Boss fs-5U vs fs-5L for Axe fx use

kennyhbr

Hi there! I have an afx 2 mk 1 and want to add a pedal connected to the pedal jack on the rear of the axe fx as i have no midi foot controller just yet, but the mfc is the eventual goal. Boss makes 2 dirt cheap(!) options, fs-5u (unlatching) and fs-5L (latching).
I want to use the pedal for "scene increase"and wasn't sure which of the 2 pedals would work best. Your advice is much appreciated. thank you!

Could someone explain the differences between a latching and unlatching switch, and the applications one would use one over the other. Please explain this in airhead guitar player language please.

This is from the Roland web site.

The terms "latched" and "unlatched" describe the operational behavior of the foot switch. A latched foot switch will turn on when you press the switch, and remain on after you release it (i.e., the "on" status is maintained after the switch is released). When you press the switch again, it will turn off and stay off (i.e., the "off" status is maintained after the switch is released). An unlatched foot switch will turn on only when the switch is pressed and held, and it will turn off when the switch is released.

However, I was under the impression that as it relates to the Axe, the FS-5U could trigger on/off messages which would make it the same as a latch. Is this not true?

This is from the Roland web site.

The terms "latched" and "unlatched" describe the operational behavior of the foot switch. A latched foot switch will turn on when you press the switch, and remain on after you release it (i.e., the "on" status is maintained after the switch is released). When you press the switch again, it will turn off and stay off (i.e., the "off" status is maintained after the switch is released). An unlatched foot switch will turn on only when the switch is pressed and held, and it will turn off when the switch is released.

However, I was under the impression that as it relates to the Axe, the FS-5U could trigger on/off messages which would make it the same as a latch. Is this not true?

This is where I get confused.

It can be confusing at first. I'll try to explain with practical examples.

Most of the time....latching switches are for turning something on or off...or switching between 2 possible conditions. Easiest example is your stompbox.

Unlatching is typically used for incremental changes that are not limited to "on" and "off"...like scrolling up or down, volume increase, reverb mix increase/decrease. Another use of unlatching is for tap tempo where it's like an impulse input.

I think these are the most common uses but there are certainly more examples.

Back
Top Bottom