Boss ES-8, scenes etc.

KW1234

I've read that you can map the Axe-Fx to select a specific scene when it receives a PC message. However is it possible to program an ES-8 button to call a scene regardless of the preset I'm in without messing with PC mapping? I mean, if I'm in preset 1, another switch selects scene 4 and if I'm in preset 2, the same button selects scene 4 of preset 2?

Also (I know that this question would be more relevant in ES-8 forums but), can a button in ES-8 be programmed to go up or down a preset? This way I could program an Axe-FX preset for a certain song and scenes to sections of the song. Then hit "preset up" switch to go to the next songs preset.

Is the ES-8 capable of sending midi CC messages? If it is AND it allows you to define the CC data values (many units only allow 0 and 127, aka off and on) then you can do "native" scene control. Otherwise you'll need to resort to preset mapping.

Is the ES-8 capable of sending midi CC messages? If it is AND it allows you to define the CC data values (many units only allow 0 and 127, aka off and on) then you can do "native" scene control. Otherwise you'll need to resort to preset mapping.

It can send CC messages but don't know if it can send CC data values, the manual of the thing is pretty cryptic.

I borrowed an ES-8 from a friend and in case someone is thinking of controlling Axe-Fx scenes with ES-8 the short answer is no.

Long answer, to some extent yes and with a possible future firmware upgrade yes, but here's the frustrating deal. ES-8 has all the functions to control Axe scenes, but there's a catch. Most functions with the ES-8 are done with it's assign functions/commands. You have to program an assign function to a switch, which sends a CC command and yes, you can program ES-8 to send specific values. All good so far but, you have to program another assign command for the said switch's led to turn on. Also, if you don't want to end up with all of the devices led lit permanently, you have to program 7 other assign functions to turn off leds of all the other switches you would use to control scenes. Programming the ES-8 is in my opinion easy and you can copy presets, BUT: You have a max of 12 assing functions available (within a patch) while controlling all the 8 scenes this way takes 72. With 12 assign functions you could control 3 scenes and that woud mean no tap tempo etc, since most of these tasks are done using the assign functions. If this limitation of 12 assign functions were per switch, that wouldn't be a problem but since it is 12 assignments per patch, no cigar.

Of course, you could do PC mapping from the Axe but that presents other caveats which I can't deal with.

I borrowed an ES-8 from a friend and in case someone is thinking of controlling Axe-Fx scenes with ES-8 the short answer is no.

Long answer, to some extent yes and with a possible future firmware upgrade yes, but here's the frustrating deal. ES-8 has all the functions to control Axe scenes, but there's a catch. Most functions with the ES-8 are done with it's assign functions/commands. You have to program an assign function to a switch, which sends a CC command and yes, you can program ES-8 to send specific values. All good so far but, you have to program another assign command for the said switch's led to turn on. Also, if you don't want to end up with all of the devices led lit permanently, you have to program 7 other assign functions to turn off leds of all the other switches you would use to control scenes. Programming the ES-8 is in my opinion easy and you can copy presets, BUT: You have a max of 12 assing functions available (within a patch) while controlling all the 8 scenes this way takes 72. With 12 assign functions you could control 3 scenes and that woud mean no tap tempo etc, since most of these tasks are done using the assign functions. If this limitation of 12 assign functions were per switch, that wouldn't be a problem but since it is 12 assignments per patch, no cigar.

Of course, you could do PC mapping from the Axe but that presents other caveats which I can't deal with.
Yeah... You need a "group" function to most easily deal with that problem.

An old thread but I was struggling with this myself and figured it out so I thought that I would pass along the knowledge for future issues anyone may be having with this.

On the ES8, set your PC number and of course midi channel under the Midi section under Patch. Then use CC34 on the next page. this is for scene selection. Then your CC Value defines your Scene number. 0 for Scene 1, 1 for Scene 2, 2 for Scene 3... etc. Hope this helps someone!

Back
Top Bottom