper tape that has conductive adhesive.

However I did mess up the wiring:
My bridge volume knob makes a scratch like noise when I turn it and doesn’t preform properly, it mutes the signal at a very specific spot. And also my tone knob doesn’t do anything. It sounds as if the tone’s always set to max.

I want to get this right, and eliminate that horrible buzz.

Could anyone help me out?
Also, could I shield the wires more by using copper tape and electrical tape over them?

I can provide pictures of whatever anyone needs to see.

Hi Steve,
I’d suggest changing the pots - that will get rid of the scratchy sounds and dead spots.
It’s possible the interference you are getting is coming from the pickups so there may not be much you can do (seeing you’ve already do the earthed copper lining trick and used shielded wires. You did ground all the shields didn’t you?
Also, braided shields are way more effective than continuous stranded shielding. With braided shields you can strip an inch or whatever of the wire, and then use a pick to create a hole in the braid, then push/pull the conductor out the hole...it’s very effective and a good long term way of using shielded wire.
Thanks
Pauly

Hi Steve,
I’d suggest changing the pots - that will get rid of the scratchy sounds and dead spots.
It’s possible the interference you are getting is coming from the pickups so there may not be much you can do (seeing you’ve already do the earthed copper lining trick and used shielded wires. You did ground all the shields didn’t you?
Also, braided shields are way more effective than continuous stranded shielding. With braided shields you can strip an inch or whatever of the wire, and then use a pick to create a hole in the braid, then push/pull the conductor out the hole...it’s very effective and a good long term way of using shielded wire.
Thanks
Pauly

Yep, the shielding is grounded.
I was thinking about getting better wires as I’d like to try to do the same thing in a guitar I have that has the same problem. Do you suggest anything specific for that?

If you have any friends that have worked on guitars in your area I think I would ask them to take a look. sounds to me as you have connected some wires incorrectly, if the tone and volume worked ok before you started.

Don’t give up!
Get a hold of the circuit for this guitar, and try to trace each wire....you might figure it out and learn a bunch too! Worst case - go see the tech with the old “I tried to retire but it’s not right” ;-)
About your wire question...
Something like this looks appropriate (not that I’ve ever used this specific brand)

thanks
Pauly

https://guitartrade.com.au/wire-braided-shield-outer
Yeah, probably gonna bring it to my tech.

Don’t give up!
Get a hold of the circuit for this guitar, and try to trace each wire....you might figure it out and learn a bunch too! Worst case - go see the tech with the old “I tried to retire but it’s not right” ;-)
About your wire question...
Something like this looks appropriate (not that I’ve ever used this specific brand)

thanks
Pauly

https://guitartrade.com.au/wire-braided-shield-outer

Went shopping.

I got braided shielded wire, better solder, new pots, shielded PU wire, and an art hum eliminator. Just gonna give it a go again and follow a wiring diagram I found online.

hi,
here’s a pretty good way to connect the shields to pots

thanks
pauly

Went shopping.

I got braided shielded wire, better solder, new pots, shielded PU wire, and an art hum eliminator. Just gonna give it a go again and follow a wiring diagram I found online.

Be sure not to get your new pots too hot when soldering to the back of them, or they will be ruined in nothing flat!.....don’t ask how I know.;)

Back
Top Bottom