Boost vs Input Trim vs Level boosting...?

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
Hi all, this might be a ramble, so skip to the last paragraph for a tl;dr if you'd like!

I've been REALLY enjoying hitting the front end of amps hard lately, either with the V19 Drive block (which is like melted butter but better!), or an EQ set up to cut lows and high highs, and then boosted hard with the Level parameter.

It got me to thinking about the Boost switch and the Input Trim knob - I've read that the Boost switch is identical to having set the Input Trim to 4.00... Which makes sense. But it got me wondering, what precisely does Input Trim do?

Now I understand its role from Cliff's handy info on the matter, in that it's basically Input Drive but without and downstream interaction with other settings, and no EQ adjustment (versus Input Drive, which has the bright cap on it, etc)... But how different from boosting the Input Trim is running a block earlier in the chain at a higher Level? What does Input Trim actually DO?

tl;dr:
1) Is Input Trim the same as a neutral block (ie flat EQ) before the amp, with a boosted Level?
2) If you disengage the Bright switch - thereby taking out the bright cap on the Drive - does the Input Drive become functionally and sonically identical to the Input Trim?

And how do YOU prefer to "goose" an amp? I'd love to use the Boost switch but I find the jump too big for most purposes... an adjustable value for Boost would be handy!

...how different from boosting the Input Trim is running a block earlier in the chain at a higher Level?
No different.

What does Input Trim actually DO?
It raises and lowers the input to the amp.

If you disengage the Bright switch - thereby taking out the bright cap on the Drive - does the Input Drive become functionally and sonically identical to the Input Trim?
Pretty much, though depending on the circuitry of the specific amp model, there may still be some difference.

And how do YOU prefer to "goose" an amp?
Depends on my mood and which way sounds better to me at the moment.

Great! Thanks for the answers Rex.

Since I've got you, I might ask - where in the signal chain is the Character parameter applied? Is it at the input, or output of the block?

Back
Top Bottom