Boot up sound

sbruce

Inspired
Should I be getting huge pops when you turn in the follow normal procedure of connecting gear before powering on, and my AX8 makes terrible pops and screeches on boot up. Almost blew me away this morning through our PA.

Like mentioned above, I always use this procedure when turning on gear...Power amps on last...off first.

Like mentioned above, I find it useful to follow this procedure when turning on gear...Power amps on last...off first.
This is the standard, power to the speakers on last and off first. This applies also to monitors, etc. Turn on mixers, effects, stage gear, connect mics (especially phantom powered ones) before powering up the speakers and all those clicks and pops from starting equipment will be unheard.

We have a flown Meyer PA, so the best I can do is mute the channel. Board and speakers are in 24/7. Thanks.

I thought standard practice would be to have power amps off, or at the very least channels muted until everyone had setup?

It's no different to someone plugging in/out an acoustic guitar etc which will cause a pop through FOH

What does that mean?
Why are you are unable to turn the power amps on or off?
Just means that it is a permanent installation, not a PA they transport to shows and what not. "Flown", in particular, means some of the mains are hung from a high position and pointing down to the audience.

Power Amps certainly are still powered off and on in these setups ;).

Not ours :). They are Meyer self powered and due to some issues with our digital board, auto sensing on/off doesn't work so they do not shut off. We can of course mute a channel, which is what I'll need to do from now on.

Not ours :). They are Meyer self powered and due to some issues with our digital board, auto sensing on/off doesn't work so they do not shut off. We can of course mute a channel, which is what I'll need to do from now on.

Sounds like an integrator needs to be fired. The ICs and amps in those Meyers will have a shorter lifespan if you keep them running 24/7/365.

More on topic... yes, treat turning the AX8 on/off just like any other outboard processor or even like plugging in a cable. Always mute the channel first.

I have never noticed any sound when turning my Ax8 on/off - It is definitely quiet when turning off, on may be different

I actually talked with Meyer and they said their gear is designed to remain on 24/7 and to not worry about it.

Mine makes a crazy noise in boot up...does anyone else's?

.. with our digital board, auto sensing on/off doesn't work so they do not shut off. We can of course mute a channel, which is what I'll need to do from now on.

On Topic
Mute da channel so no poppage. Or another way is to power up the AX8 with the XLR's disconnected, then plug them in. It may still pop the channel, but at a much lower volume through the system.

Off Topic
Amps are not designed to stay on all the time, it will decrease the life span the more they are on regardless of who manufactured the circuitry (IME anyways). In any large venue that I have played at (churches/auditoriums/concert venues) they most of the time had a sequencer that would remotely turn off the amps without any issues. Even with a digital board, there should be a way/process to shut them off remotely. Since you posted this yesterday, I may make the assumption this is a church? If so I would have your audio engineers reconsider their logic with keeping power-amps on 24/7. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions as to why.

Simply not a possibly for us. Again, I spoke directly with Meyer and they assured me it was not an issue. They said their products stay on 24/7 in many large scale environments.

The issue is a ground issue in our new facility. In power is off at the board, the processors and active cabs (which have no on/off switches anyway, so the processors/speakers can't tell what's the grounding issue and what's actually audio.

Possible idea, create a patch with output 1 turned all the way down. Make sure it's selected before you shut the ax8 off so it will be loaded when you power up... Not tried this just a thought.

Meyer is great $$$$$$$$ pa gear.

Back
Top Bottom