Boss Katana mkII as a power amp/speaker solution

Mindfunk27

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Katana 50 on Facebook market place for a stupid cheap deal. It was near mint and seems like maybe played only a couple of times.

Now... I bought this with the intention of having it just around the living room as a plug and play practice situation. This was based on reviews..
To my surprise.... it sounded great and has a really nice feel to it. It is harmonically rich and reacts like a tube amp... feedback and all. Not to mention the power amp is class A/B

I am a professional musician both studio and touring. There are things I need because of that... such as durability and a great tone, not to mention versatility to play in different styles/situations.

I played this amp at a cd release at an outdoor event at a winery last weekend and decided to give it a try: I was floored by the amp. Really great feel.
Did I mention I paid $100 for it?

With this said, I still don’t think the amps preamp section is anywhere near the level of FAS. Although passable.

This morning I woke up and saw there is a mkII version that has a “power amp in” option that bypasses the preamp for modeler and/or outboard preamps. They have a 212 that is $460 at Sweetwater. And I believe it is stereo too.
I am going to try this as a cab/poweramp for the FM3 for smaller gigs where a sound man and good monitors may not be a possibility. But who knows- this could be an all time solution

Just thought I would pass along this idea as some of you might be interested.

I'm unsure if the power amp is supposed to be flat (like a PA power amp), or if it is designed to mimic the characteristics of a tube power section. Either way, that could be a very economical way to go for a powered speaker.

I'm unsure if the power amp is supposed to be flat (like a PA power amp), or if it is designed to mimic the characteristics of a tube power section. Either way, that could be a very economical way to go for a powered speaker.
Will be worth a try I think. I think it could be flat because the amp has 5 built in amps that are all different styles.

Make sense?

??? ...The 212 version of the Katana 100 never used to be stereo. It was one of the more requested options for a future update by users, but if that's an expectation, I would double check that.

The 212 Blackstar TVP is stereo (or used to be), they are pretty-similar in sound quality - though, by all reports, the Boss still edges them out in that regard (by a slim-slim margin) - (and is also cheaper).

??? ...The 212 version of the Katana 100 never used to be stereo. It was one of the more requested options for a future update by users, but if that's an expectation, I would double check that.

The 212 Blackstar TVP is stereo (or used to be), they are pretty-similar in sound quality - though, by all reports, the Boss still edges them out in that regard (by a slim-slim margin) - (and is also cheaper).
This is a new version... mark 2

I just learned about it today so I have been looking for info off and on

I am not sure on the stereo part

This is a new version... mark 2

I just learned about it today so I have been looking for info off and on

I am not sure on the stereo part

I think the "Mk 2" refers to the firmware? Can't be one-hundred percent certain though.

If you look at the wiring in the back of the cab on those product images at Sweetwater. That's a mono wiring setup. I would call to make sure though. ...They would know, as it's a pretty-popular amp :0)

I have the 1-12 100watt Katana in my office at work. Sounds Great!

I picked up a Katana 50 last week and have really enjoyed it. Still using a CLR FRFR approach for shows, but I guess I’d really missed playing through a guitar amp. Makes the AX8 effects really shine. I added an FX Loop to my main presets and run the Katana through Out 2. Best of all worlds. 😁

I've been gigging for about a year with my Axe-Fx II XL+ and the Katana 100 combo.

Really, really good. Plugged straight onto the FX send. Slowly tweaked global PEQ onstage to now perfection.

Very loud, lots of headroom. Katanas sound best with master volume cranked right up. I only use 50 watt mode. 100 watt just too loud.

It's funny the GT-1000, Helix and Headrush (returned all 3) sounded like crap into the Katana. Go figure.

With the new MkII Katanas now available the old 50 and 100 watt combos will go for a song.

The MKII does indeed have a power amp insert as @Mindfunk27 pointed out as well as a number of other enhancements. The MKII has a single Power Amp Input, so you are not going to be able to pump a stereo signal into a single amp. The StereoExpander switch creates a master/slave relationship between two Katanas which are connected [Master Line Out] -> [Slave Power Amp Input]. The line out sits between the PreAmp/Tone Stack and the Power Amp.

The thing that I find really cool on the Katanas is the Power Control. To be able to knock an amp down to a half watt for bedroom then to be able to go to 50 or 100 watt is pretty awesome IMO.

The Katanas mk2 is not stereo but has a stereo link so you can use two while only using one controller. I did some research on this. Nothing beats this unit for the money. The new unit allows you to go to power amp in and use it as FRFR systems. I was trying to find info whether the speaker were Full range and could not find that. Nothing beats it for the money and the new units has 8 presets and 60 effects that I believe you can do 6 effects as a time. For a quick solution of amp, speakers and effects for a fast load in and out and great price, great value. I would think FM3 and two mk2 100 watts into the power amp ins would be a beast for a real reasonable price if the speakers are full range. If not replace just the speakers.

I saw a video of a guy replacing the speaker with guitars speakers and it was not near as good. So they may be full range speakers.

I have the 100w head in the studio at the moment and it holds up next to my Matrix power amp very well. Pretty impressive piece of kit given the price point.

Everyone should own a Katana. It’s very fun for grab and go and, with a little tweaking and the GA FC pedal, can easily be your all in one. It takes external effects well. The internal effects are good enough. For the price, it’s hard to beat.

Everyone should own a Katana. It’s very fun for grab and go and, with a little tweaking and the GA FC pedal, can easily be your all in one. It takes external effects well. The internal effects are good enough. For the price, it’s hard to beat.

THIS. I picked up the 100W version on Craigslist for just over $200.

When I first got my III, the only "powered cab" I could find at the house was a Roland Cube that had a PA mode on it. Not the best, but it got me through the weekend.

for Katana MKI (the first model) I think you can use the aux in - inserts your signal same place as the new models power amp in - I have a FM3 coming soon and an old Katana head that I wanted to try this with - just bought this cable on amazon Amazon product ASIN B078X85LFS
old thread but thought this might be good info for someone.

There is a user here on the forum that uses two in his live rig but getting a straight answer on anything gear or setup related from that guy is like pulling teeth from a piranha. Everything is a super guarded secret.

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Katana 50 on Facebook market place for a stupid cheap deal. It was near mint and seems like maybe played only a couple of times.

Now... I bought this with the intention of having it just around the living room as a plug and play practice situation. This was based on reviews..
To my surprise.... it sounded great and has a really nice feel to it. It is harmonically rich and reacts like a tube amp... feedback and all. Not to mention the power amp is class A/B

I am a professional musician both studio and touring. There are things I need because of that... such as durability and a great tone, not to mention versatility to play in different styles/situations.

I played this amp at a cd release at an outdoor event at a winery last weekend and decided to give it a try: I was floored by the amp. Really great feel.
Did I mention I paid $100 for it?

With this said, I still don’t think the amps preamp section is anywhere near the level of FAS. Although passable.

This morning I woke up and saw there is a mkII version that has a “power amp in” option that bypasses the preamp for modeler and/or outboard preamps. They have a 212 that is $460 at Sweetwater. And I believe it is stereo too.
I am going to try this as a cab/poweramp for the FM3 for smaller gigs where a sound man and good monitors may not be a possibility. But who knows- this could be an all time solution

Just thought I would pass along this idea as some of you might be interested.
-Don't have it yet-MKii 50 watts. But when I saw the power amp in and had a gift card for $50 from sweetwater I ordered 0ne.
I figured it would be cool to use with my lonely, in the closet, FM3 now that I have the FM9.
I'll have it Tuesday I believe. I needed an amp since all I have are 4 or 5 studio monitors and 2 Yamaha DXR10's-no real guitar amps for whatever.
wait, I do have he original Roland Microcube-in a box in a closet. :)

I will be happy to post back about how it sounds with the FM3.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom