BOSS ES- 8 and Fractal Axe-Fx II

kondzio4

Hello, I have a question for users of the BOSS ES-8 . I will try to explain what is going on :D I would like to use it with fractals through Midi. From what I noticed, BOSS has the ability to switch between changing presets and turning off individual effects in loops (indicated by different diode colors). The statement says that this is the memory mode and manual mode, respectively. My question is regarding the use of manual mode in the control of the fractal. Is it possible for BOSS to turn off and turn on the individual effects in the fractal in manual mode, and in the memory mode, change individual presets / scenes (I have no more doubts about this)? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Does nobody use this controller? I wanna buy this but i need this information about manual mode and MIDI messages.

I’m not trying to be flippant, but for this type of question you just need to dive into the MIDI pages of both manuals.

The Boss ES-8 manual does not contain such information, and here it is mainly about the controller whether it has such a possibility. I am asking someone who uses or used Boss ES-8 with Fractal and can check it.

It looks like it does send MIDI messages, but you're going to spend a lot of time setting it up to work properly with the Axe FX, regardless if someone else on the forum has one and can tell you exactly what to do.

Unless you're using it with actual outboard pedals also, I don't think it's worth the $700. Personally, I would just use that money to get a used MFC-101 for half the price and it'll work right out of the box, exactly how you want the ES-8 to work, and then some. Plus, the MFC-101 has MIDI and phantom power over one XLR cable which is so worth it. You don't need a MIDI cable AND power adaptor like you would with the ES-8.

Last edited:
I know that it sends messages. BOSS will be better for me because I will use my wah wah and I also want to use my stompboxes. My question was different, regarding manual mode and using it as MIDI messages to start and stop effects in the Fractal. I am asking for information from people who have BOSS

I use a Boss ES-8 to control my III. I will test it later, but I am pretty sure that manual mode only turns the loops on and off. It would only send midi messages in memory mode.

you could totally do this. There is a CC list for specific block type on/off, in a preset if you set the ES8 to send that CC the block will obey.

There will be another CC that tells the Fractal to either up preset, down preset, or go to preset #, set the ES8 to send one of those and it will go to it. There is probably a CC list for the same thing but with scenes, + scene - scene or # scene.

ES8 is CRAZY programmable, in manual mode you can set any button up to do anything, or like 8 godam messages at once from one button. In memory mode you can even unplug buttons from memory function and have them do custom commands, just for that preset.

Reactions: JTI
You know what else the ES8 has in it? LFOs. Virtual expression pedals. You know what those can do through a midi cable? Control anything you want in a fractal preset rig. You know how many LFOs and virtual expression pedals are in an ES8? a BOATLOAD. like 8, at once. on one button. Per button.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTI
A: Are you a Boss sales rep? ;):p

And B: Why make 4 separate posts when you could have put all that information into one? If you think, damn, I should have said that as well, there does exist an edit button.

For gigging I use the Boss ES-8 to control presets and scene changes with my Axe FX II (I also own the III but currently have it in the studio and havent set the Boss up with it yet)
Cant remember exactly how I set it up or what mode it's in. But in a nutshell I have Bank 1 as preset 1, and then have it so I scroll through each scene 1 thru 8 using the boss' foot switches 1 thru 8 (its super handy both have set ups in a configuration of 8 meaning the axe has 8 scenes per preset and the Boss has 8 footswitches or loops). Then I bank up to 2, 3 and so on and have the same configuration.
I can basically select up to 16 presets and then access each scence 1thru 8 on all.
The bummer I found - at least for my limitations was whilst the Boss has the ability to change channels after 16, the Axe II does not....So I was limited to 16 presets for instant access via the Boss ES-8.
Hope this makes sense???
I actually found configuring midi quite challenging to say the least, I'm definetely more of a plug and play guy rather than a troll the manuals of various units for days/weeks, and thats mainly because I just dont have the time.

Step 1 Get an MFC in the For Sale section for $250-400.
Step 2 Buy an RJM Mini effect gizmo or Voodoo lab Hex for your extra pedals.

You can then use AXE FX mode on the MFC and edit certain switches for use with your external pedals. You will have access to presets, scenes, and the looper along with a tremendously smoother experience than the ES8.

You know what else the ES8 has in it? LFOs. Virtual expression pedals. You know what those can do through a midi cable? Control anything you want in a fractal preset rig. You know how many LFOs and virtual expression pedals are in an ES8? a BOATLOAD. like 8, at once. on one button. Per button.
An LFO is more like a continuously moving expression pedal... Not quite so useful.

However, I checked the manual and did not find LFO mentioned anywhere. I did see that you can set SRC for a button to be WAV or INT, which is essentially LFO or Virtual Expression Pedal. That's pretty cool.

A: Are you a Boss sales rep? ;):p

And B: Why make 4 separate posts when you could have put all that information into one? If you think, damn, I should have said that as well, there does exist an edit button.

Sorry got excited. I'll use edit instead of twittering. Not a boss sales rep, I just get enthusiastic about stuff that is designed so well, I feel compelled to tell everybody.

I use a Boss ES-8 to control my III. I will test it later, but I am pretty sure that manual mode only turns the loops on and off. It would only send midi messages in memory mode.

It does both, either or, or at the same time. In memory mode, you can separate one or more buttons to do manual functions just for that preset, go to another preset and have a different set up of manual buttons.

Hi there, for those of you who have been using ES-8 with FRACTAL III, have you guys experienced latency when switching scenes or presets? When I change them using the buttons of the Fractal itself there is zero latency, but through ES-8 it's unbearable. Any hint about configurations that could help me eliminating it? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom