Boss FV-500H crapping out

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I use 3 Boss FV-500s as expression pedals for my Axe-II. The oldest one (High impedance version) has started showing erratic behaviour. For example, where I'm using it to engage FX blocks, the bypass state toggles on and off by itself at random. I've swapped it around with my other pedals and confirmed that it's only this particular unit that exhibits this behaviour. I'm wondering whether to try to repair it, buy another FV-500 or look for an alternative. To be fair, I've has this one years and years without any issues.

On a related note, is there any difference between the 500L and the 500H with respect to using them as expression pedals? Of my other pedals I have one of each but I've never noticed any difference in behaviour.

I'd try cleaning the pot with appropriate CRC electronic cleaning spraythingy or sumthin'...and if it doesn't work, maybe you need a new potentiometer. No difference between them as expression pedals.

I'd try cleaning the pot with appropriate CRC electronic cleaning spraythingy or sumthin'...and if it doesn't work, maybe you need a new potentiometer. No difference between them as expression pedals.

The pot is sealed so it can't be cleaned. It's also soldered to a circuit board which I wouldn't want to mess around with. Looks like I need a new pedal.

If you're afraid of manipulating electronic components by yourself, an electronics shop would do that for you at a price much cheaper than the pedal's actual price. I had an FV 300's pot replaced once. The pot costs next to nothing and for a competent person, it's 15 minutes work tops.

Back
Top Bottom