Boss GT-1000 Core or HX Stomp?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I maybe want to buy an extra modeller/multi fx. I have an Axe fx II and I am waiting for an FM9. But I am just on the G66 waiting list for one month or so. So this probably will take a year waiting or so (?). I don't want to lug my Axe fx II and midi controller around and I want a simpler setup with more onboard on the fly control. So I was thinking to buy a used GT-1000 Core or a HX Stomp. I have checked many videos already. For me the amps sounded a bit better on the GT and the effects sounded better on the HX.

I know it probably won't compare to the Fractal stuff but which one do you prefer soundwise? What is your experience with these units?

Also I might want to run two pickup outputs (I have a dual pickup output guitar) separate into the GT with each pickup their own fx path. Is that possible?

Hey there! I hate to say it, but it depends.

I think you can get very good tones out of both. I've used both Boss and L6. If I couldn't have my FM3, then I'd get a Boss unit. But there are plenty that like the Stomp; I agree that L6 has very good effects.

Boss' amps are better but the effects are nothing to sneeze at either (and for me the amp is most important because it's your foundation); they actually have a few effects that are unique (teraecho being one of my favorites). Let's also not forget that Boss has a few iconic effects as well.

I think that Stomp excels mostly on the UI. I dislike the monochrome Boss UI; they are beginning to change with new products but that's what you get with the CORE. That's only a mere inconvenience though.

If you want a more economical interim effect unit, then check out the Hotone Stomp. John Cordy has some videos and reviews of it. I've never used one, but it's intriguing. If you plane on keeping the unit for a backup or whatever, then probably go for the Boss or L6 though.

Boss tones are great. Especially FX and some of the amps. That being said; the Core is a cluttered, clumsy turd imo. I don't usually gripe about interfaces but it's just terrible. 1/8" midi jacks, micro usb port, weird send and return implementation as well as the beyond dumb way Boss handles IR loading and use as an IR player. The Stomp absolutely annihilates it.

The HX Stomp is king of the small form factor. By a landslide I'd say. As long as you gel with L6 amp modeling.

Hey there! I hate to say it, but it depends.

I think you can get very good tones out of both. I've used both Boss and L6. If I couldn't have my FM3, then I'd get a Boss unit. But there are plenty that like the Stomp; I agree that L6 has very good effects.

Boss' amps are better but the effects are nothing to sneeze at either (and for me the amp is most important because it's your foundation); they actually have a few effects that are unique (teraecho being one of my favorites). Let's also not forget that Boss has a few iconic effects as well.

I think that Stomp excels mostly on the UI. I dislike the monochrome Boss UI; they are beginning to change with new products but that's what you get with the CORE. That's only a mere inconvenience though.

If you want a more economical interim effect unit, then check out the Hotone Stomp. John Cordy has some videos and reviews of it. I've never used one, but it's intriguing. If you plane on keeping the unit for a backup or whatever, then probably go for the Boss or L6 though.

Ok great info. I read that the GT1000 Core can handle dual inputs each with their own fx chain. That will be handy for me. The Stomp is more limited.

Back
Top Bottom