Boost

ckofahl

Inspired
Ok, here goes, I'm a newbie, I just got my ultra and am really digging it. I do have a question, I searched the forums and Wiki, but can't seem to locate an answer. On the amp blocks under the type dial, you can press enter and it's a boost. Is it possible to assign this feature to a IA so that you can boost? i know about the filter and set to null to boost, but was just wondering if this can be done?
thanks

ckofahl said:
Ok, here goes, I'm a newbie, I just got my ultra and am really digging it. I do have a question, I searched the forums and Wiki, but can't seem to locate an answer. On the amp blocks under the type dial, you can press enter and it's a boost. Is it possible to assign this feature to a IA so that you can boost? i know about the filter and set to null to boost, but was just wondering if this can be done?
thanks

If you controller is capable of sending sysex midi messages then yes it could be done .. Otherwise no.

Mik.

Thanks for the response, I've tried the filter block and it works well, I was just wondering about the feature of the boost that is avaliable through the amp itself by pressing "enter" at the "type" knob? I love the flexibility of this unit!

ckofahl said:
Thanks for the response, I've tried the filter block and it works well, I was just wondering about the feature of the boost that is avaliable through the amp itself by pressing "enter" at the "type" knob? I love the flexibility of this unit!

FWIW, it is EXACTLY the same thing (other than using an additional block). Like has been said, if you have a controller that can send system exclusive info, you can do this. Otherwise, no. I had mine set to do this for awhile but a constant 12db boost is hardly ever what I want, it is usually a lot less.

javajunkie said:
ckofahl said:

FWIW, it is EXACTLY the same thing (other than using an additional block). Like has been said, if you have a controller that can send system exclusive info, you can do this. Otherwise, no. I had mine set to do this for awhile but a constant 12db boost is hardly ever what I want, it is usually a lot less.

What he said. It's not roughly the same, it's exactly the same as putting a null-filter in front.

I usually add my Null Filter boost at the end of the chain. What would the difference be in front of the amp block, or what advantage would that be instead of boosting everything at the end of the chain? Just curious if I'm doing this wrong or if it make no difference.

gtrdave said:
I usually add my Null Filter boost at the end of the chain. What would the difference be in front of the amp block, or what advantage would that be instead of boosting everything at the end of the chain? Just curious if I'm doing this wrong or if it make no difference.

If you set yout null filter boost before the amp you will get more gain/distortion ... after the amp - more volume ... It of course depends on a settings used ..

Mik.

mik said:
gtrdave said:

If you set yout null filter boost before the amp you will get more gain/distortion ... after the amp - more volume ... It of course depends on a settings used ..

Mik.

It is like adding a very transparent gain stage in front of the amp. Which can drive you amp into clipping sooner. If it is too much it can turn the tone to mud on some amps/settings.

mik said:
gtrdave said:

Mik.

Sounds pretty cool to add gain and boost at the same time (for a solo). I had no idea....always something new to learn here. Can't wait to try that. Can't say I'd always do it that way but for some of my patches that is exactly what I'd want to do. Very cool, Thanks

gtrdave said:
mik said:
gtrdave said:

Mik.

Sounds pretty cool to add gain and boost at the same time (for a solo). I had no idea....always something new to learn here. Can't wait to try that. Can't say I'd always do it that way but for some of my patches that is exactly what I'd want to do. Very cool, Thanks

I will do that often for a solo. I'll have either a drive block or filter in front to drive the amp harder and a filter after the amp for the volume boost.

Back
Top Bottom