Boss FV-500H as expression pedal issue

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
So I've been using a Boss FV500-H volume pedal as an expression pedal, assigned to Volume, with my MFC-101/Axe II rig.
I never really noticed this issue until the other day when I had a very volume sensitive gig (with a symphony orchestra actually).

What happens is that from the 100% pedal up position (min vol) as I begin to depress the pedal, nothing happens (i.e. no volume increase) for approx the first 3/8" of treadle movement.
No amount of Pedal Calibration at the MFC seems to fix this.
As I look at the diagonal Volume slider indicator in the Vol Block's edit pages (from the Axe's front panel) I can see that no MIDI data at all is being generated by the pedal until after that 3/8" or so threshold has been passed.

BTW The same issue is there when using this as a simple audio volume pedal as opposed to an expression pedal.

Is there any way to "fix" this so that that first 3/8" of treadle movement actually does something?

I thought of wedging something under the heel area of the pedal to prevent it going all the way up, but that doesn't seem to be practical.
(... This looks to be the only solution actually, if I want to continue using this pedal.)

I also thought of opening it up and seeing if I can rotate the pot somehow, but that's not doable with this design.

Or do I need a new expression pedal, and if so, which one could I get that doesn't do this?

Last edited:
Hmm.
Just tried using my Ernie Ball VP Jr. instead, with stereo to mono X 2 splitter cable, and it's much better.
But I would want to do that splitter cable thing on a regular basis.
Guess I'm in the market for a new expression pedal.
Suggestions?

I used the boss pedal for a long time abd found it excellent. It just needs a rubber stopper under each end of the pedal to fix the dead zones. Easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom