BOSS FV-500H CALIBRATION

sprint

Axe-Master
Hi:

Got an Fv-500h to use as a volume pedal through the Pedal1 input of the Axe. Works great except I cannot quite get it to calibrate correctly. Despite a lot of fiddling with the min/max knob on the pedal, it seems to not get quite to the top of a linear graph in the modifier display (toe down stops just a bit before 100%). I can adjust the min/max to hit 100% @ toe down but then I'm a bit short at the other end (heel down not quite at 0%). Has anyone had this issue?

I've used the pedal calibration function in the AXE but I'm not sure it is doing anything - should I be seeing a readout that indicates anything other than the message that says "move pedal through range of motion. Press enter when finished"?

I'd be interested if this is an issue, as I am considering getting one as my main volume / expresstion pedal for the Axe-Fx.
Is the FV500H better / different to use as an expression pedal than the FV500L ?
How good is the taper / sweep of this pedal?

Are you leaving the Vol knob at 0% during calibration? Mine works OK -- except when I try to connect it remotely through my All Access (but that's another story).

I'm not 100% on the calibration through the Axe (I use mine through a Midimate) but this sounds more like just a minor manufacturing issue with the pot and associated gear in the pedal. Someone else might be able to chime in about the calibration process.

Fortunately, it's hitting the zero point which is the most critical; it might be annoying to know that it's only going to (say) 120 out of 127 on the midi CC scale but for volume and wah use you won't notice this really. If you need it for pitch/wammy type effects though, that's a different story - you want it to hit the selected pitch at the end of the travel. For me, as long as it hits zero that's the main thing.

Otherwise, it's a good pedal and works really well with the Axe. I use mine with the volume slope modifier in the Axe set to 13% (I think this value came from Scott P originally and works well) and this yields a nice smooth taper. I believe the FV500H and FV500L are no different as expression pedals, if you intend on using the pedal with a "normal" guitar rig as well perhaps the FV500H is the way to go.

With the connecting cable, the FV500 pedals can use a normal stereo ("TRS") cable to connect to the AxeFx. *** Connecting to ROCKTRON devices *** the tip and ring connectors on one end ONLY of the cable need to be reversed. This actually varies between different expression pedal manufacturers (except for the Mission Engineering pedals where you can get a polarity switch to save you all that messing around) and the different midi controller manufacturers so not Rocktron's fault.

I like mine for volume and I think it's good for accurate volume adjustments and suits my big feet. It's got quite a lot of travel in the pedal which suits volume use, but IMO this can make it a bit of a workout for wah use and I prefer a Mission style pedal there.

Chris

no probs... with the taper, you should see the various parameters in the display for the modifier (to the left of the graph). There is another adjustment in the main screen for the volume block to specifically change the taper between linear, log1, log2 but I don't find this effective for the FV500... mainly the 'slope' parameter that I find useful.

Chris

craiguitar said:
I'd be interested if this is an issue, as I am considering getting one as my main volume / expresstion pedal for the Axe-Fx.
Is the FV500H better / different to use as an expression pedal than the FV500L ?
How good is the taper / sweep of this pedal?

"H" and "L" just refer to "High" and "Low" impedence on the actual input to the pedal. In other words, using them in a traditional volume pedal function when your signal is going through the pedal, the "H" is preferable. Using it as an expression pedal makes no difference.

KG

Sorry to bring back a 4 year old thread but I'm curious if you got this to work? My brother has a Boss FV500H connected to Pedal1 of the Ultra. A stereo cable connected to the Exp output. He's calibrated it a few times, but it doesn't go all the way up. Not a problem for wah and volume, but definetly a problem for Whammy and other Pitch block uses. The volume knob on the side of the pedal is at minimum, I think it was like that the last time he tried calibrating (pretty sure). Maybe the potentiometer is faulty? If you remember it would be great to hear what you found out

Hello, new axe fx user here. I’m wondering if anyone solved this problem. I have 3 Boss FV-500’s I’m using as expression pedals. All three are having this same issue. I can get it to work for the most part adjusting offset etc but no matter how many times I try to calibrate it doesn’t give full range of control. All the min/max knobs are all the way down. Anyway, it doesn’t seem like anyone here ever fixed this without faking parameters to make up for it. Cheers

Boss FV500 is tip to wiper. You probably need a reverse polarity TRS cable, so tip connects to ring and vice versa. You can also use an insert cable.

Back
Top Bottom