Boost using XS-1

rtcook

Experienced
This is now possible with v. 9.00, but how? I know this is easy for some people, but I'm a little lost. Anyone care to explain in simple terms?

Thanks!

Roger

Where is your switch plugged into.

Basically, you need to assign the switch to an external controller, then assigning that controller to the boost modifier. You go to the boost parameter, hit enter, and assign modifier source.

In order give you more specific intructions, we need to know what you are plugging the switch into.

Its a regular round on/off foot switch plugged into the Switch 1+2 of the MFC-101. Set the XS-1 in the MFC-101 to Latching. Found the modifer for the boost, but the list does not list a switch, just externals and that's where it gets foggy for me. Sorry, this is probably simple for some of you guys, but I never got into this before and the manuals are not helping me.

Thanks,

Roger

on the axe-fx go to IO-CTRL menu scroll down to an unused external controller. Hit enter on the axe-fx. This will put it in learn mode. press down on the switch you have plugged into the mfc. That should assign the pedal to the external control. Go to the boost in the amp block, hit enter and assign that external control as the modifier source.

Ok. Another dumb question. How can I tell if an external controller is unused? I have two Mission pedal connected to 1 and 2 expression pedals on the MFC-101. One is a volume (1) and the other is used for a Wah (2). I think the volume doesnt use an external controller and I think the other is set to external 1.

Last edited:
Well if you didn't set yourself one is set to min out volume. The wah I presume is using ext1. You can tell by looking which external controller the control parameter of the wah is set to. If you're worried about it, just set the switch to external 8 or higher

Tried what you said. When I push the footswitch button, learning just keeps on flashing. I'm guessing its not seeing the switch. Its a brand new switch, but it is a mono plug, not a TRS plug. Could this be the problem?

Update. Tried setting the CC to the external 2 CC and then set the modifier to external 2. The switch now works. I can see it on and off on the modifer graph. But, when I try it with my guitar it does not work. It is either on (sound) or off (no sound). It does not turn the boost on and off. It kinda like a kill or mute switch now. I'm confused.

Anybody?

Last edited:
Tried what you said. When I push the footswitch button, learning just keeps on flashing. I'm guessing its not seeing the switch. Its a brand new switch, but it is a mono plug, not a TRS plug. Could this be the problem?

The MFC will accept a mono cable. Page 31 of the MFC manual:

Each External Switch jack on the MFC-101 can accept two switches via a TRS-to-dual-TS or “Insert” type cable. A TRS cable connected to “Jack1+2” will have Switch 1 on the TIP and Switch 2 on the RING. A TRS cable connected to “Jack3+4” will have Switch 3 on the TIP and Switch 4 on the RING. It also is possible to connect a single switch to either one of the jacks using a TS (normal guitar) cable, but it is recommended that you disable the MIDI function of the unused second switch (2 or 4) when doing so.

Also check out page 32. Make sure your XS#1 is actually set to a CC# and TypHDW. If it's set to #off, then it's not sending midi, and the axe won't learn.

Watched the video. I have is all set up like I mentioned above and the switch actually works. I can see it in the modifer. Ball on the line moves back and forth on the line. But, when I hit the footswitch while playing, it goes from outputed sound to mute. It does not turn the boost on and off. What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug or am I missing something else? Has anyone else got this to work?

Thanks,

Roger

Watched the video. I have is all set up like I mentioned above and the switch actually works. I can see it in the modifer. Ball on the line moves back and forth on the line. But, when I hit the footswitch while playing, it goes from outputed sound to mute. It does not turn the boost on and off. What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug or am I missing something else? Has anyone else got this to work?

Thanks,

Roger

Post your patch and tell us what external controller you set up the switch to use. It sounds like you may have used a CC# number that has already beed taken. What CC# did you use?

Not home right now, but I can post the patch. I believe it was #17, external controller 2. Is that not right?

17 should be fine,

if all your IO-CTRL settings are at default.
Please post the patch when you can. Also, you need to be sure auto engage is set to off.

I will post the patch tonight for you to look at. I believe auto engage is off. Thanks for your help, Sean!

Ok. I figured out what the problem was. Somehow (and I didn't notice) the Input Volume CC was set to 17 as well. Changed it back to 10 and now it works just fine. Athough on the Advanced screen I expected the Boost On/Off indicator to change from On to Off when I hit the footswitch like the knobs show movement when other modifiers are set. Thanks everyone for the help, but it just plain turned out to be my inexperience with modifers, pedals and switches.

Roger

Last edited:
Having some issues here myself. Here's what I've done so far - just taking any generic patch and assigning XS1 to the boost parameter.

On the MFC MIDI: XS1 #008 Ch01 TypHDW
On the MFC Setup: XS1 Type Toggle
On the Axe-Fx: I/O-CTRL, selected EXT CTRL 12, hit enter to go to learning, hit the switch, it changed the value to 8.
In the preset: Amp block, Advanced tab, Boost - Hit enter
- Set the source to EXTRN 12
- Min Off
- Max On
-AutoEng Off

The MIDI light flashes when I hit the switch, and in the modifier menu graph, I see the line move bottom left to top right, so the switch is engaging and the CC is being sent, but boost isn't turning on.

What am I missing? I'm using a Mission TT-F.

Edit: Reboot of the Axe and it's working, heh. Of note, like RTCook said, the boost parameter does engage on the Axe, but if you're looking at the edit screen it never switches from Off to On when it engages.

Back
Top Bottom