Boston Calling. Free D/L and vid demo

Burgs

Power User
I had hoped to spend some time Tonematching a fairly mint X100 I bought recently on the used market. But I loaded it up with fresh batteries today and it's silent. Ugh. So I decided to turn a negative into a positive and just go for it anyway. The results, accurate or otherwise, are here; video demo and preset. I hope you can enjoy at least one of them! :D

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7281

What is the model of your DK-24? I've only seen the HSS (which I have in Shell Pink) and the HSH... No HH model.

I really love mine except that it tends to go out of tune when left sitting :(

Haha. They're pretty great! Probably the best value 'modern' guitar on the market today in my opinion. I've got a US Select on the way and it will be interesting to gauge the 2K difference in quality. Watch this space! 🤟
Have you had any tuning issues? @nhgtrman has mentioned similar challenges keeping his in tune.

Have you had any tuning issues? @nhgtrman has mentioned similar challenges keeping his in tune.
No more than any other floating Strat trem. I give the nut a little grease, the bridge a flick every now and then and it seems to be OK. It's not a Floyd, though, so you've got to be reasonably gentle with it.

@Burgs Great job getting the Rockman tones.

@unix-guy I picked up a green HSH one a few months back planning to hardtail the trem. After doing a quick setup I ended up putting a tremel-no on instead because it stays in tune so well even with trem abuse. I was really expecting to not like the guitar much, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I do like it. Only real complaint at this point is with stock wiring, can't get the middle single coil by itself. I may rewire it. Also may strip the paint.

@unix-guy I picked up a green HSH one a few months back planning to hardtail the trem. After doing a quick setup I ended up putting a tremel-no on instead because it stays in tune so well even with trem abuse. I was really expecting to not like the guitar much, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I do like it. Only real complaint at this point is with stock wiring, can't get the middle single coil by itself. I may rewire it. Also may strip the paint.
Yeah, the HSS also no option for middle pickup only... But that's my least frequently used position anyway, so I don't mind as I like the other choices.

My tuning issues seem to occur mostly while the guitar sits idle as opposed to while playing. Does the tremel-no allow for doing "flutters"?

Great Tones....Thank you. I have a Rockman X100 laying around somewhere. Happy to ship it too you so you can use it too tonematch. Send it back when your done. Let me know if you want to try it.

Great Tones....Thank you. I have a Rockman X100 laying around somewhere. Happy to ship it too you so you can use it too tonematch. Send it back when your done. Let me know if you want to try it.

Hey Marc, glad you like them! Thanks for the offer of a sample unit to borrow. I got Shaun Klinger (fuzz builder extraordinaire) to fix mine. Should be back with me in a few days. But I appreciate your offer, thank you, very kind.

Wow Boston is one of my favorite bands , and I have never really heard a preset or any thing else that sounds as close as this one .. Great job !

Thank you very much. It seems that you get a nicer cocked wah tone when you use the EQ like you do instead of a real cocked wah. Do you have or has anybody any advice how to tune in the Frank Zappa Black Napkins Zoot Allures tone?
Because this seems to be a cocked wah sound, too:

Hey there Burgs, I downloaded the Boston Calling preset and loaded it into my FM3. The issue I am having is that is sounds like its in a tunnel. I turned down the reverb level which helped but still no joy. It seems that when it ported over it put most of the effect levels at 100%, and I don't know where you had them set to. I would love to have this preset, in your video it sounds amazing. Is there anything I need to change for it to sound close in the FM3?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom