BOSS FV-500L POT REPLACEMENTS

stratos

Inspired
If you need new CO-ECCENTRIC potentiometers for the Roland/Boss FV-500L. You can order from Roland support.

Dual co-eccentric potentiometer F3229172R2 / $4.50

My POTS had dead spots in them.

You can't order the pots with the small PC board, just the POTS. You will have to remove/replace them yourself.

Did the replacement pot actually fix the dead spots for you? Every FV-500 I have tried has had dead spots. I ended up putting stoppers under the toe and heel to eliminate them.

sounds more like a calibration error to me.

I assumed that to start with as well, but it's definitely not the case with my FV-500. (Or the 2 others I tried out of curiosity. YMMV.) Watching the modifier window on the Axe Fx after proper calibration, mine was completely non responsive for about 7mm at the heel and 9mm or so at the toe. Some rubber strips cut to those thicknesses then stuck to the existing stoppers with double sided tape later - problem fixed. It limited the throw a little, but made it useable and accurate as an expression pedal. As a standalone volume pedal (ie, not using the expression pot) it worked fine out of the box.

My Mission pedal and my Roland EV-5 both calibrated perfectly with no issues.

Got ya, my second guess would be that the potentiometers have a wider range then what the AXE will read. The mission has a pot that is more focused in range of sweep. Just a guess though.

Did the replacement pot actually fix the dead spots for you? Every FV-500 I have tried has had dead spots. I ended up putting stoppers under the toe and heel to eliminate them.
Haven't installed them yet...sorry. I am pretty sure the old ones are toast.I used to run a high voltage output through the pedal which in turn, cooked the carbon wafers. I'll let cha know when I get the pedal back into the rig.

I assumed that to start with as well, but it's definitely not the case with my FV-500. (Or the 2 others I tried out of curiosity. YMMV.) Watching the modifier window on the Axe Fx after proper calibration, mine was completely non responsive for about 7mm at the heel and 9mm or so at the toe. Some rubber strips cut to those thicknesses then stuck to the existing stoppers with double sided tape later - problem fixed. It limited the throw a little, but made it useable and accurate as an expression pedal. As a standalone volume pedal (ie, not using the expression pot) it worked fine out of the box.

My Mission pedal and my Roland EV-5 both calibrated perfectly with no issues.
The issue with this pedal is the "throw" being limited by Roland's design. The pedal movement only accesses appx. 75% of the potentiometers rotation. I just adjust the offset on the Axe to accommodate.
Only took about 10 minutes to replace the pots. No more dead spots. Not sure how much current the Axe is running through the pots. ? If low current, the pots should last quite awhile.

Last edited:
Replacement potentiomiter for Boss FV-500L volume pedal.
I contacted a Roland/Boss service center today, and they were unable to purchase the pot, or the board with the pot in it, from Roland. They could not even locate the part, in their data base, using their own repair documents.
It would seem at this time, that part is not something Roland offers to their service center any more.

At some point when my pot is no longer cleanable with spray, I will look into finding a replacement from an electronics supply company, like Mouser, or Jamco.
Rebuild the pot stack with off the shelf parts, if I can.
Also considering replacing the stacked pot, with a normal pot, just for controlling the expression output, and abandoning the stereo audio pot and feature.
I just need a good expression controller for my keyboard.
Also considering redesigning/rebuilding the guts of the thing, to make it work, more like I want it to.

One of the things that I don't care for in my pedal, is that all the change seems to happen in a narrow range of the pedals movement.
No change for the first one third, all change in the middle one third, and again no change in the last one third of movement.
This seems to be partly from the mechanical design, but also seems to be because of the way the pot is made.
As when I measured the pot, while rotating, it has the same narrow range problem as described above.
I mostly use mine as an expression controller for a Yamaha YC61 keyboard.
So I am not running audio through it.

Back
Top Bottom