Boost switch on high gain amps

Very rarely for me, I think I've done it once or twice for variation/experimentation but haven't found it very useful for the high gainers. I tend to either run the amp's preamp gain where I want it without internal boost or use an external drive block like a TS808 with drive down and level up as an external boost for high gain stuff, sort of like a traditional amp rig.

Yeah that's generally what I do too, because everybody else does it. But why do we want external boost from a drive block rather than flipping the boost switch? Is it because of the fact that it's just a switch with no controllable parameters, or is it generally an "inappropriate" way of boosting the signal for high gain amps?

The Boost switch boosts the entire signal (all freq's). You may find this less desirable, for ex. in the low end area.

A Drive block boosts just part of the freq. spectrum, adding gain. Many use a Drive block for this reason, to make the bass tighter.

Thanks, that makes sense.

But when you add say a T808, I don't really understand how the low cut and high cut works, at least not the default values. I can't remember the exact default values, but I think the low cut is set way up to like 600-700hz and the high cut around 1k. I would think that this means that only the frequencies in between are passed on to the amp block, but that can't be right, right?

Thanks, that makes sense.

But when you add say a T808, I don't really understand how the low cut and high cut works, at least not the default values. I can't remember the exact default values, but I think the low cut is set way up to like 600-700hz and the high cut around 1k. I would think that this means that only the frequencies in between are passed on to the amp block, but that can't be right, right?

The Drive block distorts the entire signal. While doing that, it emphasizes (boosts) a particular area, in this case 700 and up. The TS is known for being a specific mid boost for which it needs a small area. On the AFXII it's 700-800 Hz :)

wow. i was using the boost switch on all of my high gain patches (i love gain, obviously - haha).

during last nights rehearsal, i decided to turn it off (based on what i read on this thread) and am amazed at the difference in my tone!!!!!! the high gain stuff now has way more breathing room, and the low end is much, much clearer now. many, many thanks everyone.

The Boost switch boosts the entire signal (all freq's). You may find this less desirable, for ex. in the low end area.

This is why most of the time the boost is of no use to me. Would only use if it I was using some ultra tight sounding amp that I wanted to loosen up a bit, or if I was actually going for a looser heavy sound in general. But even then I'd be more likely to use an OD, or even more likely a filter block.

one thing i tried before if you dont want to use a drive block is turn amp boost on and and use a hi low cut value in the amp adv settings. so it like mimicing a drive boost but without distorting the signal. get some nice results

must try that...... im fighting for cpu at the moment

Is turning on the boost switch in the amp block the same as turning up the input gain? I have the switch on for my main amps and the gain at less than 5. If I turn it off, it the same thing as turning the gain down or are there other things going on in that switch?

Sent from Windows Phone Tapatalk

Is turning on the boost switch in the amp block the same as turning up the input gain? I have the switch on for my main amps and the gain at less than 5. If I turn it off, it the same thing as turning the gain down or are there other things going on in that switch?

Read Yek's post. #4

If the boost switch is the exact same thing as turning the gain up, I don't see the point in it. Why wouldn't I just turn the gain up? That's why I an confused.

If the boost switch is the exact same thing as turning the gain up, I don't see the point in it. Why wouldn't I just turn the gain up? That's why I an confused.

Because sometime it is very useful. I like it in mid gain amps more but I use it in high gain as well at times. Depends on the amp.
:)

To me, turning down the gain and turning on boost sounds better 93.8294% of the time

I usually turn the boost on in all high gain situations and then use a Full OD drive block with a Null diode setting. Then I dial up the mix on the drive block until I get the right balance of tightness and mass.

Back
Top Bottom