• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Boss DS-1 poll

Would you like to have a Boss DS-1 drive block?

• Yes

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

dupere11497

Experienced
I think this one should have been in the Axe fx since the beginning! This is a classic distortion box. Just think of that early Satriani tone, Steve Vai, and so on. Having the Keeley mod option would be even greater.

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
I think this one should have been in the Axe fx since the beginning! This is a classic distortion box. Just think of that early Satriani tone, Steve Vai, and so on. Having the Keeley mod option would be even greater.
Get in line! JK. :lol
+1

the distortion in the DS-1 is pretty odd.
I can't really get close to it with the existing drive blocks.

here's what the DS-1 does to a sine wave:

it get's 'worse', here's the Keeley modded version:

so in short:
yes please!
DonPetersen, how did you get that mesurement, Im interested in seeing what the HM-2 would look like.

swass

Power User
From what I gather, the "mij" DS-1's are suppose to sound warmer than the Taiwan/or wherever else counterparts. I vaguely remember the "mij" DS-1. And from what remember it sounded pretty good... but I was going through puberty and at that time... so anything with distortion sounded good back then. Especially after a box of beer and a couple of "dubes" with your garage band buddy's... but if you think back to "Dio's" first album. Viv Campbell... Les Paul, Boss DS-1 and a JCM 800. What a great guitar tone that album had. Just check out, Dio's, "Rainbow in the Dark" for Vivian Campbell's tone with the DS-1.

However, a buddy of mine grabbed a modded one off "Evilbay" a few years back. This guy was/is a pedal monster. He loaned it to me and I gave it a whirl through a couple of my old JMP's. It sounded really, really good. nice and warm. Fattened up mids like a Thanksgiving turkey and took the shrill out. So just for shit and giggles I bought a couple used, stock "mit" DS-1's, (ay-yuck!!) -, and with my buddy's permission of course, ripped his apart, and scanned out the mod. So I did a couple for myself and wound up doing around half a dozen or so for some other local guys. Instant pedal/tube amp combination gratification.

So I guess maybe if an early, "mij" one is modeled...

diskoduck

Secret is the DS1 just sounds good with a tube amp or driven tube amp.
I was suprised that it is not yet included! It's part of so much legendary tones!!!
Please do more Drive pedals!
DS-1 PLEASE!!!

unix-guy

Legend!
Secret is the DS1 just sounds good with a tube amp or driven tube amp.
I was suprised that it is not yet included! It's part of so much legendary tones!!!
Please do more Drive pedals!
DS-1 PLEASE!!!
I think you may now have the record for necro thread revival! This thread has been dead 5+ years ;)

Rex

Legend!
I think you may now have the record for necro thread revival! This thread has been dead 5+ years ;)
Born in 2011. Lived for one day, then died. Was resurrected a year later. Lived for three days, then died again and stayed dead for five years. Resurrected again today.

faulknier

Inspired
Personally I wouldn't mind a DS-1 in the box. To me, they're like a RAT pedal: They have certain uses where they shine.

Top Bottom