• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Boss DS-1 poll

Would you like to have a Boss DS-1 drive block?

• Yes

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

stm113

Experienced
George Lynch said it was his “secret weapon” it has also graced the pedal board of countless guitar rigs. I think we need this, and an OCD in the AF2.

aens

Inspired
Look like I haven't jumped in in this thread yet.

YES please! Or is there some restrictions inside the Fractals so this one is not possible? I find the pedal has a huge volume jump when it's cranked and I can't replicate it inside the unit.

shatteredsquare

Power User
DS-1 only likes to play with certain other gain structures, it really really really likes low gain dark rich amps. Dual Rec Orange Vintage with the gain about 1/4 up, bass maxed, treble almost maxed (orange vintage treble center frequency is PERFECT guitar cut freq). DS-1 max level, dist and tone at noon. It's bonkers levels of crunchies, but it's so crystal clear you can hear every single note, but still palm mute like a lunatic, and volume rolled back is the clearest fastest clean that fits in anything. They are both orange, it's color coded for a reason!

Reactions: Rex

Rex

Legend!
...how old is this thread?
Born in 2011. Lived for one day, then died. Was resurrected a year later. Lived for three days, then died again and stayed dead for five years. Resurrected again today.
And the cycle continues. Stayed dead for yet another year, then resurrected again — for the fourth time — today. :)

I wonder how long it'll last this time. ;)

shatteredsquare

Power User
ok so DS-1 has two main components, the transistor booster and the hard clipping op amp. Reading about the Rat I saw something about it's op amps poor slew limit being a key difference between it and the DS-1. I turned up slew limit to max and turned up hard clipping, changed clipping type to hard. Set mid frequency to 500Hz and cut 12 db. Guess what it sounds like now?? Getting closer, need to find specifics on what the slew limit and clipping values equate to.

https://www.electrosmash.com/boss-ds1-analysis

Moeed Kazi

Inspired
And the cycle continues. Stayed dead for yet another year, then resurrected again — for the fourth time — today. :)

Hi Rex, any alternatives to DS1 in Axe FX III? Can any drive blocks sound similar?. Even a work arrond can help.

Rex

Legend!

And the answer is... one month! This time, the thread only stayed dead for a month before it received its fifth resurrection.

Rex

Legend!
Hi Rex, any alternatives to DS1 in Axe FX III? Can any drive blocks sound similar?. Even a work arrond can help.
I’m not an authority on the DS-1, so I won’t render an opinion. Flip through the various Drive types until you find the one that sounds closest, then tweak from there.

Top Bottom