Boss FV-500H or L?

jiagap

Inspired
Looking for an expression/volume pedal to work with my midimate and axe fx, and to use with the forthcoming Fractal 101 someday. I was looking at the Boss FV0500, but there are two versions "L" and "H". I know this displays my ignorance, but in my research I see that H is for high impedance and the L for low. what should I be looking for for my use and why and what is the significance of the impedance? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the link, but it does not seem to answer my question, or if it does, I don't "get it" which is possible too. Which one to use with a midi foot controller? exp pedal out to exp pedal in - I would not me going direct from the guitar, but from the midi controller... does that make a difference.... again.. please excuse my ignorance..

As far as I know, the expression pedal jack on the H and L models is the same. You only need to be concerned about the H or L designation if you're running audio through the pedal. (please note, that this info was gleaned while searching out expression/wah pedals and is being pulled out of my cranium from within a frightening jumble of about 30-40 different pedal specs... if someone thinks I pulled out the wrong bits, you may be right, and please do correct both jiagap's ignorance and my own ;) ).

godprobe said:
... if someone thinks I pulled out the wrong bits, you may be right, and please do correct both jiagap's ignorance and my own ;) ).

Yes, please do (correct my ignorance), as I am heading into town tomorrow to shop and it would be helpful to know, as I would love to hook up an expression pedal to my midimate and axe fx. Thanks

Yes, if only using as expression pedal, it shouldn't matter. It would only matter if you were going to use it as a volume pedal as well.

But I want to use it as a volume pedal and an expression pedal? Is that possible into a midimate?

Note that using the expression pedal connection on the FV-500, a standard stereo cable will work fine into the Axe-FX (doesn't need the tip and ring connections reversed on one end unlike some other pedals). Axe friendly!

Into the Midi-Mate, it *will* need the tip and ring connections reversed on one end.

Not really a huge issue, just something to be aware of.

Great pedal by the way; very sturdy and accurate. Will give you a bit of a workout if you use wah a lot though - there's quite a bit of travel in the pedal.

:cool:

Chris

stratcat said:
Into the Midi-Mate, it *will* need the tip and ring connections reversed on one end.

Chris, thanks, but I really am displaying my ignorance, forgive me, but I don't know what that means. Plus, I still am not sure if I should get the H or L version. Any other clarifications for the Foot Controllers for Dummies class?

Thanks,
-richard

I'm still a dummy with this too! Think of this as foot controllers for dummies, by dummies.

Basically, normal/standard "straight" wiring of a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve - the three distinct sections on the 1/4" plug) stereo cable from one end to the other is:
Tip->Tip
Ring->Ring
Sleeve->Sleeve

For many expression pedals going into the axe (and some other devices), the cable needs to be wired:
Tip->Ring
Ring->Tip
Sleeve->Sleeve

The FV500 will work with "straight" wiring into the axe (unlike many other pedals), but into a MidiMate requires the crossover (?) wiring. Many pedals work the other way around.

As for the H/L thing - I use an H. I believe this doesn't matter for the purposes of expression pedal use, but the H pedal you could also use as a volume pedal for guitar (which is high impedance) in other situations when deprived of an axe-fx, so is the most flexible option in my opinion.

Using it for expression or volume depends on how you set it up in each patch. I basically have mine assigned to a volume block in all patches, except for wah patches where I have no volume block and it's assigned to the wah instead.

:cool:

cc

Thanks Chris, I think I may be starting to "get it" at least the last half. Let me repeat in my own words and let me know if you think I got it. Here goes: The "volume pedal" lingo was confusing me. As I understand it now, the Boss FV-500 can be used as a stand alone volume pedal, and as such, the "H" high impedance is the way to go. But in working with the midi controller and axe fx, it does not really function as a "volume pedal" in that way but rather as a "block controller" - depending on how you have the block assigned. It can function as a "volume pedal" if you are using a volume block, but it can also be used as an expression pedal as well for wah or delay or reverb or however you have a particular block linked to work with it. So for my primary use, either a "L" or an "H" would be irrelevant, as it would not be used as a "volume pedal" but rather as a block controller. But if I ever got away from the axe, I could use it as a volume control in other settings, and in that case the "H" would be preferred. Do I "got it?"

Now as for the ring/tip/sleeve... not sure I got that. Is there some cable I just buy that I have to "modify", or can I purchase an already modified patch cord? And if so, what would I be looking for?

Thanks a ton, I am getting closer.... i think... :eek:

-richard

jiagap said:
But if I ever got away from the axe, I could use it as a volume control in other settings, and in that case the "H" would be preferred. Do I "got it?"
You are right ... if you plan to use it directly connected to your guitar ...
but I suppose your guitar already has a volume pot on it, right ?
I made myself the same question before buying it.
I've bought the L version since it's stereo, anyway that's just an option I've never used.
If you just have to use it as an expression pedal (and believe me, you'll always use it in this way), any model is right.
The only thing is missing in the FV-500 is (in my opinion) a "lock" on the "minimum volume" pot on the right side (but this lacks on both the L and the H).
Take care, and turn it full CCW before each use.
I'm thinking about a polite method for locking it without removing it from the circuit, may be a little bit of silicon glue (that can be removed if needed) will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom