Boss WL-20

Kamil Kisiel

Power User
Has anyone tried one of these with an Axe-FX yet? Seems like a decent inexpensive wireless option for jamming or small venue performances as the range is claimed to be 50ft line of sight.

I'm having great results with the Xvive U2. Works the same as the Boss, but has the advantage that you can move jack in any angle.
And most of all it sounds great!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U2Blk--xvive-audio-u2-wireless-guitar-system-black

U2Blk-large.jpg

Interesting. I was also checking out the XVive one too since it's similarly low in cost. I've bought a couple of their effects pedals in the past and was quite satisfied with the quality (their BBD delay pedal is great). The movable jack seems nice especially since I have a guitar where the jack is on the front.. Any problems with reception? Have you played out with it?

I've been using the XVive for probably two years or more now and no issues. Very easy and convenient to recharge via USB. No sound colorisation or latency that I can detect. For some reason people just like to spend more money on more expensive solutions....without even trying one of these. I probably wouldn't use an XVive if I was playing in a stadium, but for what I do (pubs and clubs) it's perfect and totally reliable.

Cool. I may just pick one up. They're so cheap, even if I don't like it I can resell it without losing a lot of money.

I'm on the verge of buying a boss wl50 but I still wait to find answers about how it manages active pickups which needs mono plug and not trs like the transmitter is and how it manages very high gain pickups like jp dimarzio because I had clipping transmitter issues with 150€ wireless

I've been considering either of these as well.

@voes & @vkinetic - how tight is the XVive's hinge? Does it swing around when it's hanging from your guitar, or does it stay where you put it? And although it says it only has 5 hours, vs the WL-20's 10 hours, I assume neither of you have run into problems at longer gigs?

I'm on the verge of buying a boss wl50 but I still wait to find answers about how it manages active pickups which needs mono plug and not trs like the transmitter is and how it manages very high gain pickups like jp dimarzio because I had clipping transmitter issues with 150€ wireless
Which transmitter did you have clipping issues with? I have a few guitars with hot pickups like the JP6 and an Ibanez with DiActivator-X

Ld systems, kind of French akg repack but I never found exactly the model at akg.
My worries are more about the trs plug on actives and the lack of antennas on receiver for reach.
I really prefer the boss on the paper

I've been considering either of these as well.

@voes & @vkinetic - how tight is the XVive's hinge? Does it swing around when it's hanging from your guitar, or does it stay where you put it? And although it says it only has 5 hours, vs the WL-20's 10 hours, I assume neither of you have run into problems at longer gigs?

The hinge is fairly tight - certainly not loose. I think the longest stint I used mine non-stop was about 5 hours and had no problems). But I just make sure that I fully discharge (by leaving on unplugged until the leds go out) and then fully recharge before any gig. And as should be good practise for any gigging musician using any wireless device, I always have a suitable guitar cable just in case. For rehearsals I usually don't worry about making sure it is fully charged - I just use it till the juice runs out and then just use a guitar cable. That's why I know there is no noticeable difference in sound or latency using the XVive as compared to an ordinary guitar cable.

The hinge is fairly tight - certainly not loose. I think the longest stint I used mine non-stop was about 5 hours and had no problems). But I just make sure that I fully discharge (by leaving on unplugged until the leds go out) and then fully recharge before any gig. And as should be good practise for any gigging musician using any wireless device, I always have a suitable guitar cable just in case. For rehearsals I usually don't worry about making sure it is fully charged - I just use it till the juice runs out and then just use a guitar cable. That's why I know there is no noticeable difference in sound or latency using the XVive as compared to an ordinary guitar cable.
Good to know, thanks!

I just bought a WL20 for use with my AX8. I'm a little worried seeing that the plugs are TRS, because my main guitar is a piezo-equipped Strat with a TRS jack that splits the magnetic and piezo signals... so... nervous as it charges up.

Good news, the WL20 works the same as an ordinary TS cable even when used with TRS output jack on the guitar. Sounds great so far. I'll try it out at a gig this weekend.

I read a lot on this matter, precisely with the line6 g10 and it appears that it's a matter of wiring grounds order, so it may not work on some guitars if the ground wiring is ab instead of ba, the only other option is that boss thought about it or using a terrible adapter. I couldn't get in touch with boss, so I long for people trying it with emg actives trs plug and musicman jp two outputs

Hey I've now had a chance to play around with the Boss WL20. General observation - works great with AX8 and anywhere else I've tried it. The TRS configuration turned out not to be an issue with my piezo guitars. By far the easiest to use it with is the Ernie Ball or Godin systems that have the option of using two 1/4 inch jacks on the guitar. This way I plug one WL20 into the mag output into the AX8, and the second one goes from the piezo output into either a DI or acoustic amp. That lets me go from acoustic to electric by switching or turning knobs on the guitar alone. I can approximate the same thing with my strat which has a single TRS output, but then I need a TRS/male to TS/female (x2) adapter and the WL's transmitters are left dangling. Which works but isn't ideal.

Got mine too and didn't even needed the adaptor I bought for my emg guitar in trs, I'm so happy I waited for it's release

Back
Top Bottom