BOSE S1 - possible new FRFR option

captainbrew

Just got these at work and have only listened to some music via bluetooth on it.
Seems to sound really good for such a small footprint.

Not the cheapest option out there but might be something to consider given the size and overall sound quality.

I plan to try my AX8 through it later this week.

I use a Roland Cube Street EX wedge.

I would be interested in finding out how well the Bose sounds and how loud it would be. Both amps can be battery powered which I like. Used the battery once on stage at a blues jam and would like to see a few extra db's and not requiring a line out or microphone in front. Sadly, the rechargeable battery pack on the Bose is an extra cost option and not available yet for the Roland. (I use alkaline AA x 8 when not using the supplied AC adapter.

Mostly, I use my EX wedge for low volume rehearsals and for writing and editing patches on my AX8 or AFB. The EX sounds great and has the advantage of stereo speakers which I send separate L-R from the AX8.

Best way to find out is to do the same as I did: Use the Bose at a rehearsal and see how it sits with a drummer in the mix.

I have a few Bose products and they all perform pretty well. I'll be following this thread with interest.

I’ve always found Bose products to be too mid-rangey and “hi-fi” sounding for live music. Never enough tight bass and “oomph”.

Update:

Got to try the S1 Pro with an AX8 yesterday and the results were quite good overall.
It only has a 6" woofer and only goes down to about 70hz so keep that in mind. However the overall tone on especially the clean sounds and lightly overdriven sounds was quite good.

I'd recommend it for jazz or cleaner types of tones if you're looking for something with a nice spread (not too directional) and weighs only about 15lbs.

The modulation effects and reverbs sounded great through it especially.

mnaX89h.jpg

I have been using the S1. I have only used it live for a couple of shows so far (Iron Maiden tribute, and with a Judas Priest tribute band). It works great for live and practice situations... but struggles during rehearsals. Basically, without monitor support (rehearsal), the guitar player on the other side of the room had trouble hearing me over his Marshall (the bass is on that side too). I had no trouble hearing myself.

But for practicing... it's great! Excellent punch and responsiveness. Nice and smooth. It handles the AX8 exactly like I wanted it to. When I need more volume, I switch to my JBLs PRX612s.

my gig partner got one for his solo gigs. this is a very small speaker. i'd say it's good for 50 people or less, therefore basically a small personal monitor at quiet gigs.

the bass and highs are "hyped", so you may have to EQ those down. we used it in addition to my rcf 12" monitor at a gig, both placed in front of us and angled up. when i turned it up so that we could hear it, it immediately caused feedback on my partner's beta 87 mic, even though it was on my side of the stage. so i had to quickly EQ out some 10k and above-ish.

the battery option is great, and it does sound "good." to me it sounds like other bose products that feel more "hi-fi" for home listening, rather than gig use. but it doesn't sound "hollow" like other bose products, as if the mids were completely missing. but again, hyped lows and highs can be troublesome with mics.

this definitely would not compete with a drumset, possibly even in a jazz setting where you want that clean headroom. you'd have to try it yourself. but definitely not for the chug chug with a rock band.

bedroom levels, solo/duo small gigs (think coffee shop corner), and other similar small situations, it's fine. anything more, i personally wouldn't suggest it. great tech in there though!

I mainly use mine for an acoustic duo main, and it gets louder than the manager prefers :)

Last week, I used it as my monitor for the AX8 in a band gig and it sounded great. And loud. Surprised me for how small it is.

How does it compare to the Roland Cube Street EX wedge? Based on comments, it would seem they perform about the same.

I use the Street EX to set up presets on my AX8 and AFB at home and for the occasional jam a lower volumes.

How does it compare to the Roland Cube Street EX wedge? Based on comments, it would seem they perform about the same.

I use the Street EX to set up presets on my AX8 and AFB at home and for the occasional jam a lower volumes.
i think this sounded much better than any of the cube options from roland. i didn't get to test how fully loud it would go, and when bass would start breaking up. but the tone is much better.

this is probably the best choice for a small battery-powered speaker, assuming its volume works out.

Did a gig with the S1 the other day, duet Guitar, bass and vocals, on battery, with the AX8 running on battery. Private party in a public park. Anyway, the gig went well, we had enough volume to cover the area where folks were hanging out, and the S1 sounded great for the AX8 and the Bass.

Ran the AX8 for 3 hours on a battery ... S1+AX8 is the ultimate busking rig.

Black and Decker Power Station ...

Not the best, as it uses a lead acid batter (I think), I'm on the lookout for better power.

Did a gig with the S1 the other day, duet Guitar, bass and vocals, on battery, with the AX8 running on battery. Private party in a public park. Anyway, the gig went well, we had enough volume to cover the area where folks were hanging out, and the S1 sounded great for the AX8 and the Bass.

Ran the AX8 for 3 hours on a battery ... S1+AX8 is the ultimate busking rig.
DB: why not use the battery that comes with the S1? Or were you using the Power Station for the AX-8?

Back
Top Bottom