Wish Boss AC-3

GaryB

Inspired
I'd like to see Fractal take a crack at modelling the Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator. I have a Helix that hasn't been out of the case since I bought my Axe 2 XL+ (I have a pair of Axe 3's now...), that I'm finally getting around to selling, and I figured I'd load in the latest firmware before I advertised it. I was several firmware versions behind, so I'm not sure when it was added, but there's an AC-3 model in there now, and it's not too bad (as acoustic sims go...). I would even go as far as to say it's marginally better than the actual AC-3 (I have one). After hearing that, I'm confident Cliff and crew could knock it out of the park.

I have some half decent acoustic sim patches that I'm using (a mix if ideas I picked up from several folks on this forum), but I'm sure if there was a model in there, it'd save a good bit of DSP horsepower over what I'm doing in my patches. In particular, I use the tube pre in my patches. I'd love to free up that amp block.

I'd like to see Fractal take a crack at modelling the Boss AC-3 acoustic simulator. I have a Helix that hasn't been out of the case since I bought my Axe 2 XL+ (I have a pair of Axe 3's now...), that I'm finally getting around to selling, and I figured I'd load in the latest firmware before I advertised it. I was several firmware versions behind, so I'm not sure when it was added, but there's an AC-3 model in there now, and it's not too bad (as acoustic sims go...). I would even go as far as to say it's marginally better than the actual AC-3 (I have one). After hearing that, I'm confident Cliff and crew could knock it out of the park.

I have some half decent acoustic sim patches that I'm using (a mix if ideas I picked up from several folks on this forum), but I'm sure if there was a model in there, it'd save a good bit of DSP horsepower over what I'm doing in my patches. In particular, I use the tube pre in my patches. I'd love to free up that amp block.

That firmware is version 3 for the Helix that just came out a week ago with that acoustic sim in it. I very seldom use my Helix, but I saw the new firmware and was curious what it sounded like. The acoustic sim is great in my opinion. That would be a great addition to my Axe 3 and FM3. Cliff is a smart man and he keeps up with what the competition is doing. I hope he picks up on this.

Just thought I'd bump this one to keep it somewhat on the radar.

As alternative, I wonder if we could get the tube pre in a drive instead of having to burn an amp block for it (see my OP where I use the tube pre in my acoustic sim patches)?

Amp blocks don't take up much (any?) of the CPU meter displayed, because they work on a different core. Also, having the tube pre on a drive block would mean no power amp coloration, which is an important part to many of its uses, ex. as a simulated power amp for physical rack preamps.

+1 to the acoustic sim vote however

Amp blocks don't take up much (any?) of the CPU meter displayed, because they work on a different core. Also, having the tube pre on a drive block would mean no power amp coloration, which is an important part to many of its uses, ex. as a simulated power amp for physical rack preamps.
Agreed. However, I'm using more processing that just the amp block to get my acoustic sim. My thought was that if Fractal could model the AC3, they could do it more efficiently (DSP-wise) as it's own block than what I'm doing in my patches. Additionally, I wind up burning the entire amp block, where I only need the tube pre in that signal path. It'd be nice to free up that block. If I could get something reasonably close to the tube pre in a drive block, that'd be a workable alternative.

Note that I'm not expecting to make mags sound like "just like" an acoustic, just something that would be usable for live purposes.

What about loading acoustic piezo IR's meant for use with electric guitars? I bought a 3sigma bundle, and it included IR's for acoustic pickup, piezo and magnetic pickups (iirc, been a minute).

What about loading acoustic piezo IR's meant for use with electric guitars? I bought a 3sigma bundle, and it included IR's for acoustic pickup, piezo and magnetic pickups (iirc, been a minute).
I've tried a bunch of those, but I didn't really care for how they sounded with mags. They sound great with actual Piezo's. The acoustic sim patches I have now are working fine. What prompted my OP from a year ago was a Helix update that had the AC3 modeled, and they did a good job of it. I figured if Line6 could do a good job, Fractal could do a great job. That, and I'd really like to free up that amp block for other purposes.

Just thought I'd keep it on the radar in case I'm not the only one who would be interested. Incidentally, I have an AC3 that I'd be happy to loan to Cliff for the cause....

Recently heard the pod go acoustic sim and it was very convincing. I've done something similar with a bunch of stuff in a patch, acoustic IR, eq's, multiband comp, but this was just really easy to use. Something like that would be great in one block or part of say an eq block like they have it in the pod.

Back
Top Bottom