Booster Pedal

EricGlass

Inspired
I am wondering about the order in which a booster pedal should be placed in a chain using an FM3. I purchased a TC Electronics Spark Booster pedal, which is supposed to add up to 20dbs clean gain. I put it in front of my FM3 and I can hear barely any volume difference even with the level cranked on it. I'm wondering if it is supposed to go after the FM3 in the chain?

And before I am asked, yes I know I can do this internally in the FM3 but I am often using my expression pedals for other things. I just need something to give me a volume boost for leads.

I would consider using send/return inputs on the FM3 to connect your pedal (p.37 in the manual), and then you can place it wherever you want to in the grid. It is hard to imagine a user story where you would need an external pedal to perform that function. We all need that/do that with our FM3s :)

Last edited:
If you want a clean solo boost it needs to be post amp which can easily be done a number of ways within the FM3. If you're dead set on using the pedal it needs to in the loop but your going to incur some extra noise. You really only typically need around 3 db boost to go from rhythm to lead.

A booster pedal is typically intended to go before your Amp (not necessarily right before).

As such, depending on the Amp settings you might notice little volume difference as the boost is pushing the Amp into overdrive.

If you want a level increase, try using a Volume block or (Null) Filter block after the amp.

If you’re using a lot of amp gain, all the front-end boosting in the world won’t make it any louder.
"Amp" gain, no. And I have the volume levels set so that it is just hitting red on the output meters. The pedal is being used for clean boost only.

I am using a Xotic Super Clean directly in front of the FM3 as a pickup interface to equalize the input level for input devices with lower volume (e.g. single coils) and as a solo boost (for compression / amp saturation, not directly volume because then it should come after the amp; be careful with input clipping when running hotter pickups or with direct feedback (e.g. from monitors) on the pickups).

"Amp" gain, no. And I have the volume levels set so that it is just hitting red on the output meters. The pedal is being used for clean boost only.

I don't believe this will work in the front not matter what you try as there is a soft limiter that kicks in at around 6db built in to prevent input clipping. If your already kissing the red without the boost them you have less than the 6db cushion. Going to have to be in a loop and even then I question whether 20db will be able to be handled without some issues. Unfortunately, boosts are the one area where you're going to get far better results in the box than external.

You can use an external switch (pedal) to activate a Filter block placed at the end of your signal chain. Set the Filter to Null and up its level 3db or whatever volume boost you're looking for. This will give you a transparent volume increase that you can tap on / off with your foot. It won't color your sound.

You can use an external switch (pedal) to activate a Filter block placed at the end of your signal chain. Set the Filter to Null and up its level 3db or whatever volume boost you're looking for. This will give you a transparent volume increase that you can tap on / off with your foot. It won't color your sound.
This... Better off to use the FM3 blocks. less noise, less cables, more control. You would use a boost at the end of the chain, but depending on the amp\gain you might need more or less boost.

afaik from Ax3, if you are hitting red on output meters, you are digitally clipping the output - not a good thing.

This... Better off to use the FM3 blocks. less noise, less cables, more control. You would use a boost at the end of the chain, but depending on the amp\gain you might need more or less boost.

I have a midi mouse midi switcher, would I be able to use that to switch on and off say a filter block?

Last edited:
You can also use scene levels to add a few dB to your lead scene as well. No extra blocks needed.

Scene controllers would also let you control the level of specific blocks per scene as well. That would avoid causing any jumps in your reverb or delay tails as you switch scenes as well.

I use it with my Line 6 Powercabs, so, not so

I have no experience with the Powercabs but I just checked the midi mouse manual and as far as I see it only does Program Changes (PCs).

I checked the Powercab manual and it supports controlling things with both CCs (Control Change) and PCs.

PCs are used for changing presets on the Powercab. CCs are used for changing parameters within the presets.

What are you using the midi mouse to change?

...for any outputs, stay away from the red zone.
The red here that we're worried about is on the actual physical output LEDs; you can be in the red in the software VU meters with no issues, though, for preset leveling and sanity, you probably don't want to be dimed solid red the whole time. Most of my presets sit around +3dB (so just a little into the red).

Back
Top Bottom