Boss OC-3 Octaver preset, up for grabs & needing help...

YOGA64

Inspired
Here is a preset I made trying to come up with a replica of the BOSS OC-3 octaver.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5162

This particular pedal has a RANGE control that allows to set the range to which the octaver effect will be applied.

I use it so I can have just the notes on the 3 bass strings octaved, more or less, very useful when I play fingerstyle to emulate a bass player and a guitarist playing together.

Scene 1 is the clean sound

Scene 2 the octaver comes in

Scene 3 is my clean lead sound

Now, I've been trying to come up with a way to get this same effect, but using just the pitch block and using a controller to set the range, but until now not much success.

Is it actually possible\doable?

Anybody out there who is willing to give this a try?

Thanks for your input, and post your preset if you wish.......;)

Last edited:
This sounds really good, though I had to boost the level on the pitch block to around 10 to hear the octaver . I'm no controller wiz, but it seems to have potential for that. Thanks.

I see @simeon is online right now, and he is the undisputed king of controller fun.. perhaps he can Fractool this and give his sage opinion.....
Here is a preset I made trying to come up with a replica of the BOSS OC-3 octaver.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5162

This particular pedal has a RANGE control that allows to set the range to which the octaver effect will be applied.

I use it so I can have just the notes on the 3 bass strings octaved, more or less, very useful when I play fingerstyle to emulate a bass player and a guitarist playing together.

Scene 1 is the clean sound

Scene 2 the octaver comes in

Scene 3 is my clean lead sound

Now, I've been trying to come up with a way to get this same effect, but using just the pitch block and using a controller to set the range, but until now not much success.

Is it actually possible\doable?

Anybody out there who is willing to give this a try?

Thanks for your input, and post your preset if you wish.......;)
This sounds really good, though I had to boost the level on the pitch block to around 10 to hear the octaver . I'm no controller wiz, but it seems to have potential for that. Thanks.

I noticed just now that Fractool , for some reason, removed the Y settings on Filter 1 when I converted it from AX8 to XL+...if that is relevant to the full use of this patch, @YOGA64 , could you maybe post those settings?

No need to worry, they were not used, but on the x setting on Filter1 the volume is cranked to +20db.

And yes boosting the volume may be necessary on the pitch block, depending on the context.

Now, let's hope some controller expert will give us some precious insight................

Last edited:
sorry, i couldn't get access to the forum yesterday. if you want the pitch block to only work on lower notes,, you can attach the voice level to the "pitch" modifier. you''ll have to play around with the curve, so that you get the behaviour you want, but it's possible to have it act on the lowest notes only. you can see a couple of examples of the pitch modifier in action in my controllers vid on youtube

I have to say this is one effect with the Boss OC3 is the range filter that allows you to isolated lets say your 5-6 sixth string to a lower octave and have strings 1-4 noneffective is fantastic. This is the one pedal I truely miss on my analog rig. I used to use it all the time at solo jazz gigs playing octave lower bass parts while comping and playing melody in the normal guitar range on strings 1-4. I first saw Gilad Hekselmann use it brilliantly in concert. I tried to duplicate the effect with the pitch block but couldn't figure out how to do it. I would definitely put this on my Fractal wish list ,the Boss OC-3 with the range filter control for string isolation.

yes, it doesn't really work if you're playing chords and basslines together, because the pitch detector really only works on single notes. the only other method to try is using the crossover block (or a filter) in front of the pitch block to only let the lowest frequencies through. this method should work with more complex material

So, from what I undestand, it is not possible to get the same effect I get with my preset using 2 blocks, right?

anyone ever figure out how to put a distorted amp or a drive in this patch without losing the range effect of the filter patch? i cant figure it out

Back
Top Bottom